E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre Puncture Reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

on the way to work in the morning i was on the Motorway (highway) and all of a sudden i get a BING...tyre puncture detected, so i pulled over and checked for a puncture and i couldnt see one, i carried on driving to work and it drove perfect. i got to the petrol station and filled up, it was 24psi, 25psi,23psi and 34psi. anyway i filled them all up to 32 psi at 0820. i checked the tyre pressure again and they are all set to 28psi now. have they all lost air or has the computer sorted it out? anyway it doesnt look like i have a puncture but whne i start the car i still get the BING>puncture detected.

do i have to reset the computer if so how do i do it? or have i got a slow puncture in all four tyres? as the sensor is on the valve?

thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60__530D' post='892790' date='May 28 2009, 06:01 AM
Hi Guys,

on the way to work in the morning i was on the Motorway (highway) and all of a sudden i get a BING...tyre puncture detected, so i pulled over and checked for a puncture and i couldnt see one, i carried on driving to work and it drove perfect. i got to the petrol station and filled up, it was 24psi, 25psi,23psi and 34psi. anyway i filled them all up to 32 psi at 0820. i checked the tyre pressure again and they are all set to 28psi now. have they all lost air or has the computer sorted it out? anyway it doesnt look like i have a puncture but whne i start the car i still get the BING>puncture detected.

do i have to reset the computer if so how do i do it? or have i got a slow puncture in all four tyres? as the sensor is on the valve?

thanks in advance.
From the numbers you have reported, it appears that you have what is known as a reverse puncture. Something penetrated your tyre, and it keeps pumping more air into your tire. Try not to get reverse puncture in all of your tires. BTW, if these reverse punctures happen with helium, your car just might float away. Not good if you are in vehicle.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 AM
Members

c'mon guys, i'm looking for a proper answer here..
Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 535d M Sport

It could be that your tyres were warm/hot when you filled up with air in the morning, and since cooling, the pressure has settled slightly.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Reset the puncture in the Idrive whilst the engine is NOT running IIRC., its located in a sub menu in Information section I think
Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ///MrSingh' post='892803' date='May 28 2009, 12:29 PM
It could be that your tyres were warm/hot when you filled up with air in the morning, and since cooling, the pressure has settled slightly.
that explains why the psi has dropped but why is the computer still displaying the tyre is punctured when it isn't losing air.

thanks mr singh.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by E60__530D' post='892790' date='May 28 2009, 06:01 AM
Hi Guys,

thanks in advance.
Previous posts have indicated water standing in the spare tire well causes false errors. Hope this is not your issue, but, worth a look.
My car has only a Flat Tire Monitor system. I assume you have a Tire Pressure Monitor system.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='892807' date='May 28 2009, 12:47 PM
Reset the puncture in the Idrive whilst the engine is NOT running IIRC., its located in a sub menu in Information section I think
Why do you say that? Just interested to know as I wasn't aware it made any difference if the engine was running or not - although the car obviously has to be stationary.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 520D M Sport

Originally Posted by E60__530D' post='892790' date='May 28 2009, 07:01 AM
Hi Guys,

thanks in advance.
Hi 530d,
your tyre pressures settled becuase you first checked them when the tyres were hot, from the run on the motorway, when you checked again they would have been cold, air expands when its hot, thus increasing the pressure in the tyre.

to reset the computer, use the IDrive, go to settings and there is a menu for TPM, click on reset pressure, it will come back with a message saying "initialising" then it will change to drive a while.

what it is doing is reseting the sensor on the ABS system, when you drive a while, the sensor, in effect, measures the circumference of each tyre,
when you lose air, the circumference of the tyre will decrease and the computer will pick this up and alert you.

hope this helps.

Andyuk
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='892815' date='May 28 2009, 01:18 PM
Why do you say that? Just interested to know as I wasn't aware it made any difference if the engine was running or not - although the car obviously has to be stationary.
Because if I tell him to do it with the engine not running its obvious the car cannot be moving, no need to be so over analytical buddy

Quick Reply: Tyre Puncture Reset