E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uncomfortable seats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

i'm used to very stiff and narrow seats in porsches and other sports cars so the 2005 sports seats in my e60 are TOO comfortable for me. i feel like i am sitting on a sofa and can probably fall asleep if i tried.

but if i were used to lexus and cadillacs, then i'm sure i would think the e60 seats are not as comfy...
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RaZCaL' post='278232' date='May 4 2006, 06:51 PM
Anyone have problem with the seats in the e60 or is it just me? I have the premium package with leather seats that has the lumbar support (not comfort seats) and I find them very uncomfortable. After sitting through long rides, my lower back starts to hurt. I also find the back seats not very comfortable.
Anyone else experience this?
I dont know what it is but already on my second e60 and i can not find a nice position for my headrest. I know i should not be resting my head when driving but have you driven the new volvo? I think they designed those seats especially for me. I like the way they feel.

First car: regular seats
Second car: sport seats
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

I have to say that it is only the headrests that are annoying on the standard or sports seats, when I tried the comfort seats out they didn't seem to go down that far compared with the part manual sport seat and I like to sit really low.

So part manual sport seats with comfort headrests would be my choice.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Members

You are correct, standard seats of the E60 are not comfortable at all. even with Lumbar support. My car originaly was fittede with standard seats in Dakota leather and they were terrible sprcially for long trips. Seats of my older car (E39) were much more supportive. Any how, I am a very happy man now as I replaced these seats with BMW comfort seats. Oh what a diiference
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='278391
Anyone have problem with the seats in the e60 or is it just me? I have the premium package with leather seats that has the lumbar support (not comfort seats) and I find them very uncomfortable. After sitting through long rides, my lower back starts to hurt. I also find the back seats not very comfortable.
Anyone else experience this?
Stock seats have little support, as I found out with a 04 loaner. Leather seemed of lesser quality too. :'(

I have the sports seats and, like Tony the Tiger says, they're great. Nice and snug with great side bolstering. Very sportscar like. A couple of qualifers though. The underside of my right thigh tends to ache after long drives, say 3 hours or more. Maybe I can adjust the seat better. Entry isn't as easy as the other seats because of the bolstering. I mastered a nifty move on entry thats now second nature.

I tested the comfort seats, and they were clearly more comfortable than the sports seats. Just didn't like the look of them (particularly the headrest thingy) and seemed too pricey at the time. I'll get them next time though.

CVT Benhogan
Old 08-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='324962' date='Aug 21 2006, 07:08 PM
I have to say that it is only the headrests that are annoying on the standard or sports seats, when I tried the comfort seats out they didn't seem to go down that far compared with the part manual sport seat and I like to sit really low.

So part manual sport seats with comfort headrests would be my choice.
...BINGO!! Let me know if you find any of these seats anywhere!

I travel 1000+KM per week (long distance motorway drives) so seating comfort is absolutely crucial for me. I have found an ideal seating position now, but had to invest time testing/searching for it. Before then I also started getting lower back aches. The small adjustments that the (part) electric Sport Seats allow you to do are a big help to getting that perfect position.

But as gIzzE wrote above, what's up with the headrests on the Sports Seats? Is there ANYONE on planet earth who's back/neck is shaped to lean comfortably on these headrests? - I am also prepared to let animals join in this competition!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:20 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='324882' date='Aug 21 2006, 01:22 PM
I know i should not be resting my head when driving but have you driven the new volvo? I think they designed those seats especially for me. I like the way they feel.
Agreed about the Volvo seats. They are as good as any BMW comfort seats, BMW is charging $3000... But then, I wouldn't want a Volvo anyway.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Members

In response to xBMWx request, you can get comfort seats from a very reliable supplier in Germany, the company name is bavariateile they could be found at ebay, you may also try this link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E60-Komfort-Lederausstattung-komplett-original-BMW_W0QQitemZ190023053673QQihZ009QQcategoryZ53954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
One word about comfort seats, the head rests looks[u] nice but I definitly prefer the standard one as with the comfort seat head rest you get the feeling feeling that you have laways to lean your head forward, which is not very comfortable.

Talking about the Volvo seats, which I always considered to have the best ergonomic design I have ever experienced, till I had these comofort seats which are as comfortable specially in long trips plus the added vlaue of vast range of adjustment.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='325326' date='Aug 22 2006, 04:57 PM
In response to xBMWx request, you can get comfort seats from a very reliable supplier in Germany, the company name is bavariateile they could be found at ebay, you may also try this link

I have bought from them before, that is who I got my M5 steering wheel with paddle shift from, good company.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Originally Posted by mwaly' post='324972' date='Aug 21 2006, 06:36 PM
You are correct, standard seats of the E60 are not comfortable at all. even with Lumbar support. My car originaly was fittede with standard seats in Dakota leather and they were terrible sprcially for long trips. Seats of my older car (E39) were much more supportive. Any how, I am a very happy man now as I replaced these seats with BMW comfort seats. Oh what a diiference
Hi there, when you say you had them replaced, did you get the BMW dealership to replace them or source the seats yourself and fitted them yourself? By the way how much did they cost?

I've had a Merc and Audi before but have found that the Sports Seats in my 530d are giving me back pain, my wife suggested a small tube pillow which has sorted out the back pain but doesn't look cool

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable seats?