E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK 530d Vs 535d equipment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport manual Mystic Blue, black Dakota leather, advanced air con, fold/split rear seats, Logic 7, business nav, 6cd, heated F seats

BMW Uk literature shows 535d differs from 530d by addition of
F sliding armrest
Automatic air-con
On-Board Computer, which includes: fuel consumption, journey computer, outside temp & speed limit function.

Are these all actually part of "Automatic air con advanced" which is available as option 534 for lesser 5s such as the 530? - looks like might be the case because option 534 "includes F sliding armrest and high OBC; speed limit and timer function"

Don't all E60s have fuel consumption and otuside temp display?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Originally Posted by petem77' post='253743' date='Mar 12 2006, 12:12 PM
BMW Uk literature shows 535d differs from 530d by addition of
F sliding armrest
Automatic air-con
On-Board Computer, which includes: fuel consumption, journey computer, outside temp & speed limit function.

Are these all actually part of "Automatic air con advanced" which is available as option 534 for lesser 5s such as the 530? - looks like might be the case because option 534 "includes F sliding armrest and high OBC; speed limit and timer function"

Don't all E60s have fuel consumption and otuside temp display?
No idea on what differs between 530D & 535D, howeve my 535D does not have a sliding front arm-rest, or if it does i've never worked out how it slides, but it does have a Nokia 6230i cradle inside. I'd guess all E60's have external temp display. Also thought Automatic Air-Con was standard across the E60 range, however Advanced Air-Con is an option on all E60's (except the Daddy M5).
Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport manual Mystic Blue, black Dakota leather, advanced air con, fold/split rear seats, Logic 7, business nav, 6cd, heated F seats

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='253755
Also thought Automatic Air-Con was standard across the E60 range, however Advanced Air-Con is an option on all E60's (except the Daddy M5).
Auto air con is standard. But auto air-con Advanced isn;'t - it's a ?605 option except standard on 2006 535d & 1 or 2 petrol models.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d SE Touring Silver Grey / Beige Dakota Media Pack (Pro Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Cd Changer, BMW Assist) Visibility Pack (Bi Xenons, Hedlight wash, Adaptive headlights)

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='253755' date='Mar 12 2006, 12:38 PM
... howeve my 535D does not have a sliding front arm-rest, or if it does i've never worked out how it slides, but it does have a Nokia 6230i cradle inside...

Hi w8pmc - on my 535d the armrest slides; mine is split in two, one part where the 'phone cradle goes (which I don't have - just use the bluetooth connectivity) which opens but does not slide, and the other part that slides but does not open. It's quite stiff, but it does slide forward and backward.

Going back to the original question, automatic aircon advanced includes the 'highline' OBC, which gives you the speed limiter functionality and 2 memorys for the OBC - journey plus one other. The advanced aircon is also what gives you the dual temp controls (allowing different temps to be selected for left and right), the 'rest' function (ventilation/residual heat when car is parked), the 'max' function (a bizarre omission in the standard version of the climate control. AFAIK, in the UK this is only standard on the 535d and the M5 for some reason. Ther versions make do with the sinpler version. The sliding armrest is not part of teh advanced aircon, I guess it's included as the 535d is only available as an auto, and perhaps its seen as more useful in?? I think that's about it...

Peter
Old 03-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by petem77' post='253778' date='Mar 12 2006, 01:05 PM
I'm talking 06 range - so maybe different from yours, which you list as 05.
Auto air con is standard. But auto air-con Advanced isn;'t - it's a ?605 option except standard on 2006 535d & 1 or 2 petrol models.
Understood. You threw me with the Auto/Advanced, as i thought none of the E60's had advanced as standard (except M5), but perhaps the 2006 model line up has changed this around. I'm slightly surprised that they'd make advanced air-con standard on the 535D but not the 530D, but i'm sure BMW know what they're doing
Old 03-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PeterS' post='253785' date='Mar 12 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi w8pmc - on my 535d the armrest slides; mine is split in two, one part where the 'phone cradle goes (which I don't have - just use the bluetooth connectivity) which opens but does not slide, and the other part that slides but does not open. It's quite stiff, but it does slide forward and backward.
Going back to the original question, automatic aircon advanced includes the 'highline' OBC, which gives you the speed limiter functionality and 2 memorys for the OBC - journey plus one other. The advanced aircon is also what gives you the dual temp controls (allowing different temps to be selected for left and right), the 'rest' function (ventilation/residual heat when car is parked), the 'max' function (a bizarre omission in the standard version of the climate control. AFAIK, in the UK this is only standard on the 535d and the M5 for some reason. Ther versions make do with the sinpler version. The sliding armrest is not part of teh advanced aircon, I guess it's included as the 535d is only available as an auto, and perhaps its seen as more useful in?? I think that's about it...

