E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are u a left-foot braker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

Left foot breaking on manual only (and no assistance and careful on 4 wheels drives...) work when brakes are abnormally strong on the back wheel. The trick is that by pushing brake with left foot while right one keep rev, you unbalanced the weight of the car to the front and lighten the back wheel then pushing break further while back wheels are light, will block them allowing the back of the car to start drifting. To this add a quick left right in the direction for a right turn or right left for a left turn and you will be in a nice drifting pattern.
Evidently, never attempt that with an automatic, even in Ds manual mode.. or with any ESp or DSC on..The one who might have spend years driving on snow for years probably know what I mean.
Used to have an old fiat sport in my student time where all could be tweaked (no electronics) and it was fun to play/learn with this on the alps road, knowing the car was worth nothing anyway...Did few rally races (as copilot though) and once in the bas vivarais region (France) we got snow in slick tires as it was extremely unusual time fro snow and we ended up switching seat with driver and ...win our category (Group S on VW Golf GTIi Oettinger then). Good fun...But following race we missed one of these and ended up rolling in trees..Nobody is perfect!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='709463' date='Nov 1 2008, 10:55 AM
you are totally wrong sir.

nearly everyone in the UK has a manual driving licence, and whilst i agree its very dangerious and wrong in an automatic to brake with your left foot (unless you only have a left foot)

but most aspiring "rally" drivers use there left foot to brake in manual cars, and also use "toe & heal" its so you can keep on the gas and brake at the same time, so as not to loose any revs...so its not impossible, its widly used.
when i go out in my impreza STI i always use my left foot to brake when driving "enthusiasticly"

you should never clutch and brake at the same time...you should be in the right gear before you need to brake.

if you watch sabine schmit of the nurburg ring fame, you will see that she always brakes with her left foot, and there is no quicker driver round there than her. (she drives the "ring taxi", a mapped E60 M5)

Very well said.
I am switched to use right foot on motorway etc + emergency braking.
use left foot for town ,trying to park and never had a complain.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='709463' date='Nov 1 2008, 06:55 PM
you are totally wrong sir.

nearly everyone in the UK has a manual driving licence, and whilst i agree its very dangerious and wrong in an automatic to brake with your left foot (unless you only have a left foot)

but most aspiring "rally" drivers use there left foot to brake in manual cars, and also use "toe & heal" its so you can keep on the gas and brake at the same time, so as not to loose any revs...so its not impossible, its widly used.
when i go out in my impreza STI i always use my left foot to brake when driving "enthusiasticly"

you should never clutch and brake at the same time...you should be in the right gear before you need to brake.

if you watch sabine schmit of the nurburg ring fame, you will see that she always brakes with her left foot, and there is no quicker driver round there than her. (she drives the "ring taxi", a mapped E60 M5)

but for narmal driving i agree you should not use your left foot (manual or auto)
That's what I'm talking about, 'narmal driving'.... what did you think I was talking about?
We're talking what the OP said 'on the highway' --not the 'toe&heel' technique in some rally/racetrack..... sheesh.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='709549' date='Nov 1 2008, 10:29 AM
That's what I'm talking about, 'narmal driving'.... what the hell you think I'm talking about? We're talking what the OP said 'on the highway' --not the 'toe&heel' technique in some rally/racetrack..... sheesh.
i hear what you are saying big fella,

but you said " Anyone who learned from manual knows it's impossible to brake with your left foot "

but as i said most of us limeys learned from manual, and most of us brake with our left foot (when driving hard admittidly)
so right back at ya

(i know what you mean mike)
good luck.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

what's with all this left foot breaking, how come evryone's answers are so long.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by radz182' post='709599' date='Nov 1 2008, 12:10 PM
what's with all this left foot breaking, how come evryone's answers are so long.
its called the long forgotten art of conversation......
mono syblic man is only living in france.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Members

i have 2 left feet... born that way.. so to answer your question Yes i do..lol
Old 11-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I've drove with a manual transmission for so long, that when I switched to the Steptronic transmission, I found that I CAN'T use my left foot for anything other than a clutch (now unnneeded) or keeping the beat with my music!!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributors

I like to apply both while driving. It gives the car a even drive. Very cool!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

that is pretty weird i can never use my left foot for braking, all this time i thought people with their brakes on had a bulb issue

Quick Reply: Are u a left-foot braker?