E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ultimate driving machine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

So there we are, on the way to drop the kids off at the parents for the weekend, when the car feels funny. I'd drive normally in no rush, and the car would sometimes have a 'lull' in power. Thought it to be the gearbox so tried the gearbox reset trick. This time however the gear changes felt more abrupt... Not good.

Given I had little time, I decided to leave it to worry another day. Unfortunately another hour later after heavy driving, it would do it again but this time at speed. Kick down and the car would fly. Bit more playing to see what was wrong and deduced the small turbo be be at fault (I have a 535d). Not good I think but have a weekend away so will worry Monday. Roll on another hour on slow crawling traffic and suddenly a chance to stretch her legs, floor it and... Nothing. Nadda. Zip. Ziltch, just a sloooooow increase in speed.

I had a few choice words to mind but with kids in the car that's where hose words stayed.

Turned the car off for 1/2 hour, no change. Again later in the evening, still no change. Next day? nope!

Had a quick look over the forums and quickly realised a pipe problem, whether loose or cracked I cannot see. A dealer visit is needed none the less!

I try to book it and the best I can get is about two weeks away!

Bugger!

Anyway, the car is driveable... Albiet slowly... So will have to wait!

The end. There is no cry for help, no questions or answered expected, just a rant. Was looking forward to an enjoyable drive before a relaxing weekend and am now sat in a hotel room on my iPhone (wife asleep) having a rant and no looking forward to the slow drive home.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear about that,well at least it may be just a pipe and not one of the turbo's or else that would have hit you bad!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

She's back!

I finally had the can in for the garage to take a look and they found that the Turbo Pressure Regulator (?) needs to be replaced. All under warranty so no concerns here (would have cost £900!!!).

I then had the pleasure of a clear drive home and am back to the Ultimate driving machine again!

I am happy again now ;-)
Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe
She's back!

I finally had the can in for the garage to take a look and they found that the Turbo Pressure Regulator (?) needs to be replaced. All under warranty so no concerns here (would have cost £900!!!).

I then had the pleasure of a clear drive home and am back to the Ultimate driving machine again!

I am happy again now ;-)

Cool man. Glad to hear that your car is back to it's normal self. Happy Motoring.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

I've been fairly busy over the last few weeks so not really had time to post here for a while and tell my tale of woe's!

After getting the turbo fixed i was happy with the car. the right foot became heavy and i enjoyed the car. after a few days and normal driving, the car just didnt feel right still. yes there was power, just a lot of lag before it kicked in, which i was sure wasn't there before. was it me? had i become complacent with the performance?

she also started having lumpy gear changes, and had a few panic moments when pulling out to overtake and little power followed by a gear change or two before hurtling towards the space i was aiming for.

I realised there was something wrong when another 5er came hurtling down the A1 behind me like it was stolen. when i pulled over so he could pass he tore off to the car infront making him move over. this 5er was a 530d so i thought i'd floor it to see how they compared. my car just kept pace with this car which meant its either remapped or my car 'aint right'! another couple of 'not much between us' with other cars i decide this needs to be checked.

Not good.

Not only that but I had the wheels balanced a few weeks back as there was a rumble in the car. This returned a week later so assumed a weight had fallen off so took it back. 1 week later, the same thing happens again - not likely to be a weight twice in a row so back she goes again. they look at the wheels and spot 'uneaven tyre wear' but cannot be sure if its the wheel or suspension so we swap the fronts over again.
the rumble comes back so book the car in to the BMW 'stealers' to have a look.
to their credit they spotted the problem fairly quickly - the car must have hit a pot hole (not by me i might add!) at some point as the alloy had a flat bit in it! it was clearly visible just to look at! I then talk to the service guy and then find the cost of a new Alloy is over £500 with fitting and this inspection! great.

well some good news however, the spotted the engine performance problem - there was still a turbo pipe problem so is booked in again for this to be replaced along with the wheel (do BMW carry *any* stock?)

Hopefully, when i get it back it will be the car that excites like it used to.

again, another post with nothing more than a general moan whilst supping a beer. i know they are not well written, just venting via the keyboard.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Damn
Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

My 535d came with a cracked rim which needed replacing - ouch!

I currently have no small turbo - i suspect the vacuum hoses, so it is scarily slow at low revs...

So you are not alone my friend.

Hopefully all will be back to racy normal when your dealer has the stock.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Naaaarrrrggghhh!

I have now had the chance to drive her properly again and still not right! The gear changes are still lumpy and the power takes time to come in.

she's gonna have to go back again!

Dammit.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Tell the dealer/garage to check the diesel particulate filter for possible error codes.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Tell the dealer/garage to check the diesel particulate filter for possible error codes.
Good call!

I was just reading another long thread and noticed this idea. I will be calling tomorrow to book it in and will ensure that all pipes are checked and the DPF.