E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UK 530d.. 9 months in

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
New user to your forum.. 2 parts to the post - first is background, second is a statement and a couple of questions.... could be long...

Background -

I love BMW's..I have owned 7 bm's since 1991 of which the best untill 2004 was a 99 Z3MCoupe 3.2 in Estoril Blue, (this only remained the best because the Human brain has the capacity to blur recollections of traumatic events over time..and the car i bought after it and had to keep 3 years was absolutely terrible....i still get all vague about the sheer amount of cash i handed to the BM dealer in 59k glorious miles of ownership for it's 6k mile service interval which worked out more like 5k miles each go as it had 11 services in it's life, the bank account crippling 16mpg avg on 98ron unleaded at uk 3.0gbp per gallon, and the staggering amount of tyres it consumed.. ) - i really wish i hadn't sold that one for a whole pile of other driving pleasure + porsche baiting joy type reasons.. the main 2 reasons for sale being arrival of kids, (2 adults + twins don't fit into an Mcoupe apparently...),and the fact the evil Jaguar dealership must have drugged me because i bought, and still to this day have no idea what possessed me to do it, a shiny 4.0 Jag XJ8.. Then one day the new 5 series came out and equilibrium was restored.

So in early 2004 i ordered . waited patiently and received in May 2004 my latest, and definately the best built + most reliable BM to date a 530d se (euro 4 spec), with a 6 speed manual, in silver grey, black leather sports trim, sports suspension, 18" alloys with dunlop runflats, (hmmm bad call that one..), logic7 + 6cd, bluetooth, xenons and other odds and ends that looked like, but really are not, good value such as electric foldinf mirrors ( i haev never used), dimming interior mirror and split folding rear seats.
If you are an American at this point you will be wondering why i bought a manual gearbox and a diesel...? 3 answers - Torque..it flies.. Torque.. did i mention it flies and so much more less company car tax which is all based around co2 emmisions in the UK of whcih the manual 530d euro 4 spec emits 184g.. which is less than some quite rubbish mediocre small french saloon cars...)

As i mentioned earlier before the 5 i owned, (or rather suffered), a 2001 Jag XJ8 from new and, on the rare occasions it wasn't living on the dealerships 4 post ramp being teased back into some form of life, suffered it's almost Korean build quality, cr4p Ford sourced switchgear and Italian quality electrics for 70,000 miles followed by it overnight becaming paractically unsellable . Oh and when i finally found a person mad enough to buy it i managed to claw back a whopping 28% of what i paid for it.. ouch... still i am sure that the guy who bought it seemed to think he was getting a bargain.. i say guess again...

So now i have all that off my chest .. some questions and points about the 5 series

Electric seats - anyone had mysterious intermittent passenger seat electric lockouts that don't come up on BM diagnostics and then as if to make you look like a fool never occur when the car is at the dealership ? - Dealer tried a software upgrade.. no luck..

Bluetooth phone kit - anyone got the charge adaptor in the centre console for the Sony t68i which appears to have an " i will charge your phone if and when i feel like it.. even if it is " mentality.. not been to the dealer since this started.. but have plugged a new t68i in and removed cleaned and re-installed the cradle with the same results...

Cold rattle - OK before you say "it' a diesel.. they all rattle" this is different.. it sounds like poor top end oil feed rattle which increases with engine speed and goes when full operating temperature is reached..??? i read some posts about the petrol valvetronic engine but do not think they would apply to my oil burner .

Turbo feathering - ok best description i can give is instead of the turbo dropping off gradually it sort of stutters it's way off on the way down the rev range.. almost like 3 stage turbo shutdown...anyone seen this???

Runflats - should be renamed to run roughs or run away with your money at 20k miles.. i could have probably bought my old Jag back for the price of the tyres... can i fit non runflats net time or are the BM rims for runflats only ?

That is all i have had wrong with the car in 29k miles... not bad though i think and i have no other problems or complaints.. running costs are about a quarter of the Mcoupe and half of the Jag's so all is good there .... the only nagging doubt i have is depreciation.. any views ?

Cheers
Old 02-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Senior Members

I have had mine for a year now. Besides some niggles the major problem I have with the car is the turbo lag/hesitation/throttlr response call it what you like. It is the single thing that detracts from what is otherwise a superb car.

I have just had a new DDE controler, transmission and gearbox software installed but the problem is still there if not a bit worse. Cruise to an almost stop in D and then try an accelerate, car does nothing for a second or so before moving off in a hurry, it's very annoying.

If it's not a mechanical turbo issue, then hopefully there will be a fix in the future.

Streak
Old 02-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Manc - great post. And welcome to the list.

Good choice of car. Very similar reasons to why I also have a 530d 6 speed.

