E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK Winter Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It ain't over till the last frost I guess, but those who took the sub 7C insurance policy out by going through the whole winter tyre deal seem to have over-egged the pudding this (UK) winter and have had to put up with a different ride for little return.

It's a decision in the same mold as whether you want to put up with the arguable RFT drawbacks to reap the apparent advantages that RFTs may bring.

Thankfully, the reaping of the "benefits" in both cases (winter tyres/RFTs) may never happen.

ABC
Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

...plus you never know what next winter is going to be like...

FWIW - having travelled to another 6 European countries this winter, it's been a mild winter pretty much everywhere.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='386283' date='Feb 1 2007, 04:57 PM
...plus you never know what next winter is going to be like...
It's risk management.

We go through theses additional costs and "compromises" in ride quality to manage the total assessed "risk".
Something similar to choosing to hold on to RFTs.

It's down to balancing safety, convenience and cost.

ABC
Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='386294' date='Feb 1 2007, 06:18 PM
It's risk management.

We go through theses additional costs and "compromises" in ride quality to manage the total assessed "risk".
Something similar to choosing to hold on to RFTs.

It's down to balancing safety, convenience and cost.

ABC
Even though I swapped to my winter set-up in November, I know a lot of people in Germany wait until the first snow arrives (- which is absolute chaos every time!) and then its a mad rush at the tyre centres to get the winter tyres on. It would be interesting to know whether there has been a big slump in winter tyre sales this year or if its business as usual? It would maybe also indicate how many "risk takers" are out there when it comes to winter tyres?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='386190' date='Feb 1 2007, 08:22 AM
It ain't over till the last frost I guess, but those who took the sub 7C insurance policy out by going through the whole winter tyre deal seem to have over-egged the pudding this (UK) winter and have had to put up with a different ride for little return.

It's a decision in the same mold as whether you want to put up with the arguable RFT drawbacks to reap the apparent advantages that RFTs may bring.

Thankfully, the reaping of the "benefits" in both cases (winter tyres/RFTs) may never happen.

ABC
Have to say, I have noticed little if any difference in ride and handling between my winter set up (Conti Winter contact) and my summer GS-D3's.

But I do have a trip to the Alps to look forward to still.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='386304' date='Feb 1 2007, 06:08 PM
Have to say, I have noticed little if any difference in ride and handling between my winter set up (Conti Winter contact) and my summer GS-D3's.
So there is such a thing as a "free lunch"?

Or is it that the rapid wear and tear and degraded fuel economy are the prices you pay?

ABC
Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='386319' date='Feb 1 2007, 06:53 PM
So there is such a thing as a "free lunch"?

ABC
No, there always has to be a trade off doesn't there?

I think the wear rate is the penalty, fuel economy is, if anything, better than with the GS D3's.

But I think these tyres would get down to 4mm after about 10,000 miles, and 4mm is the minimum if they are going to be any use in snow.

I think the GS D3's are pretty soft tyres, hence the close comparison with the winter tyres, Michelin PS2's might have lower rolling resistance and provide a better comparison of fuel economy and ride/handling.

I'll let you know next year as I will be putting PS2's on after my Ski trip.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='386294' date='Feb 1 2007, 07:18 PM
It's risk management.
ABC
5 persons died today in Finland with bad risk management on very slippry roads!

Risk managemement = no money to buy proper winter tyres and wheels?

I wouldn't recommend nor risk it.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='386348' date='Feb 1 2007, 08:43 PM
5 persons died today in Finland with bad risk management on very slippry roads!

Risk managemement = no money to buy proper winter tyres and wheels?
I wouldn't recommend nor risk it.
The risk factors are different in different territories.

Obviously Nordic Winters have an entirely different imperative to those in the UK.

ABC
Old 02-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

You either have to be insane or have money to burn to buy Winter tyres for the UK.

It rarely if ever snows here and when it does its a light sprinkling. The roads get gritted and everything is a-ok. The only place I could see use would be in Scotland.

PS2 are good in both summer and winter so why buy different tyres for approximately 2 weeks of 'cold'.

Quick Reply: UK Winter Tyres