E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trunk Lid Gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I purchased my 06' 525i as certified pre-owned form the dealer, and noticed this off the lot but it didn't bother me too much to say anything. I'm not sure if the gap has grown wider, or I have just noticed it more, but there is a visible gap between the right side of the trunk lid and the body of the car. The left side looks just fine. The gap is sealed (no water leaks in) but I'm afraid it will eventually get bigger. Any idea how easy (if at all possible) it is to adjust the hinge so that the lid closes tighter on the body? Am I going to need to go to a body shop or dealer for this? Any help would be appreciated, I am a newbie about BMW's. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Lid Gap-1.jpg   Trunk Lid Gap-2.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Contributors

That gap, based on your pictures is HUGE and the trunk lid doesn't line up properly. How long ago did you buy the car?

As a BMW CPO purchase this is something that should have NEVER made it off the dealer's lot without a repair/adjustment

If you waited too long the dealer may have a solid case that YOU had a wreck and the fix is on YOU!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Members

Normally that gap isn't the smallest but this is definitely too big. Something is wrong. Has it been hit from the back?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

OUCH! I would also imagine you will have a water ingress problem as well. With that size of a gap I can't imagine the seal doing very much. I agree with Ballistic, possibly a rear end hit. I would get it checked out and hopefully it?s just an adjustment.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I know I'm an idiot for driving off the lot with this, but it didn't seem to be as big as it is now, back then, or not sure if I was just too excited about the card and didn't notice.

Anyhow, at this point, there is now water leakage, the seal is tight. The car has no record of being in any accidents. The reason I thought it may just need a slight adjustment, is because if I push down on the right side with my hand, the lid moves into alignment with the car body. It gave me hope that the hinge just needs to be tightened or something of that nature. Inside the trunk is that molded fabric type lining so it blocks me from seeing where the hinge assembly is.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by fl2009
Thanks for the replies. Yea, I know I'm an idiot for driving off the lot with this, but it didn't seem to be as big as it is now, back then, or not sure if I was just too excited about the card and didn't notice.

Anyhow, at this point, there is now water leakage, the seal is tight. The car has no record of being in any accidents. The reason I thought it may just need a slight adjustment, is because if I push down on the right side with my hand, the lid moves into alignment with the car body. It gave me hope that the hinge just needs to be tightened or something of that nature. Inside the trunk is that molded fabric type lining so it blocks me from seeing where the hinge assembly is.

those panels can be removed in seconds. Just 2 plastic quarter turn screws. Be sure to lift up the lower trunk panel first as it sits on top of part of the side panel.

also... Be sure to remove EVERYTHING from under the spar tire - all trays until you get to the bottom of the trunk to inspect for water.

I have had my trunk lid adjusted when it was sticking up similarly (just not as bad as yours).
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I have had my trunk lid adjusted when it was sticking up similarly (just not as bad as yours).
Thanks for your reply. Will check this afternoon for water. How did you go about having the lid adjusted? A body shop or yourself? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by fl2009
Thanks for your reply. Will check this afternoon for water. How did you go about having the lid adjusted? A body shop or yourself? Thanks.

It was part of some other body work I had done so the pros did it for me.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

just adjust the lid. You will find out if it's not adjustable due to accident. With today's paint jobs especially in BMW it's very hard to tell if there was an accident without a meter because they come with orange peel paint from the factory lol astonishing for a "top notch" brand.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Take it to a BMW approved auto body shop. They should be able to help you out in no time for minimal money or you can try it yourself. You will need to remove a second panel (after the first one mentioned above is removed) to access the hinge itself.

Quick Reply: Trunk Lid Gap