E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trying to reset service light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I got new cabin air filters and installed them today. I found the DIY to reset the service indicator but I can't make it work. In the directions it said to put key in but don't start and reset odometer but I found that I couldn't reset the odo without starting the car. I turned the car off and waited until I heard it go to sleep. Put the key back in took it out then put back in again and held the reset until the triangle appeared. I released the reset and as soon as I do the mileage reappears. Instructions say to push the reset again right away after getting the triangle, which I did, but it won't go into the menu to reset anything. What am I doing wrong or have the instructions changed since the DIY was posted? I would appreciate any help.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by SBrown712
I got new cabin air filters and installed them today. I found the DIY to reset the service indicator but I can't make it work. In the directions it said to put key in but don't start and reset odometer but I found that I couldn't reset the odo without starting the car.
It is exactly as stated in the directions but its a little hard to understand, as soon as you do it, its like duh!

It should be in the position where the motor would be running but you have the car off.

it make take a couple times to get it right, but just be persistent.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550I Sport, Jet Black w/Tan Interior: Comfort Access, Premium Package, Nav, Sirius Radio, Cold Weather Package

Put the FOB/key in the reciever. and hit the start button, as if you wanted to start the car but forgot to hold your foot on the brake pedal. Once you've got the full instrument display without a running engine, hold the mileage reset button down and keep it depressed past the triangle symbol...wait until the service menu comes up. Once the service menu is up, you can cycle through the items to get to the microfilter, press and hold the reset button until the menu asks if you want to reset. press and hold until it resets
Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Members

^
|
Hey what he said up there.... Here's my experience,

Having comfort access, I used the key in the ignition anyway... Did this today, so here's what happened IIRC:
Put key in hole.
Pressed trip reset to clear the trip meter.
Removed key.
Replaced key.
*Push start button without foot on the brake.
The car does everything but start.
Hold reset key until service light illuminates. Release reset button and press again.
Press the reset button to Cycle through the service icons until you see the one with a fan and a box... Then hold it in to choose reset, release. A quick press again should reset it.
FYI it reset to 90K Miles.
Hope this helps...

*pushing the start button was the piece I missed so many times my failed attempts.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I see what it is now. The DIY doesn't tell you to hit the start button only to have the key in place. I'm going to go try it now.

WOOHOOI got it. Thanks guys.