E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

U.S. Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi - Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather Premium package, Navigaation, Cold weather package, Satellite Radio, Rear fold-down seats. My First BMW, and the greatest car I've ever driven.

I've noticed that my satellite radio will intermittently lose its signal in downtown boston (not in a parking structure, or in a tunnel). Today, I called Sirius to see if they had any ideas, and they told me that because the loss is at random times and locations, that it was more likely something with the radio/connection in the car. Further, they said that I really shouldn't EVER lose signal in boston because the satellite broadcasts and there is a "ground re-router" which repeats the signal when connection with the satellite is lost.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Are "loose connections" or something like that common in this car?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rtl2' post='425658' date='May 17 2007, 04:14 PM
I've noticed that my satellite radio will intermittently lose its signal in downtown boston (not in a parking structure, or in a tunnel). Today, I called Sirius to see if they had any ideas, and they told me that because the loss is at random times and locations, that it was more likely something with the radio/connection in the car. Further, they said that I really shouldn't EVER lose signal in boston because the satellite broadcasts and there is a "ground re-router" which repeats the signal when connection with the satellite is lost.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Are "loose connections" or something like that common in this car?

Thanks for any advice.
Many others have complained on this forum about Sirius poor sound quality and lose of signal. You are not alone.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'll be taking redelivery of my ED 550 with Sat Radio in a month or so and I have no idea whether I'm getting the service for free for some period, or whether I'm paying from day 1. Does anyone know what the current BMWNA/Sirius deal is?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather Premium package, Navigaation, Cold weather package, Satellite Radio, Rear fold-down seats. My First BMW, and the greatest car I've ever driven.

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='425668' date='May 17 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'll be taking redelivery of my ED 550 with Sat Radio in a month or so and I have no idea whether I'm getting the service for free for some period, or whether I'm paying from day 1. Does anyone know what the current BMWNA/Sirius deal is?

As of a month ago (when I got mine...but its a 2007), the deal was 1 year subscription with ALL channels. Enjoy!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rtl2' post='425673' date='May 17 2007, 08:08 PM
As of a month ago (when I got mine...but its a 2007), the deal was 1 year subscription with ALL channels. Enjoy!
I think that's correct except to add that if you want the Playboy channel, you have to "unlock it" by either calling Sirius or logging into their website and activating it. There's no additional charge for the channel, it's just locked by default...
Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='425883' date='May 18 2007, 10:59 AM
I think that's correct except to add that if you want the Playboy channel, you have to "unlock it" by either calling Sirius or logging into their website and activating it. There's no additional charge for the channel, it's just locked by default...
And by the way, the playboy channel is a total waste of time unless you like listening to loudmouth women cackling about nothing.

Now Howard Stern can be funny.

The deal is a year and my year is almost up. I have Sirius lifetime in my other car. No telling whats going to happen if the merger doesn't go through between XM and Sirius. Word is, no merger could spell the end for one of the Satelliite companies.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='425902' date='May 18 2007, 12:44 PM
I have Sirius lifetime in my other car.
How did you get Sirius "lifetime"? Is that an option that you have at the beginning of the service activation or after the first year?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='425941' date='May 18 2007, 01:02 PM
How did you get Sirius "lifetime"? Is that an option that you have at the beginning of the service activation or after the first year?
My experience is a bit dated but after the free first year, you call up to sign up for a package to renew. There are several options available (see the Sirius website) including month-to-month, 1 year, 2 year and lifetime for $499.99. The service can be transfered up to three time it says, for a $75 charge per change. I signed up for the 2 year package when I renewed.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1150907696769
Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

I'm getting more "lost signal" interruptions in the last month than ever before. What a pisser - especially in the midst of downtown metropolitan locations.

That sucks!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='425941' date='May 18 2007, 01:02 PM
When i first got my non BMW sirius radio Lifetime was available for $499. I think it still is. Just call them.

My one year isnt yet up on my BMW sirius radio. I can get monthly service on that one for $6.95 a month for a 2nd radio.

Or i could transfer my original lifetime on my starmate radio to the BMW unit for a $75 fee.

Quick Reply: U.S. Satellite Radio