E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK Facelift specs and M5 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by 911SC' post='376940' date='Jan 11 2007, 06:56 PM
Great info- many thanks.

I have a 520d M-sport on order (Carbon Black with beige cream int) with est delivery on 1st March. I had an inkling about the "facelift" but this is much better than I had feared. It would appear that the 520d engine will not be upgraded to 177bhp and that the M-Sport kit is unchanged aside from the lights. Am I reading this correctly?
Yes, more or less. The 520d doesn't get the new automatic transmission anyway and it doesn't get advanced climate control as standard like the other configs.

I don't mean rub salt but there is some bad news for you

- you won't get the new fancy revised interior (if by chance it appeals to you)
- you won't get the iDrive shortcut buttons so you will have to memorise iDrive gestures yourself

All stuff you can live with I am sure as the price of the 520d is going up by 2.8/2.6% so you got your car for a bit less.

But don't worry, if you are not upset now then maybe September will do the trick... the revised 520d will be out then with a more powerful engine, new automatic transmission, fancy cruise control which brakes going downhill etc.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='376943' date='Jan 11 2007, 07:11 PM
Yes, more or less. The 520d doesn't get the new automatic transmission anyway and it doesn't get advanced climate control as standard like the other configs.

I don't mean rub salt but there is some bad news for you

- you won't get the new fancy revised interior (if by chance it appeals to you)
- you won't get the iDrive shortcut buttons so you will have to memorise iDrive gestures yourself

All stuff you can live with I am sure as the price of the 520d is going up by 2.8/2.6% so you got your car for a bit less.

But don't worry, if you are not upset now then maybe September will do the trick... the revised 520d will be out then with a more powerful engine, new automatic transmission, fancy cruise control which brakes going downhill etc.
Don't forget:

Number plate surround trim
Grille, Headlights tweaked
Floor mats
ISOFIX (front)

However, 520d has changed the least so it's not too annoying...
Old 01-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport

Thanks for this detailed information.

The fuel consumption on the 535d seems to have improved dramatically from 35.3mpg to 41.5mpg - an improvement of nearly 18%. Interestingly the 3 series saloon 335d only manages 37.7mpg with the same engine. Does anyone know how bmw have managed this, assuming the figures are correct? Is it down to the new auto gearbox in the 535?

Thanks

Roger
Old 01-12-2007, 02:56 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by rxlee' post='377183' date='Jan 12 2007, 11:29 AM

The fuel consumption on the 535d seems to have improved dramatically from 35.3mpg to 41.5mpg - an improvement of nearly 18%. Interestingly the 3 series saloon 335d only manages 37.7mpg with the same engine. Does anyone know how bmw have managed this, assuming the figures are correct? Is it down to the new auto gearbox in the 535?

Thanks

Roger
After reading all of the docs posted so far I think it reasonably safe to assume that changes to the gearbox are the root of the economy gains along with the quite significant drop in emissions. I think this is the reason for the lack in any significant hike in performance - the equiv. e90 gets to 60 in 6.2......where as there is a marginal improvement in the 5 of 0.1 of a second and 15lbft extra torque.......I will let you know if you can feel the difference!!! It doesn't seem as if the 5 has a new engine block as quoted elsewhere previously, just a bhp / torque tweak. Am I right in saying the block of the 535d will remain pig iron versus the 335d new alloy lump??? If so, that could explain the lack of a decent performance hike in that it still has the extra weight of the old lump
Old 01-12-2007, 02:56 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

I am probably talking out of my backside ! lol!!!! (which wouldn't be the first time)
Old 01-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by rxlee' post='377183' date='Jan 12 2007, 11:29 AM

First of all... sorry to be a stickler but...

-Going through the sources of info (from BMW) there three different average consumption numbers (all UK mpg) given for the LCI 535d was 40.3, 40.5 and 41.5 (as you stated above)
- This means LCI 535d improvement it is somewhere between 14% and 17.5% depending on which number is correct.
- I see the following numbers (on the BMW UK website) ... E90 & E92 335d ... 37.7 mpg
- so if now compare the worst LCI number with the E92 number (i.e. 40.3 to 37.7) we see it is 6.9% improvement over the 3er

So let's think about how such a saving could be made with the 'same' engine in a slightly bigger and slightly heavier car
- brake energy regeneration is advertised as saving an average of 3% (that accounts for almost half of the improvement)
- the engine might look to be the same but we don't know what additional modifications they made to this M57 variant for the LCI. Although hp and torque look to be the same, they may have changed something to make it more economical
- long shot but the E60 is slightly more aerodymnamic with a drag coeffiecient of 0.28 (pre-LCI) compared to 0.30/0.29 for the E92/E90 respectively. I'm not sure what impact this could have on economy in the real world
- it's quite possible that the new transmission was further modified either mechanically or in software from the one in the 3 series (we don't know yet). The current theory is that they are the same...

Hope this helps in your analysis...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='377192' date='Jan 12 2007, 12:27 PM
First of all... sorry to be a stickler but...

-Going through the sources of info (from BMW) there three different average consumption numbers (all UK mpg) given for the LCI 535d was 40.3, 40.5 and 41.5 (as you stated above)
- This means LCI 535d improvement it is somewhere between 14% and 17.5% depending on which number is correct.
- I see the following numbers (on the BMW UK website) ... E90 & E92 335d ... 37.7 mpg
- so if now compare the worst LCI number with the E92 number (i.e. 40.3 to 37.7) we see it is 6.9% improvement over the 3er

So let's think about how such a saving could be made with the 'same' engine in a slightly bigger and slightly heavier car
- brake energy regeneration is advertised as saving an average of 3% (that accounts for almost half of the improvement)
- the engine might look to be the same but we don't know what additional modifications they made to this M57 variant for the LCI. Although hp and torque look to be the same, they may have changed something to make it more economical
- long shot but the E60 is slightly more aerodymnamic with a drag coeffiecient of 0.28 (pre-LCI) compared to 0.30/0.29 for the E92/E90 respectively. I'm not sure what impact this could have on economy in the real world
- it's quite possible that the new transmission was further modified either mechanically or in software from the one in the 3 series (we don't know yet). The current theory is that they are the same...

Hope this helps in your analysis...
The E90 will probably receive similar updates at some point in the future... (Particularly the brake energy regen)

Nice for the E60 to be 'in front' again... The E90 was being favoured!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

many thanks on the info.
It has helped my frends alot.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by skyetripper' post='376349' date='Jan 10 2007, 08:33 AM
I have been forwarded this by a friend who has a new 535d touring on order (for delivery post facelift). Nothing new, but out of interest, it confirms a UK release date for an M5 Touring. I feel sorry for the labradors of Britain!!!
Thanks. By far this pdf has the most and detail information about the 08 facelift.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TC.' post='377186' date='Jan 12 2007, 11:56 AM
Am I right in saying the block of the 535d will remain pig iron versus the 335d new alloy lump??? If so, that could explain the lack of a decent performance hike in that it still has the extra weight of the old lump
Nope, it's the same lump as the 335d...

Quick Reply: UK Facelift specs and M5 Touring