E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

uh oh... transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

so as i just got on the nj turnpike on my commute home from work in nyc... *BANG!!*... feels like someone just rear ended my car ('06 e60 530i).. and again!.. i look around and theres no one behind or around me and then with my foot still on the gas pedal (auto/step) the engine seems to drop down a couple of gears and loose it's steam, two seconds after my dash board and idrive screen light up (w/ the images above).

transmission malfunction.

o great. i pull over as the engine "kick" or whatever is happening that jolts the car makes it feel like someone is bumping the rear of my car occurs a couple more times. turn the engine off, let it sit for a few and opened the hood.. things look fine, no smoke or anything, looked under the car and no leaks either. i start up the engine and proceed to merge into traffic and again. *BAM!!*

well.. i end up making it home and am posting this to see if this has happened to anyone before as well (no i havent searched yet, i just got home and am looking for my salesman/"advisors" business card to see what time the service dept opens tomorrow as i'll be dropping it off as i dont feel safe driving 55 miles each way to and from work).

so lemme know if this has happened before, or if you have any ideas as to what happened. (bringing my car in for service for this is covered under standard warranty right? im not over the 4yr/50000mi limit yet).

thanks.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I had the increased Emissions one before for a like 2-3 days and then it went away and never came back. Never seen the other ones and I SURE DO NOT EVER want to see it.

Good luck hope you get some good responses...

your car is a 2006 530 Steptronic?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='232786' date='Jan 31 2006, 09:56 PM
your car is a 2006 530 Steptronic?
yep. had it since sept 2005 as it rolled into the showroom floor
Old 01-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Nice.

well hope you get it sorted out. This one seems a little worse than all the other transmission problems I've read here before. Hope its nothing too serious...

Keep us updated.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Members

Just had the same thing (Transmission malfunction) appear on my '06 530i which I also picked up in Sept. Fortunately, I was only 5 minutes from home. I was stopped at a light and when I accelerated got the message and Check Engine light came on. No real bang or anything. Pulled off, turned off the car, started it again and began accelerating. In about a minute, it happened again and I limped it home.

Called dealer and am having it towed on Monday to have them look at it. They were able to get me an X3 loaner for the weekend, though I have to pay $5 a day for it. (On a separate note, though that's not a lot of money, it kind of grated on me from a principle POV. 5 month old car is malfunctioning and I still have to pay for a loaner???)

I'm hoping it's just a sensor or computer glitch. Car was driving great right up to it happening.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

A work pal of mine had this week a gearbox problem in this E46, 318iA.

He got his car to the dealers on auto-emergency gear 3, but the problem
was found out to be only a sensor one, actually two sensors.

But if you heard a "bang", your problem is bad -> to the dealers!
Old 02-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

isn't this the transmition slam problem that has be described thousad times here on the forum? it is basicaly a software problem and a CIP update helps... I don't know...
Old 02-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='234861' date='Feb 5 2006, 12:08 AM
isn't this the transmition slam problem that has be described thousad times here on the forum? it is basicaly a software problem and a CIP update helps... I don't know...
Yes it is I had that tree times max in 5 months, and never again...hope stay like that
Old 02-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='234861' date='Feb 4 2006, 11:08 PM

No This is not the transmission Slam problem. This is complete transmission failure
Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='234883

No This is not the transmission Slam problem. This is complete transmission failure
[/quote]

exactly, this was not a software problem! i got a call back from my service advisor mid week, saying my transmission was hosed. they replaced it (and all 4 tires too... some kind of cupping/defect) with a new one. they werent sure why or what led to this problem. anyhow, great service from bmw/dealer, also had a loaner for the 4 days it was in the shop, an x3 w/ 700 miles.

im glad that it's back

Originally Posted by jbizios' post='234824' date='Feb 4 2006, 05:17 PM
Just had the same thing (Transmission malfunction) appear on my '06 530i which I also picked up in Sept.
mine too... 06 530i picked up in Sept 05.

Quick Reply: uh oh... transmission problem?