E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Turbo blew up

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 06 530d and just found out today got blown turbo. haven even had it dms yet. car done less them 10k miles
Old 03-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SteVTEC' post='401960' date='Mar 12 2007, 09:25 PM
My thoughts exactly. And the 335/535 has two tiny little turbos
It does? If it's anything like the 535d, the turbos are disparately sized (one being small) and (if I read correctly) use a simpler and inherently more reliable technology.

I know it's a smaller population (and even smaller on e60.net) but, (touching lots of wood here) I can't remember the last time I read of a 535d turbo going west.

regards the turbo, I am of the opinion that our dual stage charging is much less likely to fail than the other models with single turbos. As we have two fixed vane turbos complementing each other compared to the variable vane setups of the single units, there is less technology in each of them hence less to go wrong. I used to be paranoid about that when I initially bought mine, but in the 2.5 years this engine now exists, I think I have heard of only one failure of the small unit, while 530d E60 owners still had their's replaced at a much higher rate.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=399082

ABC
Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by SteVTEC' post='401960' date='Mar 12 2007, 04:25 PM
My thoughts exactly. And the 335/535 has two tiny little turbos that'll be spinning their guts out, and since it's petrol vs diesel, they'll have to deal with significantly hotter exhaust gas temperatures which will put even more strain on them. They "say" they've used special materials in the turbos to handle the extremely high EGTs, but for how long? Probably for as long as the warranty period, and not much more.

BMW pulled all the stops out that they could to make that engine as efficient and responsive as possible, and it's awesome. But to get that they had to give up elsewhere, and most likely it'll be long-term reliability. If it costs 1100 Euro for one turbo on a 530d, it'll probably cost US $2000 for one of the turbos on a 535i, and there's two of them. Personally, I plan on buying and keeping for awhile in the US instead of leasing, so this is a big concern. I'd rather have the 530i back with the N53 engine and not have to worry about ticking time bomb turbochargers. In contrast, Subaru seems to know how to build pretty darn reliable turbo/petrol engines. They also run much richer mixtures (cooler EGTs) to protect the turbos, and lower compression. Turbos are a bit bigger vs engine size and laggier also. None of that is good for response or efficiency, but it is good for reliability.
As a consolation prize, the US N52 528i (3.0, 230hp/200tq) is probably quick enough for me, and it's cheaper than last year's 525i in the US when both are paired with the automatic, so that's probably what I'll go with. The wife and I are planning to eventually pick up a sporty convertible down the line anyways, so whatever E60 I get doesn't need to be ultra-fast. Will leave that for the 2dr convertible. Would still rather have a 265hp/230tq N53 though.
Thank You! I was beginning to think that I was the only one who noticed and cared about this situation. I'm serious about Audi. It's a damn shame because nothing rides, brakes, and handles like a Bimmer. But....they just have to screw around with engine choices and make it difficult.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The turbos are not a new idea, all large trucks have turbo diesel engines, atleast in EU since some 15 years ago.

My friend told me about the Russian oil companies working in Siberia that when they ordered Toyota Land Cruiser's
(a couple of dozen or so / delivery) they always also ordered 2-3 extra spare turbos / car.

The cars where running all the time, nite and day, do to cold temperatures and when the turbo blew, they just installed
a new one.

Anyway, the turbo should actually be seen as a part that has to changed once in a while, as tyres, brake pads, microfilter
or the engine belt etc.

Talking with Finnish taxi drivers about E39 diesels (525d and 530d) and the turbos, I know that the older E39's blew up
the turbos after some 50 k km's but the newer 525d's didn't need a new turbo until some 150 - 200 k km's.

The E60 diesel turbos has about a 150 k km or some 100 k miles change intervall.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

It's a shame that the diesel engines dosen't last longer than that ! A diesel engine should be strong and be able to run for at least 3-400.000 km's before it needs a major repair.

If the turbos was a thing that needed to be changed, I'm pretty sure BMW would have written that in the service book. The bad think about the blown turbos is that often it isn't enough to change the turbo. You will need a new engine because the damaged turbo destroyed the engine.

One of our friends is driving a BMW 320dA (E46) and he had a blown turbo at 275.000 km's.. He needed an new engine, and BMW was freindly enough to cover the cost.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Hmm... interesting thread, food for thought. I recently sold my almost-3-years-old E60 530d and replaced it with an E92 335d, so I've got a turbo diesel again, but now have warranty cover until November 2009.

Two weeks ago the old dealer sent me a letter to remind me that the 3-year warranty was about to run out on my 530d, and I was surprised at the annual cost to renew it: I think it was amost ?700 (appx $1,400 USD) and over ?800 ($1,600 USD) if the car had done over 60,000 miles. At the time I thought this was quite expensive, but maybe they factor in the likely cost of a re-build if the turbo blows up?

I'm travelling on business this week, but when I get home I will read the letter more carefully; it had quite a number of exclusions to the warranty cover.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by red-max' post='402413' date='Mar 13 2007, 05:35 PM
Hmm... interesting thread, food for thought. I recently sold my almost-3-years-old E60 530d and replaced it with an E92 335d, so I've got a turbo diesel again, but now have warranty cover until November 2009.

Two weeks ago the old dealer sent me a letter to remind me that the 3-year warranty was about to run out on my 530d, and I was surprised at the annual cost to renew it: I think it was amost ?700 (appx $1,400 USD) and over ?800 ($1,600 USD) if the car had done over 60,000 miles. At the time I thought this was quite expensive, but maybe they factor in the likely cost of a re-build if the turbo blows up?

I'm travelling on business this week, but when I get home I will read the letter more carefully; it had quite a number of exclusions to the warranty cover.
red-max
I would not like to run any BMW out of warranty, but I would NOT run a diesel out of warranty. I don't care what BMW or anyone says about TD, Turbo can go at ANY time and many had taken good care of their turbos by ( cooling it off after a long run and by waiting for engines to reach operating temp. before stepping on it) and still had blown turbos.

I simply wold not want the worry of turbo failure. Warrantydirect is a good alternative to BMW warranty and just as good; give them a try.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Members

mine went at 77,000 miles fitted week past monday. Had it back for about a week and car broke down! It was driving but would not go above 65mph. Had the warning light increased emissions coming on. Anyway got it to the dealer yesterday and said there was a broken pipe that goes into the turbo! So guess the guy has cracked it putting the turbo on and just kept his mouth shut. Lasted a week and its getting a new one tommorow.

The break list continues......
Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530dA 3/2004

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='402310' date='Mar 13 2007, 01:11 PM
The turbos are not a new idea, all large trucks have turbo diesel engines, atleast in EU since some 15 years ago.

Talking with Finnish taxi drivers about E39 diesels (525d and 530d) and the turbos, I know that the older E39's blew up
the turbos after some 50 k km's but the newer 525d's didn't need a new turbo until some 150 - 200 k km's.

The E60 diesel turbos has about a 150 k km or some 100 k miles change intervall.

Btw, trucks have used turbos from '50's, not '90's..

Indeed those early E39's blow turbos max 150 tkm, usually in lower km's.
I had an E60 530dA with 100 tkm and the turbo was probable going to dead not in far future (a lot of oil leaks in pipes = bearings wearing out).
Now I have similar one with 144 tkm and turbo was changed in 134. So a lot of safe km's should be in, I hope.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='402421' date='Mar 13 2007, 10:53 PM
Warrantydirect is a good alternative to BMW warranty and just as good; give them a try.
Less exclusions, cheaper cover, and no need to use dealers for servicing

Quick Reply: Turbo blew up