E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tweeter Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for some advice on tweeters for my E60. It's a 2004 Saloon, Europe spec so no front or rear tweeters! I have attempted to order a pair of front door tweeters from my BMW dealer but there is a lengthy back order on them. I am considering going down the aftermarket route, can anyone tell me which aftermarket tweeters would be best.

I know they need to be 25mm diameter for the front doors, but what power do they need to be? The ones I have seen are 4 ohms and not 2 ohms which I believe I require for my standard set up (non logic 7).

I have noticed that Alpine do a 25mm one which is available on eBay but again it's 4 ohms.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Thank's for posting this mate as I need to know as well!The sound from our euro spec model's is nothing sort of pathetic,hope purchasing these tweeter's may help.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Members

The sound is very poor in mine, I'm hoping the tweeters will cure it. I tried Sandal BMW in Wakefield for the tweeters which are priced at £38 each but a lengthy back order with not much chance of them turning up.

There must be some aftermarket option, I did consider http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPINE-ADD-TWEETERS-TYPE-S-SPS-1005-120W-PEAK-/110499195945?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_Car_Speakers_PP&hash=item19ba43ec29
Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Originally Posted by crusher1
The sound is very poor in mine, I'm hoping the tweeters will cure it. I tried Sandal BMW in Wakefield for the tweeters which are priced at £38 each but a lengthy back order with not much chance of them turning up.

There must be some aftermarket option, I did consider these.
I have just done this upgrade on my car (i didnt take any photos though!)

I have the UK standard hifi, no amp, just the four speakers

It?s a 2005 E60 530 M sport.

I learnt the hard way and snapped a speaker connection and had to get another bit of wire and connector from a scrapyard? which was a pain.

I am tring to keep my car as original as possible audio wise so this was the best way. It has definately made an improvement, but i may be doing the blaupunkt blue spot THA-555 amp upgrade next

I got these tweeters:

Genuine BMW Top hifi ? part numbers: 65136919351

This part number if for E60 up to Sept 2005

You need to order 2 of these as the only come as a single unit.

Please note the part number changed for vehicles after Sep 2005 ? check the year . manufacture date of your car before ordering.

HERS HOW TO DO IT WITH INSTRUCTIONS

A bit of advice for you to help you (with two PDF files at bottom of post showing how and where clips are)

Undo / wind down both windows whilst battery is connected.

Disconnect the battery .

Take the small Philips screw out behind a plastic cover nearest the hinge end.

Pop the airbag logo on door panel off and behind there will be a Torx 20 screw.

Pop off the door panel and the clips will come away anti clockwise round the door edge starting from the hinge end until you get to the top of the panel.

I did this using a stiff plastic wedge

Pull the top part of the panel towards and it will pop out of the retaining clips at the top?. Do this carefully.

When taking the door panel off, start popping off the door panel from the hinge edge first, working your way around anti clockwise.

When you get to the top panel, this pulls off towards you.

Be careful when pulling this and it may be handy for two people to be doing this as the speaker wires are very short and the other person can hold the top part of the door panel leaning in the open window to stop the panel falling and all the wires snapping

If you can, unplug (whilst lying down and looking up the door panel) unplug the blue plug from the rear of the speaker on the door panel and also the electric window swith which also has a short wire on it.

Also for easiness, twist the door panel so the part of the door panel nearest the hinge is pointing down towards the ground. This will prevent the airbag wire snapped / connector breaking.

The airbag connector has a strange slide and clip connector on it and can be a pain to put back on and I know a few people have had problems with it. So I just left my one on.

There are only two other tings that may be a problem, the door handle connector cable and also the door lock knob. These are straight forward how they go.

When fitting the tweeter, do not pull all the trim away from the door around the window as it will take you all day to put it back.

Just pull back the plastic tweeter grille and take the foam out so that it will be easy to place back. Feed the wire back down in foam under the grille.

Once this has been done, make plans to put it all back as you took it off but in reverse.

Make sure the door connector wire connector is working properly and that the door lock knob is the door panel

Get another person to help you put the panel back on and get them to hold the door panel while you put it on.

Lastly?.

Connect tweeter to rear of speaker on door once back on but not popped into place.

Check tweeters work properly before banging door panel back on.

You are now ready to connect the door panel back on, starting by banging the panel into the retaining clips first.

Please note i am not responsible for any damage that you will cause to your vehicle by using my instructions.... this is my disclaimer! This is just how i did it.... you may find an easier way!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Forgot to put that the tweeters are plug and play and just plug into the back of the standard BMW speaker.

No am p is required as they have their own inline crossover and one metre of wire supplied with it.

If you use an aftermarket tweeter, it may need an amp to power it and has to be the right Ohm as well...
Old 07-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Members

Thanks for the advice, I have managed to get hold of a pair of tweeters from another dealership. I will be following your posting above this weekend to hopefully get them fitted.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

It`s pretty straight forward and makes a nice difference the to the standard sound but i can not stress enough disconnect the battery before removing the door panel or the air bag will fail and you will have to
have it reset.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If you are buying new tweeters buy the L7 or DSP ones, don't bother with the Hi-Fi ones.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
If you are buying new tweeters buy the L7 or DSP ones, don't bother with the Hi-Fi ones.
Too late, already got the HiFi ones.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Members

Job done today, took an hour at most. Door cards easily removed, speakers plug and play. Thanks for the advice.

Are the rear shelf tweeters worth doing also