E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with 545

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm new to the forum having recently purchased a 2004 545 with manual transmission. The car has a CPO (thankfully) and 33,000 miles. The car is in nearly flawless condition and BMW maintenance records show very little unschdeuled maintenance (all scheduled maintenance was performed). Since purchasing the car a couple of months ago it's been to the dealership twice (it's there now). The first time for for relatively minor issues (leaky clutch hydraulic line, bad active steering module, leaky tire, and weak battery). This time it's there following a "check engine light" and subsequent "limp home" mode activation. The car has thrown a "check engine" light a few times as follows:

First event - Red "engine malfunction - reduce engine speed" with the amber "check engine" light. Engine ran fine and trouble code cleared following restart.

Second event - Approximately 1000 miles after the first event - amber "check engine" light. Engine ran fine, trouble code cleared following restart.

Third event - Approximately 100 miles after second event -Red "engine malfunction - reduce engine speed" with the amber "check engine" light. Engine ran very rough - felt like it was firing on 4 cylinders and had very little power. Limped the car home (5 miles). Restarted 1/2 hour after getting it home and all was well...no trouble codes and engine was smooth. Checked with an OBD II reader and it gave a "misfire on cylinder 4" message. Had the car towed to the dealer at the recommendation of the service manager.

After a day in the shop, all they have been able to confirm is the "misfire on cylinder 4" trouble code. They've checked the fuel injectors and the coil and all seem well. They indicated spark plugs appear fine with no sign of fouling or incorrect combustion. They asked what fuel I run and I indicated always 93 octane. They also indicated that the car is programmed to enter a "limp home mode" following certain engine malfunctions to minimize possible damage.

Any ideas??? My guess would be an intermitent sensor in the emisssions system but so far unconfirmed.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinson108' post='628407' date='Jul 20 2008, 07:38 AM
Hi - I'm new to the forum having recently purchased a 2004 545 with manual transmission. The car has a CPO (thankfully) and 33,000 miles. The car is in nearly flawless condition and BMW maintenance records show very little unschdeuled maintenance (all scheduled maintenance was performed). Since purchasing the car a couple of months ago it's been to the dealership twice (it's there now). The first time for for relatively minor issues (leaky clutch hydraulic line, bad active steering module, leaky tire, and weak battery). This time it's there following a "check engine light" and subsequent "limp home" mode activation. The car has thrown a "check engine" light a few times as follows:

First event - Red "engine malfunction - reduce engine speed" with the amber "check engine" light. Engine ran fine and trouble code cleared following restart.

Second event - Approximately 1000 miles after the first event - amber "check engine" light. Engine ran fine, trouble code cleared following restart.

Third event - Approximately 100 miles after second event -Red "engine malfunction - reduce engine speed" with the amber "check engine" light. Engine ran very rough - felt like it was firing on 4 cylinders and had very little power. Limped the car home (5 miles). Restarted 1/2 hour after getting it home and all was well...no trouble codes and engine was smooth. Checked with an OBD II reader and it gave a "misfire on cylinder 4" message. Had the car towed to the dealer at the recommendation of the service manager.

After a day in the shop, all they have been able to confirm is the "misfire on cylinder 4" trouble code. They've checked the fuel injectors and the coil and all seem well. They indicated spark plugs appear fine with no sign of fouling or incorrect combustion. They asked what fuel I run and I indicated always 93 octane. They also indicated that the car is programmed to enter a "limp home mode" following certain engine malfunctions to minimize possible damage.

Any ideas??? My guess would be an intermitent sensor in the emisssions system but so far unconfirmed.

Thanks for the help.

I?m with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.