E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK spec E60 530i with LPG conversion - shock...horror!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530dA, Nav. Pro., Leather redorange, black sappire met., HUD, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Sunroof, AC, Bi-Xenon/Adaptive, 245 275 19" with Falken 452's, Alpina Rims, el. Seats, autom. Mirrors, BMW Cellphone, CD Changer, M Style, Interior wood border oliv (M5), LED tail lights...

Hi Kash,

thanks for the info, the guys over there just live in another "price world"...

I'm also thinking about a conversion for my wifeys 320 Ci Convertible - we have equal prices to yours in the UK...

Can you tell me the price for it in "middle earth" (just a better description as "old europe" )

thanks T.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wow! Very kewl!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

I agree with you that if you are doing a lot of miles it might worth it. I think you pay a lot for the conversion. I was reading on an other BMW forum that for a top of the line system expect to pay around ?1500. But as always UK is an exception

FYI your car might run on LPG by default in few years , have a look at PickensPlan. Our friends from the other side of the Atlantic can provide us with more info.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

I ran an Ford Explorer on LPG for 150,000 miles and it ran bril but needed constant attention every 3,000 miles. However LPG was only 0.29p per litre so it was worth while. I then purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7HO and covered this to LPG what a nightmare, both heads away after only 30,000 and no spares available from Jeep for almost 6 months. Jeep would not honour the warranty and the LPG installer's warranty only covered repairs up to ?1K.

Hence the reason why I now run a 530D! I used to be a real fan of LPG but with the problems I had (and the time it takes to fill up) ive become very disillusioned with the gas but I wish you all the best as I really do miss the noise of a nice petrol engine.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='642897' date='Aug 9 2008, 07:36 AM
I agree with you that if you are doing a lot of miles it might worth it. I think you pay a lot for the conversion. I was reading on an other BMW forum that for a top of the line system expect to pay around ?1500. But as always UK is an exception

FYI your car might run on LPG by default in few years , have a look at PickensPlan. Our friends from the other side of the Atlantic can provide us with more info.
Mr Pickens wants CNG by the looks of it. CNG and LPG are different things. Pedantic Chemical Engineer - sorry . CNG is stored at 200 bar - you need huge heavy tanks, the energy density is quite low. It's realistically only suitable for HGVs, buses, etc. LPG is stored at about 7 bar, energy density is only 25% down on petrol. Mr Pickens looks quite mad to be honest. 20% of US electricity by spending $1.2trillion on wind farms? Bonkers. And that's 20% of electricity requirement mind you, not 20% of energy requirement.

Anyway... My wife runs a Lexus RX300 on LPG, and previously I had a Galant that was converted too. Never had a problem with either, and a farm shop 100 yards away from me sells LPG at 48p/litre. Which is nice. I pay ?1.30 for diesel . Interestingly, on a cost basis, we both actually get about the same - but she gets about 18mpg on LPG (22 or so on petrol). And her warning light is on too. But it's fine.

To the OP - you'll never get 63 litres in a 70 litre tank. Gas space is always at least 25% so 50 of 70 is about right. Wife gets 65l in her 90l. I used to get 42 in a 60 in the Galant. You'll get a few more % in cold weather, but that's about it.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='642618' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:24 PM
Don't you guys get subsidized by the government for those conversions?

LJTX545I, he said he paid 1600#. (Don't have that weird squiggly thing on my keyboard.)
do you mean a pound sign? ever attended school? ???
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by chris f' post='643956' date='Aug 11 2008, 06:48 AM
do you mean a pound sign? ever attended school? ???
I take it you're either just a kid or you're in a country that uses that currency. When I was in school, we had typewriters. If you are across the water, hopefully you went to school and can read! My location is plainly visible. I don't know a single U.S. keyboard with the pound currency symbol.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 530i 2004 Auto

I have converted my Petrol E60 530 to LPG about 6 weeks ago. It is running very well and I am getting about 75% of the MPG at [rices which vary between 49p / L at ASDA in Bristol to 61p /L at a Shell garage in Basingstoke. Shell are taking the mick by not dropping the price as they have done with petrol.
I pay about 58p /L near my house.

I went for a 75L tank in the boot, as I have runflats I use the wheel space for stoarage of items.

The car runs very well on the Prins system, no diference in performance, the insurance company wanted ?18 more as they recon that the BHP has increased.

I get about 58 liters in from empty and the LPG filler was fitted near the petrol filler.

At tickover there is a slight tappet lick sound on gas hardly noticable.

I paid ?2000 for the coversion and should break even at about 18 months.

My car is an 04 and done 56,000 miles.

I can still get a wheel chair and cases in the boot, I normally drive around 98% of the time with an empty boot anyway.

So overall I recomend the conversion.

I have yet to request a tax reduction and will also try to register on the powershift register for the London Congestion charge relief.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='642618' date='Aug 8 2008, 06:24 PM
Don't you guys get subsidized by the government for those conversions?

LJTX545I, he said he paid 1600#. (Don't have that weird squiggly thing on my keyboard.)
Try alt+156
Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Members

I have a BMW 2005 E60 525i, I purchased it in Aug 2008 and drove it for 4 months before having it converted to LPG. On petrol it was costing me ?35 to do 130 miles of all local driving, I decided to have it converted to LPG it cost me ?1800 all in to have a Prins LPG system supplied and fitted (prins being the more expencive and better system on the market, however you pay for what you get). Since having it converted it is now costing me ?15 of LPG to do the same 130 mile all local driving!! The 67 liter tank is fitted in the spare wheel well, I have had no problems with the system what so ever it drives perfectly the car feels no different regardles of if its driven on petrol or LPG. it is smoot and no loss of power what so ever. A 400 mile motorway journey costs me about ?37 in LPG and would cost me about ?80 to do the same journey on petrol. You may have read some real horror stories about LPG but the truth of the matter if you go for the best system on the market (to my knowledge this is Prins) and have it installed by someone who really understands LPG systems you will not have a problem!! Do not have a cowboy company install the system Remember you pay for what you get!! The best thing I ever did is have my car converted to lpg. My system also came with a 2 years unlimited milage parts and labour warenty. I had my system installed by a company called Green Automotive Systems based in Huddersfield West Yorkshire, UK. contact number is 01484 510520. Finaly to mention it is not really a problem finding somewhere to fill up you can usually find somewhere selling LPG every 5 miles and furthermore if you have a TOMTOM Go, you can find places that sell LPG by using the Points of interest within city option!

Quick Reply: UK spec E60 530i with LPG conversion - shock...horror!!!