E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Uncomfortable seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='278462' date='May 5 2006, 08:56 AM
At least with the comfort seats in the E60 (unlike our E53) you can adjust the bolsters on the torso to give you a snug fit. But the butt/thigh area still lacks the bolstering that I had on the E39 sport seats.
Interesting. I am pretty thin and feel snug in my comfort seats - I have my side bolsters in the narrowest setting and the top articulating back set pretty forward. Can anyone tell me if the sport seats are narrower?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='278509' date='May 5 2006, 03:38 PM
Interesting. I am pretty thin and feel snug in my comfort seats - I have my side bolsters in the narrowest setting and the top articulating back set pretty forward. Can anyone tell me if the sport seats are narrower?
No Sports Seats are wider, can't pinch you at the sides as well as Comfort Seats.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RaZCaL' post='278232' date='May 5 2006, 01:51 AM
Anyone have problem with the seats in the e60 or is it just me? I have the premium package with leather seats that has the lumbar support (not comfort seats) and I find them very uncomfortable. After sitting through long rides, my lower back starts to hurt. I also find the back seats not very comfortable.
Anyone else experience this?
I have standard seats with leather.

I've found it much harder to get comfy in the e60 than in 3-series standard or sport seats. I think this is partly the seats and partly the steering which is quite heavy.

One particular problem is the neck rest which is generally too high and too far back to provide comfortable support (and I am 6 foot 2).
Old 05-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I can too confirm that the standart seats totaly suck for long trips.... my lower back hurts and my right hip is almost numb.... The back support is simply very very bad....
Comfort seats next time or not a BMW at all

I guess a little pillow under my lower back should help???
Old 08-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Members

I agree, standard seats in my 530, now one week old, are not very comfortable. After about 30 minutes of driving, like sitting on a wooden bench. I should have opted for the comfort seats, did not even consider them when I was picking options. I will get them next time for sure.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I actually prefer my Sports Seats to the Comfort seats. Of course I have only sat on the Comfort seats in the dealership, but I really couldn't get a comfortable position. I do find that on a long trip placing my small form fitting foam pillow against my lower back prevents lower back fatigue much better than any lumbar support setting.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I have the sport seats and I'm rather slight (~160 lbs @ 5ft. 7") and I find them to provide adequate containment under considerable lateral forces. I have gone to the trouble of getting them set up rather well, and have done 4 hour stints in them with no break. Not a hint of pain or fatigue. It is not unreasonable to expect a driver to actively maintain good posture, even in a rested and seated position. Without that, any seat can be painful.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:06 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I have premium package seats and I agree they are uncomfortable for long trip. Thet are actually the worst seats I have ever had.

I cannot believe seats are that bad in a $50k car. Very disappointing ...
Old 08-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Silver Gray Metalic, Black Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Automatic, Xenon Headlights, Glass Moonroof, Dark Wood Trim, Lumbar Support, Adaptive Light Control, Navigation System, Satellite Radio Prep.

Took me a year and loss of 25 lbs to finally get used to my 2005 530i sports seats. Still after a 4 hr drive I need to stop and stretch. Wish I knew about the comfort seats before.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hmc' post='324768' date='Aug 20 2006, 09:06 PM
I have premium package seats and I agree they are uncomfortable for long trip. Thet are actually the worst seats I have ever had.

I cannot believe seats are that bad in a $50k car. Very disappointing ...
Ditto. I wonder is there any way to retrofit comfort seats. Maybe we could all go in on a group buy.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable seats?