Not had any of the problems mentioned, except that I'm not enjoying the runflat tyres.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

First of all welcome!
About your problems....none here but they have been discussed before, try a search.
Runflats: i can only recommend to dump them. I changed my front tires (18" on 124) for Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 and it seems like it's schizofrenic now, the front behaves completely different from the back.
The only reason the rear ones are still there is that they've only done about 5000k and it hurts alot (finacially) to get the divorce.
So, my opinion is to just use them till they are gone or you get a puncture and swap for regulars, it is possible on you bmw oem's. You didn't mention which model you've got (123 or 124 or...) but don't listen to your dealer who probably wants to sell you expensive runflats. It has been done before, a lot, and my guess is that many more people will swap the runflats in the future.
runroughs

Good luck
Old 02-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

I haven't had any of your issues with my euro 3 spec 530d but I have had a blown engine and turbo along with creaking door trims and instrument binnacle. Overall I've been pleased with the car but remain unimpressed by the interior quality.

I went to a viewing of the new E90 yesterday and was amazed at how much better quality it's interior looks over the E60. I'm now looking forward to downsizing. The lemon dakota interior and the terra dakota interiors are stunning. They were also demo'ing the E60 M5 but I didn't get to see ity. I spoke to a guy who had had a brief drive of it and he said it was simply amazing.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Welcome manc5!

21000 km and no big problems. It has been really cold here in Finland and I have noticed something like what You describe. But when flooring the pedal with 4th or 5th. I can feel slight steps in acceleration. Also passanger seat safetybelt pressure switch (what detec if some one is sitting) did not reset ones.

Still happy.

Skaffa
Old 02-25-2005, 03:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Feb 25 2005, 07:55 AM
Manc - great post. And welcome to the list.

Good choice of car. Very similar reasons to why I also have a 530d 6 speed.

Not had any of the problems mentioned, except that I'm not enjoying the runflat tyres.
I've got Dunlops and I'm hearing all good things about the Bridgestone Run-flats... I was going to change to non-RFs but I'm reconsidering now...

Although 4 new tyres is gonna cost over ?1k!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, manc5 !
Old 02-25-2005, 04:44 AM
Guest_manc5_*

Hi
Thanks for resposes, sounds like runflats are bad, (mine are Dunlop but will opt for Bridgestones next time the wallett has to open), and the seat problem + bluetooth + clatter will be "challenges" for my dealer at next service.
I have always used the same dealer for all my BM's so generally get really good service and will be expecting some results.. i will post once it has been in whcih is going to be around end May.. unless the problems get worse in which case i will put it in.

Not seen any UK news on 550 but have heard rumours of higher output diesel unit above 535 for 2006my.. anyone else come accross this one..?

I have to say i am generally very very impressed, compared to the Jag and a friend of mines e class merk it is a good car.. still not sure atbout the boot shutline though ... on the strength of my enjoyment so far i will be ordering a 535d sport, (or later engined equivelent), for May 2006 delivery unless BM pull a 635d coupe out of the hat.. ahh 4 seats, 2 doors, good economy, low emmissions for company car tax and low depreciation ... the promised land !

I am going to my dealers launch event for the new 3 series in 2 weeks as my wife is looking to change her .. dare i say it on this board.. 2002 HONDA CRV .(actually in a strange sort of way i quite like it and it has been bullett proof in terms of quality + running costs + depreciation).. In her defence she used to have a fully loaded 1999 323ci in metallic black .. b4 the children arrived.. when we worked out the Mcoupe + 323ci were not exactly of any use whatsoever so hence the jag then the Honda arrived ! But now they are a bit older and we need to haul less stuff she will be able to go back to a 3 series sized car.

Back to the point Hoping to get info on diesel models as we are both converts any bad news i should know about before the wallett creaks open ??? any rumoured engine changes .. i.e. we bought the 323ci, (2.5 engine), in Nov 1999 and stone me within 6 months they changed it to a 325ci with an extra 20(ish) bhp which would have been nice. So don't want to buy a 330d art release if it is due for an update more or less straight away.. Same story if i'd have bought the first 530d as it had a higher emmissions euro3 engine but my 05-2004 car has the euro4..no performace difference though.

Regards
David (Manc5)
Old 02-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest_manc5_*' date='Feb 25 2005, 01:44 PM
Not seen any UK news on 550 but have heard rumours of higher output diesel unit above 535 for 2006my..? anyone else come accross this one..?
They're coming... Now the competition (Audi & Merc) have engines that beat the 218hp, BMW have to raise the stakes...

The updated 30d is coming (in the 7 series first) but will make it to the 5 series. The changes look like they can be applied to the 35d so power will be boosted slightly - although the weight reduction (-20kg I believe) is also valuable in the handling stakes...

Quick Reply: UK 530d.. 9 months in