E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turtle wax for headlight lens resoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
I thought I would add a few comments. I work in the plastic industry. These headlight lenses are made of a plastic called polycarbonate. You may have heard of Lexan as a tradename, for example. This plastic has poor UV (sunlight) resistance. It will yellow, haze and crack with extended UV exposure. Therefore, the lenses are coated with a silicone hardcoat. This hardcoat will not last forever either. I do find it odd that it seems very unpredictable...could be the quality and different suppliers the auto companies use. It certainly matters where in the country you live (e.g. Florida or Arizona will be much worse than Minnesota) and if you park outside a lot (do you park the car in a parking lot outside at work all day?, or in a garage?)

Anyway, my concern over these polishing kits is you are basically removing this hardcoat and exposing the polycarbonate, which is much less UV resistant than the original coating. You could try to polish and basically continue to do so on a very regular basis.

Someone commented earlier and I have to agree, the only long term method is to polish completely and find a paint shop that can clearcoat the headlight.
thx for the tip appreciate it but idno what my friend is doing he said he will polish and put uv portection and it wont turn yellow
and i live in california nunfortunately i dont have a garage
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
I thought I would add a few comments. I work in the plastic industry. These headlight lenses are made of a plastic called polycarbonate. You may have heard of Lexan as a tradename, for example. This plastic has poor UV (sunlight) resistance. It will yellow, haze and crack with extended UV exposure. Therefore, the lenses are coated with a silicone hardcoat. This hardcoat will not last forever either. I do find it odd that it seems very unpredictable...could be the quality and different suppliers the auto companies use. It certainly matters where in the country you live (e.g. Florida or Arizona will be much worse than Minnesota) and if you park outside a lot (do you park the car in a parking lot outside at work all day?, or in a garage?)

Anyway, my concern over these polishing kits is you are basically removing this hardcoat and exposing the polycarbonate, which is much less UV resistant than the original coating. You could try to polish and basically continue to do so on a very regular basis.

Someone commented earlier and I have to agree, the only long term method is to polish completely and find a paint shop that can clearcoat the headlight.

exactly. on my write up i put that sanding takes away the uv protecting coat. and when i have my headlight out to do the orion install, while its out im going to shoot it with body clear.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by roskinc
exactly. on my write up i put that sanding takes away the uv protecting coat. and when i have my headlight out to do the orion install, while its out im going to shoot it with body clear.
Exactly what you should do. Put a nice coating on it, depending on your viscosity...I'd say the best would be 5- 6 coats of clear making the first coat a thin layer and then letting it stand for about 10 min at least then spray the remaining coats not too much though you do not want drips. position the lights on their backside with bulbs facing up and even if you do get drips on the edges, a razor can take them right off after they've dried. It will be covered by the headlight seal anyway. If you want, have them mix some VHT nightshades in the mix and give it a very slight tint like the newer vehicles have....such as the Ford Fusion and I think even the Pontiac G8 have. Good look. It's the only way to keep the head light forever. I am Florida so the sun takes its toll on cars parked outdoors.