E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are u a left-foot braker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Sometimes, I just dont understand why the car in front of me have their brake lights on for about 10 minutes of driving on the highway. Then I realized that maybe their left foot is on the brake. Who brakes consistently with their left foot? I only do it to shift weight properly, brake boost for turbo, and maybe sometimes turning for more control. I dunno but it just annoys me. Wen I was driving onthe belt pwky today, those freakin brake lamps in front of me annoyed the hell outta me. didnt know that guy was actually braking!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh ya! I hate that! Either their brake lights are broke or they're resting their foot on the brake pedal and activating the brake lights like you said...

I hope those people burn their brake pads.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 Audi S4

most of the time its taxi cabs.....i think the brake lights are just broken
Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

It's actually quite scary when I see them taking off from a stop, driving for a good amount of time, while the brake light is still on. It clearly means they are driving with both feet, the brake is still depressed, while the right foot has the accelerator down. So dangerous. Not to mention, terrible for the car and the brakes.

Where some people learn how to drive is beyond me.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I think thats how they use to teach kids how to drive way back in the day....I know my grandparents use to use their left foot for the brake. Kinda scary riding along with them when I was a kid
Old 10-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i A/T (E60) 2005 MBenz C200K Elegance 2004 BMW 320D A/T Exclusive (E46 F/L) 2003 MBenz C180K 2001 BMW 318i (E46)

Ok, this is maybe a bit off topic...

Before the E60, I have driven a manual for about two years. On my first drive in the E60 (an automatic), at the very first stop street, I forgot it was an automatic, and out of habit, depressed the "clutch". Let's just say the E60 has VERY GOOD brakes!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

All those left-foot brakers come from a generation that never learned to drive manual. Anyone who learned from manual knows it's impossible to brake with your left foot (what about your clutch...? Use your right foot? hhahaha).

I've met a few friends who brake and accelerate with left and right feet respectively... and what I mean when I say 'respectively' is in regards to the previous 'brake and accelerate' and NOT in regards to their practice of such.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='709426' date='Nov 1 2008, 03:44 AM
All those left-foot brakers come from a generation that never learned to drive manual. Anyone who learned from manual knows it's impossible to brake with your left foot (what about your clutch...? Use your right foot? hhahaha).

I've met a few friends who brake and accelerate with left and right feet respectively... and what I mean when I say 'respectively' is in regards to the previous 'brake and accelerate' and NOT in regards to their practice of such.
you are totally wrong sir.

nearly everyone in the UK has a manual driving licence, and whilst i agree its very dangerious and wrong in an automatic to brake with your left foot (unless you only have a left foot)

but most aspiring "rally" drivers use there left foot to brake in manual cars, and also use "toe & heal" its so you can keep on the gas and brake at the same time, so as not to loose any revs...so its not impossible, its widly used.
when i go out in my impreza STI i always use my left foot to brake when driving "enthusiasticly"

you should never clutch and brake at the same time...you should be in the right gear before you need to brake.

if you watch sabine schmit of the nurburg ring fame, you will see that she always brakes with her left foot, and there is no quicker driver round there than her. (she drives the "ring taxi", a mapped E60 M5)

but for narmal driving i agree you should not use your left foot (manual or auto)
Old 11-01-2008, 03:36 AM
Contributors

Left foot braking can reduce reaction time but maintaining even the slightest touch of the brake pedal mile after mile will rapidly accelerate brake pad wear. Not to mention the previously noted issue of following drivers not knowing when REAL braking is going happen!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by benstone' post='709422
you are totally wrong sir.

nearly everyone in the UK has a manual driving licence, and whilst i agree its very dangerious and wrong in an automatic to brake with your left foot (unless you only have a left foot)

but most aspiring "rally" drivers use there left foot to brake in manual cars, and also use "toe & heal" its so you can keep on the gas and brake at the same time, so as not to loose any revs...so its not impossible, its widly used.
when i go out in my impreza STI i always use my left foot to brake when driving "enthusiasticly"

you should never clutch and brake at the same time...you should be in the right gear before you need to brake.

if you watch sabine schmit of the nurburg ring fame, you will see that she always brakes with her left foot, and there is no quicker driver round there than her. (she drives the "ring taxi", a mapped E60 M5)

but for narmal driving i agree you should not use your left foot (manual or auto)
that kind of driving is different. i do it too

Quick Reply: Are u a left-foot braker?