E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the TV aerial in the sharks fin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am desperate to add TV to my E60. I have looked at all the options but I think its probably best to go with the BMW TV option (adding DVD through a seperate module) however I would like to buy the parts and fit myself.

Any idea whats needed?? TV Tuner, Aeraial?, Boosters??

Any advice appreciated, anyone with the bits fro sale please PM me.

Cheers
Old 12-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Hi,

For what i have seen during the instalation of the Bluetooth module, just forget it.
They have to tear THE WHOLE car apart (every seat and interior panel!!) and it required connections from the back to the front of the car.
The estimated 8 hours are real. I saw it! (BTW, wasn't e60 supposed to have a data bus to reduce the wires inside?). And as the car already has Nav Pro they didn't have to go to the cieling
Installing the TV also implies changing the software configuration so that it appears on the i-Drive menu and the tuning integration with i-drive must surelly be made by bmw.
So, my opinion is: install tv DIY -> forget it. Either go to BMW or speciallized installers of additional kits. I like DIY solutions and have done quite of them in the past. In this area, there is no chance of doing it.

This is just my opinion from the information i could gather,
Good luck!
Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='215906' date='Dec 27 2005, 11:31 AM
Hi,

For what i have seen during the instalation of the Bluetooth module, just forget it.
They have to tear THE WHOLE car apart (every seat and interior panel!!) and it required connections from the back to the front of the car.
The estimated 8 hours are real. I saw it! (BTW, wasn't e60 supposed to have a data bus to reduce the wires inside?). And as the car already has Nav Pro they didn't have to go to the cieling
Installing the TV also implies changing the software configuration so that it appears on the i-Drive menu and the tuning integration with i-drive must surelly be made by bmw.
So, my opinion is: install tv DIY -> forget it. Either go to BMW or speciallized installers of additional kits. I like DIY solutions and have done quite of them in the past. In this area, there is no chance of doing it.

Good luck!
Cheers - any other views anyone??
Old 12-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by DaveDunn' post='215912
Hi,

Good luck!
[/quote]
DIVERSITY ANTS IN THE REAR OR POSSIBLY IN REAR WINDOW +TV TUNER IN BOOT+WIRING +12V AND FEED TO THE CCC UNIT IN FRONT +REPROGRAMMING ...THERE IS A RETROFIT KIT LISTED BUT DONT KNOW WHAT IS IN IT...LOOK UP SEARCH HERE.HAS BEEEN OR IS BEING DONE IN MAURITIOS. ,HOPE THAT HELPS THERE ARE AFTERMARKET UNITS AVAILABLE,YOU HAVE ASKED THIS BEFORE DAVE HAVE YOU HAD NO LUCK YET? :thumbsdown:
Old 12-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by radioham' post='216044
Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='215906' date='Dec 27 2005, 11:31 AM
Hi,

Good luck!
DIVERSITY ANTS IN THE REAR OR POSSIBLY IN REAR WINDOW +TV TUNER IN BOOT+WIRING +12V AND FEED TO THE CCC UNIT IN FRONT +REPROGRAMMING ...THERE IS A RETROFIT KIT LISTED BUT DONT KNOW WHAT IS IN IT...LOOK UP SEARCH HERE.HAS BEEEN OR IS BEING DONE IN MAURITIOS. ,HOPE THAT HELPS THERE ARE AFTERMARKET UNITS AVAILABLE,YOU HAVE ASKED THIS BEFORE DAVE HAVE YOU HAD NO LUCK YET? :thumbsdown:
[/quote]

Thanks radioham. The more I look into it the more I worry about the reception of the TV. Using Dom's unit means that you have to have DVB TV/DVD but this will need an antenna?? I am currently thinking that Dom's unit will be fine for DVD but not for TV?? Thats why I wondered about the BMW TV option and whether I can install it myself. Is the retrofit kit you refer to a BMW one?? Any expereince of what reception would be like using a DVB TV/DVD unit in the boot??

Sorry for all the questions but I dont want to spend a load of cash and end up with poor TV reception.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

did you find a solution yet dave? I'd like to have tv in my car too but the whole process seems daunting!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sorry for asking, but why do you need a TV in your car???

For the kids in the rear seat or what?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='216863' date='Dec 29 2005, 06:29 PM

I had the TV option on a 7 series I used to own and to be honest its completely useless unless you are a chaffuer who has to sit around in the car for ages. The reception is poor at best and to top it off the picture switches off when on the move due to safety regulations.

If its for the rear seats then thats another ballgame.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SKK' post='216865

I had the TV option on a 7 series I used to own and to be honest its completely useless unless you are a chaffuer who has to sit around in the car for ages. The reception is poor at best and to top it off the picture switches off when on the move due to safety regulations.

If its for the rear seats then thats another ballgame.
[/quote]

Still not finalised a solution but will probably get the BMW option if I can afford it!