Peter
Cheers Peter, i'll be trying this out tomorrow. Is their a button or lever anywhere i need to use to slide the smaller section of the armrest?? I'm right in thinking that's the section that slides?? From the drivers side, the smaller armrest section is the closest to me (driver), as the larger section which houses the Nokia adapter is the furthest away section of armrest from the driver.

As regards your BlueTooth point, don't you find that your phones power is sapped very quickly using BlueTooth without the charger cradle. In the 535D M-Sport loaner i had last week, i was using the BlueTooth OK, but even though i only made about 3 or 4 shortish calls during my time in the car, my phones battery had fully discharged within only a few hours.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d SE Touring Silver Grey / Beige Dakota Media Pack (Pro Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Cd Changer, BMW Assist) Visibility Pack (Bi Xenons, Hedlight wash, Adaptive headlights)

Yes, it's the smaller section that moves. Nothing to press to release it, though you do have to overcome a little resistance first.

wrt to battery life; yes, my old motorola v500 would be virtually flat after a 4 or 5 hour journey. However I'm using a Nokia 6680 now which is far far better in that respect. Unfortunately, while the Motorola connected seamlessly with the BMW bluetooth (full phonebook access etc) the Nokia connects, but I can't access the phone book through i-drive

Peter
Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

As You assumed (and PeterS explained already), the sliding armrest and the extended functions of the on-board-computer are connected to the advanced air-con option, which - on European models - is only standard on 535d, 540i and 550i. Same is true for the two 12V outlets underneath the backseat air outlets. I think in manufacturing it goes down to the complete console in the middle being different in advanced air-con models.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by oyster' post='253796' date='Mar 12 2006, 01:29 PM
As You assumed (and PeterS explained already), the sliding armrest and the extended functions of the on-board-computer are connected to the advanced air-con option, which - on European models - is only standard on 535d, 540i and 550i. Same is true for the two 12V outlets underneath the backseat air outlets. I think in manufacturing it goes down to the complete console in the middle being different in advanced air-con models.
I've not seen any 12V outlets in the back of my car. Is this an 06MY addition?? I'll look again tomorrow when i try the sliding armrest, but i'm sure i'd have spotted the 12V outlets already.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PeterS' post='253794' date='Mar 12 2006, 01:28 PM
Yes, it's the smaller section that moves. Nothing to press to release it, though you do have to overcome a little resistance first.

wrt to battery life; yes, my old motorola v500 would be virtually flat after a 4 or 5 hour journey. However I'm using a Nokia 6680 now which is far far better in that respect. Unfortunately, while the Motorola connected seamlessly with the BMW bluetooth (full phonebook access etc) the Nokia connects, but I can't access the phone book through i-drive

Peter
Peter,

Not sure if this helps, but when i 1st got my car, i used a 6230 (not i) as the phone in the car & this would not sync with i-drive, however it did operate fine for phone calls. I asked the dealer & they pointed me to the specific BMW website which i think is http://www.bmw.co.uk/bluetooth & that shows what phones connect & what features you get. What i needed to get my standard 6230 to sync was a Nokia firmware upgrade which cost about ?15 from a local mobile phone shop & after that the phone book sync'd fine. You may need to upgrade the firmware for your handset, as to work fully with i-drive you do require a fairly late firmware version. I then changed the handset to a more feature rich 6230i & that being brand new had the latest firmware already & everything works.

Quick Reply: UK 530d Vs 535d equipment question