E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

UhOh What does this symbol mean????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Craggy' post='551657' date='Mar 27 2008, 09:30 AM
Would connecting a carputer to the power lines that were originally powering the CD changer in the glove box and leaving it in standby overningt cause the car not to go into sleep mode?
I recently installed this but the error symbol didnt show up for a while after. Does the car monitor the power being drawn on variou 12v lines to see if something is stil active or how does it know a device is using power continuosly?

If this is the problem where can I get a 12v line in the front of my car that is not monitored or wont show this warning symbol?

Cheers for replies.
Clearly, adding something like a carputer may be the cause of these types of issues. The car monitors all sorts of electrical "consumers" so there's no telling what it's "seeing" when the computer is drawing power.

Stay tuned for a technical document on the complete E6x power supply...

(For a quick overview, you can take a look at this post -- I will be posting a newer, more comprehensive version of the .pdf in that post in our technical gallery and will link to it here as well as there...)

Edit: Here's a link to the updated power supply document in the gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...i&img=10935

Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy, your a wealth of knowledge as always.
So as of yet there is no way of me leaving a carputer in standby over night without the car complaining of continuous power draw. How about a second battery? Is that or any other solution possible?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Craggy' post='551807' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:02 PM
Rudy, your a wealth of knowledge as always.
So as of yet there is no way of me leaving a carputer in standby over night without the car complaining of continuous power draw. How about a second battery? Is that or any other solution possible?
I hope some of the "mod experts" here can chime in. I'm not one to do this kind of stuff but if there's a way to do it, someone here will know how.

You might want to post a new topic in the mod forum since this one has sort of taken a turn from the original topic. The modders may notice it faster if you post it there...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='551905' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:40 PM
I hope some of the "mod experts" here can chime in. I'm not one to do this kind of stuff but if there's a way to do it, someone here will know how.

You might want to post a new topic in the mod forum since this one has sort of taken a turn from the original topic. The modders may notice it faster if you post it there...

I have noticed that when hooking up my PC based OBDII scanner/recorder (which has a smart cable with timing logic powered by the OBDII connector) the car will not go into sleep mode after the key is switched off.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Rudy mentions that his car seems to "power up" when he retrieves something from the trunk. I always here some sore of noise when I open the door the first time, or the trunk, some whirring sound sort of like a compressor. I also swear I hear a hard drive type noise in the front of the car after I shut the car off and listen to the last final strains of an opera. But I digress. Back to the OP, my 964 will run the battery down in about two weeks if I don't attend to it or drive it. I ended up buying a battery tender for it, hard wired it in, and just plug the damn car in after I use it. These things work so well I installed them on the TD Ford, the boat, and if it ever freaken quits snowing/raining/blowing here, I plan on putting one on my little JD tractor.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by studavis' post='552670' date='Mar 29 2008, 02:47 AM
Rudy mentions that his car seems to "power up" when he retrieves something from the trunk. I always here some sore of noise when I open the door the first time, or the trunk, some whirring sound sort of like a compressor. I also swear I hear a hard drive type noise in the front of the car after I shut the car off and listen to the last final strains of an opera.
The car is actually "waking up" when you open a door or the trunk (or even just unlock it). Depending on the car, there are many noises audible upon wake up as different systems and modules come alive and spring into action...