E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it true that cars with Sat nav and or Bluetooth can pass on information.I have been informed that our cars will pass on information regarding traffic congestion to each other when passing etc.

If this is so then what else is it capable off. Informing the men in black about your particular taste in air freshener?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

By saying "in passing" do you mean when you are passing ahead of another car? I would think that senario would be useless since he would be in the same traffic you were in. But cars communicating back to the satelite about there speed would help everyone else before they got to a heavy traffic area.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by sleeper' post='478538' date='Oct 6 2007, 09:29 AM
Is it true that cars with Sat nav and or Bluetooth can pass on information.
First up, satnav is passive: it receives GPS signals from satellites but does not transmit. Secondly, while Bluetooth is obviously 2-way communication, cars don't talk to each other!

In the UK and Europe, traffic information is broadcast to cars using the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) via FM-RDS radio (in ths USA this is via satellite radio, I believe). The information itself is collected from a network of 50,000 fleet vehicles including Eddie Stobart trucks, AA vehicles and National Express coaches.

BC
Old 10-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've heard of the concept that sleeper is talking about. I can't remember what company was developing it, etc. but it is something that might exist sometime in the future. (edit: I think the technology is called "TrafficView" -- take a look here:
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~iftode/tv04.pdf)

Clearly, the E60 doesn't do this at this time...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

BMW is one of a few manufacturers participating in the Network on Wheels research program which is developing the technology to do essentially what sleeper originally posted. They are also particpating in the related Car 2 Car program, which looks like much the same thing.

As other posters say, the E60 can't do this right now, but BMW are involved in research programs to enable it.

http://www.network-on-wheels.de/vision.html

http://www.network-on-wheels.de/about.html

http://www.car-2-car.org/
Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I know my car talks to me..... come drive me !

Cheers
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='478582' date='Oct 6 2007, 11:29 AM
By saying "in passing" do you mean when you are passing ahead of another car? I would think that senario would be useless since he would be in the same traffic you were in. But cars communicating back to the satelite about there speed would help everyone else before they got to a heavy traffic area.
It is blindingly obvious that I am not refering to "passing ahead of another car".

I asked the question as I am a bit scepticle myself at this point. My E60 is not packed with the technology that some of the newer ones have and a I was enquiring if any of the members with the new 07's or 08's have any thing similar.

If I cant ask the qustion here then where?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by sleeper' post='478538' date='Oct 6 2007, 10:29 AM
I have been informed that our cars will pass on information regarding traffic congestion to each other when passing etc.
As stated, BMW is participating in Network on Wheels which will give you other important info such as "Warning, Ambulance 50 meters right" when approaching an intersection. But it's still in testing phase and is not ripe for production yet. So, I believe the guy who told you that was mixing up what he'd read in a car magazine with current, sligtlhy low-tech reality.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='479453' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:41 AM
As stated, BMW is participating in Network on Wheels which will give you other important info such as "Warning, Ambulance 50 meters right" when approaching an intersection. But it's still in testing phase and is not ripe for production yet. So, I believe the guy who told you that was mixing up what he'd read in a car magazine with current, sligtlhy low-tech reality.
Yes, Thanks. I can see how it could be useful for a number of reasons.

Cheers.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sleeper' post='479448' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:11 AM
It is blindingly obvious that I am not refering to "passing ahead of another car".
If I cant ask the qustion here then where?
Chill out But to be fair, your question was;

"I have been informed that our cars will pass on information regarding traffic congestion to each other when passing etc."
and the title of the thread is
"Is this true? E60's communicating on passing."

You can ask anywhere you like, but no need to get in a "strop" when people reply or ask questions, even if they do get the wrong end of the stick. We're all friends here

Quick Reply: Is this true?