E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK E60 530D QUESTION: diesel vs advanced diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a UK-only question here (not sure what diesel fuels are available over on the Continent or in the USA) ...

Have any users found that using any of the advanced diesel fuels (eg: BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell Diesel Extra or Esso Energy Diesel) has made a significant difference to their car's performance?

All the makers claim their advanced diesels produce cleaner, quieter, faster-accelerating diesel engines ... any real life evidence of this that justifies paying the 4-5% premium?

Any advice much appreciated
Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AndyUK' date='Jun 7 2005, 10:03 AM
Maybe a UK-only question here (not sure what diesel fuels are available over on the Continent or in the USA) ...

Have any users found that using any of the advanced diesel fuels (eg: BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell Diesel Extra or Esso Energy Diesel) has made a significant difference to their car's performance?

All the makers claim their advanced diesels produce cleaner, quieter, faster-accelerating diesel engines ... any real life evidence of this that justifies paying the 4-5% premium?

[snapback]137003[/snapback]
Having tried both, there is no difference, unlike when using optimax for petrol engines

DD
Old 06-07-2005, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by AndyUK' date='Jun 7 2005, 10:03 AM

[snapback]137003[/snapback]
The most important italian car magazine has tested all the major standard and high performance diesel branded in Italy. The result of the test is that in most cases the "advanced" diesel fuels are not worth the extra money.

In fact, by far the best diesel fuel tested, giving better mileage, 3% increase in power output and very low smoke emission is an absolutely standard fuel branded by Tamoil. The reason is that it's coming only from very high quality Lybian crude oil.

So, unless some very authoritive magazine can support the consumers with reliable datas showing any advantage, it makes no real sense to spend more money on your diesel fuel to get nothing in exchange.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:24 AM
Members

My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

I've tried BP Ultimate diesel for the last 2 fill ups to see if any difference, and indeed there is - my fuel consumption has gone down by half a mile per gallon!!

Was getting an average of 31.7, now its down to 31.3. As far as I'm aware I haven't changed my driving style.

Needless to say I'll be filling up with regular diesel next time.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Members

Just exactly why I joined this Message Board. Thanks guys, I'm sold on the regular stuff.

.. unless anyone has a different view? 0 for 3 so far against the advanced fuels ...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

I tried BP ultimate aswell and absolute no difference. I dont think the newer cars benefit from these fuels.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Here in SA we get both .5% and .05% sulphur diesel.
The lower the suplhue the less the oil gets contaminated between survices and the longer the engine is supposed to last.
I always try and fill up with the .05% product.

Check the sulphue rating of the two you mentioned. If they are the same go for the cheaper if not then go for the lower sulphur one. Yo may find that one has a higher cetane rating much like octane in petrol which you pay a premium for.

Streak
Old 06-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Jun 7 2005, 06:37 PM
I tried BP ultimate aswell and absolute no difference. I dont think the newer cars benefit from these fuels.
[snapback]137167[/snapback]
Same in France: no difference unless maybe less vibrations at idle
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Members

I've tried it (BP) twice; the first time was around 1500 miles, and again more recently at 3,000+ miles. I tried it again as I thought my engine sounded more 'diesel-like'. It made no difference to either economy, performance or engne noise (as far as I can tell).
Anyone else noticed an increase in engine noise after the first few thousand miles (or km's)?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

At least the Shell stuff is the same price. Not noticed any difference though.

Quick Reply: UK E60 530D QUESTION: diesel vs advanced diesel?