E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turbo problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guy's.
Need some help I drive a 535D and I think I might have blown the smaller turbo on my car,all of a sudden I've got lag below 2000rpm and a real lack of performance below that,also when I got out of the car there was a real burning smell,not being an expert and this being my only guess,has anyone experienced and is it possible to blow a turbo on a BMW? Please help.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

sounds like.... either way totaly a dealer shop. They should be able to tell if there are right pressures in the turbo by pluging computer in. at least that is what they used to do with my Audi diesel

but the smell sounds like cluth maybe.... burned one smells real bad....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Marty' post='261990' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:22 PM
Hi guy's.
Need some help I drive a 535D and I think I might have blown the smaller turbo on my car,all of a sudden I've got lag below 2000rpm and a real lack of performance below that,also when I got out of the car there was a real burning smell,not being an expert and this being my only guess,has anyone experienced and is it possible to blow a turbo on a BMW? Please help.
If you would have blown the turbo i think you would have known smth capital happend, like a powerfull sound and powerloss or even error messages. I mean it's hard to blow a turbo that easily even if you drive very hard. Burning smell can occur whenever you drive hard if the car hasn't been driven hard for a while. Or simply from the other parts that heat up, brakes, exhaust. Are you sure the smell came from the turbo?
I for one never heard of blown turbos on a bmw, a stock bmw.
I dunno if i were you i would pay a visit to the stealer to have it checked.
And a word of advice if you already didn't know that: try to let the engine cool down after some rather hard driving. Don't simply park the car and kill the engine, let it run for about 5 minutes more, that way the oil from the turbos cools down progressively and the turbos themselfes cool down progresively, not suddenly. That's a way of protecting the turbo's life. But that's a good advice on almost any kind of engines.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='261999' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:33 PM
And a word of advice if you already didn't know that: try to let the engine cool down after some rather hard driving. Don't simply park the car and kill the engine, let it run for about 5 minutes more, that way the oil from the turbos cools down progressively and the turbos themselfes cool down progresively, not suddenly. That's a way of protecting the turbo's life. But that's a good advice on almost any kind of engines.

so true. That is very true. I used to do it with my TDI all the time.... especially after long highway rides at summer Now with 530i only half a minute before shutting down the engine after long or hard ride.....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='261999' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:33 PM
If you would have blown the turbo i think you would have known smth capital happend, like a powerfull sound and powerloss or even error messages.
It does not have to be blown turbo all the way... maybe some air or oil hose is loose......... that is also what happened to me on my diesel Audi..... no power, smell, smoke.... I thought blown turbo but it was the air intake for the turbo that fell off plug'n play fix

either way it is most likely some mechanical problem that should be easily visible by experienced serviceman.... just follow all the pipes and lines in the engine and check' em....
and the dealers diagnostics will tell a lot about the right PSI pressures as well
Old 03-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='262006' date='Mar 29 2006, 06:41 PM
It does not have to be blown turbo all the way... maybe some air or oil hose is loose......... that is also what happened to me on my diesel Audi..... no power, smell, smoke.... I thought blown turbo but it was the air intake for the turbo that fell off plug'n play fix

either way it is most likely some mechanical problem that should be easily visible by experienced serviceman.... just follow all the pipes and lines in the engine and check' em....
and the dealers diagnostics will tell a lot about the right PSI pressures as well
Hi Peter.
Just before I noticed the problem I had been driving the car hard, as I was late trying to get somewere on time,but it was after I'd returned to the car after 5 mins that I noticed the problem,do you thing the damage could have been done when I switched the ignition off after the hard driving? and if so might it sort itself out once it's all cooled down?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='262003' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:37 PM
so true. That is very true. I used to do it with my TDI all the time.... especially after long highway rides at summer Now with 530i only half a minute before shutting down the engine after long or hard ride.....
Indeed petrol engines take less to cool themselfes down than diesel engines, wich also start to heat up harder. That's because the turbos heat up very very much and they alone are a source of enormous heat. That's why some diesel engines need proper intercoolers. But i presume you knew all of that. I mentioned more for the others.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Marty' post='262029' date='Mar 29 2006, 02:11 PM
Hi Peter.
Just before I noticed the problem I had been driving the car hard, as I was late trying to get somewere on time,but it was after I'd returned to the car after 5 mins that I noticed the problem,do you thing the damage could have been done when I switched the ignition off after the hard driving? and if so might it sort itself out once it's all cooled down?
sure it could totaly finished itself after the car was off and turned on again.... this happened to my friends gas pump belt.... all was fine while driving and after he got back after ten minutes stop the problem was there.....

but if you admit a serious hard driving simply some mechanical failure maybe happened.... maybe some hidden material false..... so it broke while extreme conditions.....

eitherway it is easily determinable problem for the dealer since it is so obvious and experienced person will know right away what it is...... it is nothing like those stupid software problems which takes weeks for the dealers to even spot
Old 03-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='262036' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:16 PM
... it is nothing like those stupid software problems which takes weeks for the dealers to even spot
Aleluia to that!