E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trunk opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

So last night, i parked my car at about midnight, went to put some mail in the box at about 6:00am and I saw my trunk open. No problem. The alarm didnt go off so i figure I must have sat on the key or something. Looked at the key at it was on the table undisturbed. Closed trunk, no problem.

Went out today and got my sportbike out and realize i need my helmet and it's in the car. I go to the car, and the trunk is open. The LEDs for the amp are on and the interior boot lights are on. I ask wife to get key and she has it so I get my helmet and close trunk. WTF I know something is up, I'm not that retarded. We'll see. Anyone experience these type of issues before. It worries me because in a few months we'll have rainy season again. I don't mind parking in garage, but i planned on preparing the E46 for an Silbergrau to AlpinWeiss make-over... a whole other story!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 535 Xi

Did it ever happen again? Interesting thing, because i found my trunk opened a couple of times on my 2004 530i. I thought that was me who not intentionally opened it...
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by zamestytel
Did it ever happen again? Interesting thing, because i found my trunk opened a couple of times on my 2004 530i. I thought that was me who not intentionally opened it...
+1000 good question, this has happened to me about 6 or 7 times. I just always wrote it off as I hit the button or sat on the key wrong. I wonder if there really is something up.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

I have a feeling that our trunk lid locks are faulty too - they are so touchy. Something is definitely going on here but not sure.
Seems like AchtungE60 - you are probably the best person to look deeper since it seems to be happening consistently .

I suspect the lid lock on the trunk the most - maybe something is wearing out there. But it may very well be a circuit issue in the key.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 04' 545i Sport Mystic Blue

I've had this happen to me a few times. The first few times I thought I must be hitting my key while in my pants pocket. Then one time it happened while I was at work and we have cameras. So I pulled up the video of my car in the parking lot and compared it to the video of what I was doing and it just magically opened. Didn't even have my key on me. Weird! I'm afraid to leave my laptop in the trunk after work and don't really want to leave it inside the car in plain view either. But I figure it?s safer inside for now.

Hope this gets figured out quickly.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Once in a while I'll get the chime and light that'll tell me my trunk is open, especially after closing it rather gently. The chime will periodically come on and off until I stop, reopen and slam! it shut. My trunk once opened while driving, seriously. Something must be going on with our latching mechanism (maybe a bad connection electrically?) so until I have it checked out I just make sure to always slam it shut.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535 Xi

The only thing i can think of is the latch itself. Maybe it has a few lock positions. Position one- is when you gently close it and it barely locks the trunk lid (thats when most of random openings happen) Position two is when you close it with some effort. And position three is when you slam it shut....
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

An old thread (with no fixes):http://www.bimmerfes...ad.php?t=364754

Summary:
1. Moving to a different keyfob fixed the issue for one person
2. Some discussion about the trunk having some sort of failsafe mechanism to not lock the key inside.

Anyways, good to know we are not dreaming about all this
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Our cars are so weird. My story for the truck is in opposite direction. Every time, I have to press the key twice to open the truck. So I trigger the alarm a lot....)
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Hey guys sorry i haven't seen replies I don't watch posts much. Yes it happened several times after this as well. I came home after a night out and found it open at 3am. No one messes with my stuff. They see me outside with Mr.Klashnikov or when I am suited up carrying out cans of ammo for a day at the range and decide to greet me instead of pestering me. Plus I make friends with the kids around so they can rat each other out to win my approval. If that doesn't help the 8 camera security system helps. LOOOOL. They probably think im psychic by now.
In reality, there's nothing I can do about it. It's not a coding/programming issue and my car is fully updated with ISTA v45 so WTF. I got the battery cable safety recall letter. I'll take it in and have lunch on them and call them a few days later letting them know that they've done something to the trunk lol. I'll get the famous "could not replicate" probably. I know they can't do anything I just like to watch their faces when they reply. perhaps they have lots of complaints.

This is definitely an issue and it's either the keyfob (i have the diamond shaped key) or the locking mechanism. I do not sit on my key. I never ever put anything in my back pockets (don't ask me about the blade incident, I'm trying to forget lol) and if someone did sit on the key i'm sure the alarm would go off because there is like a 2 second delay with opening or panic going off. I've done that many times 3:00am (neighbors probably hate me)

My MAIN concern is that it's officially Hurricane season here and I would hate for it to happen spontaneously again while we're in the middle of a typhoon.

Guys let's put our heads together and figure something out and once we do I'll kindly and professionally write BMWNA about the issue. This has to be some sort of glitch. For now the car is parked in garage. I'm returning to stock and i'll drive it occasionally until one lucky fella comes along for her. Anyone who's had this issue let's start documenting this for a good sample size and so commonalities. perhaps we'll figure it out.

achtunge60 - 2004 BMW 530i diamond key

Quick Reply: Trunk opening