E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck drops gravel on highway and damaged my car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

i knew it, i knew it and i knew it!
while driving home this evening i met a rusty truck ahead, knowing that loose pieces of gravel might at times fall from the back i stayed a hundred meters back.

while approaching a corner it suddenly slowed and hugh chunks of gravel, stones and various debris came flying towards me bounching on the road in all directions.
i immediately changed lanes and slowed further back, but its too late as my front end took this stone shower! scratches and dents to the paint work and chips on my windshield were everywhere. the noise were frightening!
i am absolutely pissed. i cannot believe the damage even while i was back a hundred meters doing 90 km/h, imagine the damage if i am closer?

just wanting to vent here and warn our e60 members, never to stay behind one of those flat bed gravel trucks. they are never too far ahead of you.
:'(
Old 05-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Sorry to hear that. With expensive car You automaticly are more carefull in trafic, but sometimes it's not enough. I have similar experience, but fortunately with rent car.

Skaffa
Old 05-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by rollee' date='May 9 2005, 10:19 PM
while driving home this evening i met a rusty truck ahead, knowing that loose pieces of gravel might at times fall from the back i stayed a hundred meters back.

while approaching a corner it suddenly slowed and hugh chunks of gravel, stones and various debris came flying towards me bounching on the road in all directions.
i immediately changed lanes and slowed further back, but its too late as my front end took this stone shower! scratches and dents to the paint work and chips on my windshield were everywhere. the noise were frightening!
i am absolutely pissed. i cannot believe the damage even while i was back a hundred meters doing 90 km/h, imagine the damage if i am closer?

just wanting to vent here and warn our e60 members, never to stay behind one of those flat bed gravel trucks. they are never too far ahead of you.
[snapback]126442[/snapback]
I hope you got their license plate so your insurance company can sue their asses.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

sorry to hear that :'(. if you got their license plate or the company's name on the trunk. it'll be much easier for you to file a claim against them.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by rollee' date='May 10 2005, 01:19 AM

Wow, what a shame. I hope you can recover damages from the trucking company. These sons-of-btchs need to pay!

My pet peeve is trucks that have signs that claim, "Not responsible for damages to your vehicle from my load." WTF????? How can you disclaim responsibility for failure to secure your cargo? Makes my blood boil ...
:bashwall: :bashwall:

In case you haven't guessed, I'm no fan of trucks ...
Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

====================

Hi rollee:

Sorry to hear about that adverse situation with one of those old trucks! I can advise by some of my personal experience, if it has not been too long; and if you got their name and phone number off their truck, you might want to get a police report to sent along with it, {coming from the public safety side, I know you can never have too much "time" and "dated" documentation when dealing with of those truck drivers, with their attorneys! }.

I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
Old 05-10-2005, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Bummer rollee -- I'm sure you're just sick about the whole thing. :'( Hopefully you'll get it fixed up and be good as new in no time!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Members

I feel for you. I just put in an order for a Colgan front end bra because I will be doing some major highway driving. I hope to avoid bug a chip damage, but it certainly wouldn't completey protect the car from what you encountered. I hope you have the license # - of not, you might try and write down as much about what happened as possible including the time and exact location. You could try and track him down that way.

Good luck--sorry to hear. Last month somone keyed my trunk and smashed my bumper so I feel your pain.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sorry to hear about it. I also avoid being behind any truck. A few years ago I got stuck behind one of those trucks that pick up construction dumpsters and was unable to get out from behind it for about 2 minutes and this baseball-size chunk of concrete comes flying at me and smashes on the windshield. Scared the heck out of me--and put a nice crack in the windshield.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Members

This is a CONSTANT problem for me. I have a clear bra which helps, but certainly doesn't solve the problem entirely. In my daily commute I am on I-40 for about 20 miles each way. What do you do when you see one of these trucks? You can speed up a bit and pass them, but you are in danger of a rock shower the whole time you are gaining on and then passing them. You can hang way back, but still the rocks can end up reaching you. If I slow way down to say....65 in a 65.....two problems are created. One....other drivers get p.o.'d and behave irraticaly around you and 2......more dump trucks catch and pass you and also end up showering the car with rocks..
I can't seem to come up with any kind of solution.
Personally I think dump trucks need to be policed for proper load securing/ covering and kept to the far right lane at a max speed of 50 MPH.
In North Carolina dump trucks are not even required to post license plates on the rear of their vehicles so most times when one dumps part of its load on your car you can't even get a plate number to try and pursue a claim!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: truck drops gravel on highway and damaged my car!