E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turned Down 550I Sport Carbon Black/Creme I ordered

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today the car i ordered came in was prepped and ready to roll I admist the color combo looked stunning all shiny in the sun i loved it.

Car had active steering and steptronic, i drove it a good 45 min i absolutly hated the car, the active steering, the power(lack of for my habits) the silly steptronic shifter. I was so dissapointed because the car is so nice looking and not cheap on a lease i was expecting more.

I guess since my older 545 which i didnt have very long (7 month 72 days in the shop out of the 7 months) the car may have changed a bit in the feel, overall the car just lacked any real feel for my inputs.

This is my opinion today after a good test drive.

Black M5 sitting there i asked for a ride and Oh my God its the car for me, it was just spectacular in every which way, I have to say for all the cars i have driven exotic and sport, the M5 is as close to perfection as possible in a versatile package it just blows anything Audi and Mercedes and Jaguar could ever bring to the market just amazing i can not praise the car enough thats how exhilirating i felt driving it.

Did any of you guys compare these two back to back? Only issue is the lease on an M5 is a pocket killer yikes!!!!!!!!

Now Im back to square 1, honestly i really was dissapointed in the 550 Sport.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Let the flaming begin!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Members

go for it they are two clearly different cars, the M5 is much more sportier and involving and fun hence 24k more on MSRP so it should be

Now i realize why active steering is not on many cars coming in to our local dealers, its feels just odd and twitchy
Old 06-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

Love it!!!! Congrats.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by nisonger212' post='437494' date='Jun 19 2007, 01:23 PM
Car had active steering and steptronic, i drove it a good 45 min i absolutly hated the car, the active steering, the power(lack of for my habits) the silly steptronic shifter. I was so dissapointed because the car is so nice looking and not cheap on a lease i was expecting more.
Didn't you test drive 1 before you decided to order?? The power on the 08's are the same as 07's. But who can blame one for liking the M5..
Old 06-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by nisonger212' post='437494' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:23 PM
Well today the car i ordered came in was prepped and ready to roll I admist the color combo looked stunning all shiny in the sun i loved it.

I guess since my older 545 which i didnt have very long (7 month 72 days in the shop out of the 7 months) the car may have changed a bit in the feel, overall the car just lacked any real feel for my inputs.

This is my opinion today after a good test drive.

Black M5 sitting there i asked for a ride and Oh my God its the car for me, it was just spectacular in every which way, I have to say for all the cars i have driven exotic and sport, the M5 is as close to perfection as possible in a versatile package it just blows anything Audi and Mercedes and Jaguar could ever bring to the market just amazing i can not praise the car enough thats how exhilirating i felt driving it.

Did any of you guys compare these two back to back? Only issue is the lease on an M5 is a pocket killer yikes!!!!!!!!

Now Im back to square 1, honestly i really was dissapointed in the 550 Sport.

I know what you mean about the active steering but after getting used to it it is great especially at hi speeds in in the corners, as for power ?? wow I think it has tons , certainly enough . How much power from the M will you actually get to use . Why not give it another chance , I almost turned mine back too but I think it could win you over eventually

Cheers
Old 06-19-2007, 03:47 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by nisonger212' post='437494' date='Jun 19 2007, 10:23 PM
silly steptronic shifter
Whats wrong with it?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by ipp' post='437577' date='Jun 19 2007, 04:47 PM
Whats wrong with it?
I absolutely love my car. I have driven lighter-faster and heavier cars. For it's weight and power and performance, I've never felt anything like it--comparatively. The M-5 is sick for sure. The SMG is wack on it for somebody driving in LA. I'm sure the newer 08's with Manual tranny's will dramatically improve it.

I have a strange feeling you drove the car in "D-Mode" the whole time. There is a noticeable lag in this tranny mode on the Steps. But if you switch to "M-Mode" or "DS Mode" the lag is eliminated. I find in fact the torque curve pretty amazing from 2nd to 3rd in M-Mode.

To each his own but I love the 550i Sport. I'd surely love the M-5 too but not for $1850/mo for 24 months. I can't justify the extra expenditure when I'll rarely drive her like she needs to be driven. In some ways, I could say that about the 550 as well. She is a real treat at 4000 RPM's in 3rd and 4th Gear but alas....i look down at my Speedometer and I'm doing 110mph and soon going to jail if I get caughtl

550i is about as good as it gets....IMO. Go back and drive it again in M-Mode and tell us what you experience.

So Cal
Old 06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Different strokes for different folks. M5 is an amazing car but not a daily driver if you are putting on the milage. At 12 mpg, I hope you are on a first name basis with your gas station attendent. 550 is practical for daily use but you can have some serious fun on demand. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

An (older) friend of mine who owns both the 550i and M5 said it best "You drive the 550 but you pilot the M5"

Quick Reply: Turned Down 550I Sport Carbon Black/Creme I ordered