E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip to SD Uneventful:

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi All:

We arrived safely and soundly in SD this afternoon about the time the traffic started and the fog started rolling in. The trip was uneventful except that I managed to stay ahead of all contenders through the mountains/curves ending shortly before Alpine. Right, not just straight lines. I did not have to try very hard though. If I had, then I would have lost because I wouldn't have wanted to scare my wife to death--or me either for that matter. So, I'm glad the competition was easy. It's always a race of sorts through those mountains.

As always, my car was a great pleasure to drive. The RFTs and original wheels did their jobs very capably. And, the B&B just hummed away at highway speed--hardly noticeable.

I decided to test the theory that those purchasing before September have "Concierge" free for one year--which turned out to be true. I had never tried to contact BMW before on the road. And, at first, I had trouble getting through using either SOS, Roadside Assistance, or Customer Relations. Funny though, once I finally made contact with one I could get through to all easily thereafter. Maybe there was a glitch in "the fabric of space-time" when I first started trying. Go figure.

Customer relations gave us a free traffic update for our trouble making contact. I tried for a free year, but no dice. But, you know what I say: if you don't provide the opportunity for unlikely, but good, things to occur, then they are not as likely to occur.

We saw a few near accidents. And, I dodged a few apparently sleeping drivers. Once again we observed the US driving customs of (1) I have the right to drive in the left lane no matter how fast I am going and no matter how much I clog traffic; (2) I can move in front of you with no signal, no matter how fast you are going, and no matter when I decide to change lanes as long as I am using cruise control; and (3) no matter what, I get to practice driving next to trucks in the left lane for miles and mile and miles. "Oh I can see for miles and miles and miles."

Finally, if you are going to cross into CA, be prepared for many LEO's. We encountered 5 or 6 on our side of the road before reaching El Centro--most with radar blaring. There was one case where a car passed us pretty fast and soon thereafter here came a LEO with radar knocking our socks off. I saw the car that passed pull into the median to turn around--illegally of course. Wisely, once the LEO became visible to him he aborted his turn and waited. Sure enough it looked like the LEO was after him from the start. I assume he got him for speed and at least attempting to make an illegal turn or something of that nature. He might have pressed a point and gone for "evading."

Oh, and we stopped a lot for this, that, and the other. So, we passed EGAL in her 540i, I think, 3 times. Does anyone know EGAL? We did not see ILLEGAL.

Merry Xmas to all. And, please be careful driving over the holidays. While I played in the curves a bit, I basically drove very safely.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

HEY Glad you got to CA safely.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='214778' date='Dec 22 2005, 10:58 PM
HEY Glad you got to CA safely.
Thanks amigo.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='214777' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:51 PM
We saw a few near accidents. And, I dodged a few apparently sleeping drivers. Once again we observed the US driving customs of (1) I have the right to drive in the left lane no matter how fast I am going and no matter how much I clog traffic; (2) I can move in front of you with no signal, no matter how fast you are going, and no matter when I decide to change lanes as long as I am using cruise control; and (3) no matter what, I get to practice driving next to trucks in the left lane for miles and mile and miles. "Oh I can see for miles and miles and miles."
When will US drivers learn to drive like Germans. Those road customs drive me nuts. There such be a campaign to re-educate people that the "left lane is for passing ONLY. I can understand your frustration as this is my second biggest discomfort on the interstate freeway/highway. The biggest discomfort are those sneaky cops.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='214780
When will US drivers learn to drive like Germans. Those road customs drive me nuts. There such be a campaign to re-educate people that the "left lane is for passing ONLY. I can understand your frustration as this is my second biggest discomfort on the interstate freeway/highway. The biggest discomfort are those sneaky cops.
[/quote]Yes, the left lane used to be the passing lane even in the US. And, I have observed excellent driving customs in much of Europe, but we have not been to Germany yet. Our next trip, well after this new year, will be to Bavaria.

We sat next to some young Bavarian teachers in Levanto, Italy last summer, and they planned our trip for us. They were so pleasant, well informed, and well spoken. When in Europe, it bothers me that our US "second" language skills typically are so poor. I can speak a litlle Spanish from high school, while these young ladies had studied English their whole lives. But, of course, I can't say much good about our first languge skills in the US anymore.

But, anyway, I wasn't frustrated by our US driving customs. I seldomly get frustrated. I usually just observe. ""Just watching the wheels go rouuuund." Observing is much more enjoyable and productive to me. Merry Xmas B32, and leave granny's nog alone. Or, was that Pennyurion who was into granny's nog?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

Welcome to our little state here on the left coast.

LEOs + my heavy right-foot = V1 hardwire.

I really like the BMW concierge. On my previous M3, the service ordered flowers and had them delivered for my secretary during the "administrative assistant day" that I (almost) forgot, and also got me reservations at a popular restaurant 2 hours before our arrival that very night. Good service - nothing quite like talking to your rearview mirror ...

Merry Xmas vnod and enjoy your stay.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='214791' date='Dec 23 2005, 12:08 AM
Welcome to our little state here on the left coast.

LEOs + my heavy right-foot = V1 hardwire.

I really like the BMW concierge. On my previous M3, the service ordered flowers and had them delivered for my secretary during the "administrative assistant day" that I (almost) forgot, and also got me reservations at a popular restaurant 2 hours before our arrival that very night. Good service - nothing quite like talking to your rearview mirror ...

Merry Xmas vnod and enjoy your stay.
Thanks ipse d. And, your concierge experience is the way its supposed to be. My "portable" V1 would have done the job, but it didn't yet get any official saves on this trip. Still, it has paid for itself many times over. Merry Xmas to you too, and will do.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='214782
Originally Posted by vnod' post='214777' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:51 PM

Yes, the left lane used to be the passing lane even in the US. And, I have observed excellent driving customs in much of Europe, but we have not been to Germany yet. Our next trip, well after this new year, will be to Bavaria.

We sat next to some young Bavarian teachers in Levanto, Italy last summer, and they planned our trip for us. They were so pleasant, well informed, and well spoken. When in Europe, it bothers me that our US "second" language skills typically are so poor. I can speak a litlle Spanish from high school, while these young ladies had studied English their whole lives. But, of course, I can't say much good about our first languge skills in the US anymore.

But, anyway, I wasn't frustrated by our US driving customs. I seldomly get frustrated. I usually just observe. ""Just watching the wheels go rouuuund." Observing is much more enjoyable and productive to me. Merry Xmas B32, and leave granny's nog alone. Or, was that Pennyurion who was into granny's nog?
[/quote]

Merry Christmas to you Vnod, and enjoy your vacation. As for me, I left granny's nog long time ago when she reduced the rum and whisky in the ingredients.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='214806
Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='214780' date='Dec 22 2005, 11:11 PM
[quote name='vnod' post='214777' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:51 PM']

Yes, the left lane used to be the passing lane even in the US. And, I have observed excellent driving customs in much of Europe, but we have not been to Germany yet. Our next trip, well after this new year, will be to Bavaria.

[/quote]

Merry Christmas to you Vnod, and enjoy your vacation. As for me, I left granny's nog long time ago when she reduced the rum and whisky in the ingredients.
[/quote]Thanks B32; will do. And, no nog for me.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Contributors

LEO? What is that?

Welcome to CA vdon!

Quick Reply: Trip to SD Uneventful: