E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Unusual noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although rare, tonight was one of those occasions I felt like driving home in silence and just enjoy the exhaust note of the V8. However, I noticed what can best be described as a very faint but loud-pitched squeal coming from what I determined was the right, front quadrant of the car. It is similar to a feedback noise created from interference, but comes and goes intermittently. I can't try to determine the source of the sound and drive at the same time, and haven't yet had the opportunity to have a passenger help me out. I just wanted to ask if any of you hear this sound, and if so, what might be the source? It is easily disguised by turning on the radio, the A/C fan going at a good speed, etc. As a side note, I do have better-than-average hearing and a tendency to be overly-annoyed by buzzes, squeaks and the sort.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='585757' date='May 21 2008, 07:55 PM
Although rare, tonight was one of those occasions I felt like driving home in silence and just enjoy the exhaust note of the V8. However, I noticed what can best be described as a very faint but loud-pitched squeal coming from what I determined was the right, front quadrant of the car. It is similar to a feedback noise created from interference, but comes and goes intermittently. I can't try to determine the source of the sound and drive at the same time, and haven't yet had the opportunity to have a passenger help me out. I just wanted to ask if any of you hear this sound, and if so, what might be the source? It is easily disguised by turning on the radio, the A/C fan going at a good speed, etc. As a side note, I do have better-than-average hearing and a tendency to be overly-annoyed by buzzes, squeaks and the sort.
I get the same noise when I'm going 120-130+ on my car my guess it is either something with the car's ecu or electrical functions or possibly an air leak from your front window...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Anyone else with thoughts and/or experiences...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='585778' date='May 21 2008, 10:29 PM
I get the same noise when I'm going 120-130+ on my car my guess it is either something with the car's ecu or electrical functions or possibly an air leak from your front window...

holy crap, i thought i was the only one with the weird buzzing noise at high speeds. glad to hear i'm not the only one.

i started a thread on it a while back...one guy suggested it might be the limiter, but i checked mine and my limiter was off. still have no clue why the buzzing/interference noise comes when driving fast.

JDoug, how fast were you going when you heard the buzzing noise?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Unfortunately, nowhere near those speeds. 65 at best. The noise I am hearing wouldn't be heard over the radio in most situations.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='586645' date='May 22 2008, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately, nowhere near those speeds. 65 at best. The noise I am hearing wouldn't be heard over the radio in most situations.

i agree, the buzzing sound would be hard to hear over the radio, and i know there are some people who have a hard time hearing high-pitch frequencies. i was able to hear it while the radio was on...perhaps it was also louder because i was going faster. at any rate, i think it's something to do with the seals and probably isn't anything else, but at the higher speeds, it doesn't instill much confidence in the car.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by owwo' post='586734' date='May 23 2008, 12:58 AM
i agree, the buzzing sound would be hard to hear over the radio, and i know there are some people who have a hard time hearing high-pitch frequencies. i was able to hear it while the radio was on...perhaps it was also louder because i was going faster. at any rate, i think it's something to do with the seals and probably isn't anything else, but at the higher speeds, it doesn't instill much confidence in the car.
I think I heard the same noise and I sorta thought it was from the wing mirrors.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

it's not your navigation DVD being read once in a while?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='586878' date='May 23 2008, 12:28 PM
it's not your navigation DVD being read once in a while?
Dunno if that what's affecting the OP, but that DVD player noise really, really annoys me. Definitely a case of an expensive car very slightly let down by a cheap-as-chips component.

I wouldn't accept that low a quality from a ?75 home DVD player and whilst I appreciate a car component has to put up with a lot more than a home player BMW should have gone for a decent drive.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Not the Nav DVD. I ejected the disc and still hear the noise. I am beginning to think it's the mirrors, seals or something on the vehicle creating wind resistance as it isn't present at low speeds.

Quick Reply: Unusual noise