E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trickle Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

[quote name='luigi524td' date='Jan 2 2009, 01:00 AM' post='757535']
Very good point since hydrogen gas is created when a conventional battery is under charge. However, the batteries on BMW have vent tubes that exit the body.

I have not found it necessary to open the trunk for ventilation.

Your post prompted me to look at my battery. Found the drain ... it is smaller than it looks on the line drawing.

Can you tell me anything about the three indicator dots on the battery? One black, one green and one yellow? Close by is a port (looks like a transparent top). Is that where you view for the indicator dots? Mine was black, which signals low charge.

Any information on this?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='757775' date='Jan 2 2009, 12:47 PM
Very good point since hydrogen gas is created when a conventional battery is under charge. However, the batteries on BMW have vent tubes that exit the body.

I have not found it necessary to open the trunk for ventilation.

Your post prompted me to look at my battery. Found the drain ... it is smaller than it looks on the line drawing.

Can you tell me anything about the three indicator dots on the battery? One black, one green and one yellow? Close by is a port (looks like a transparent top). Is that where you view for the indicator dots? Mine was black, which signals low charge.

Any information on this?
Yes, that clear circle / port is where the battery condition indicator is - you may need a mirror and light to view inside correctly. If the inside circle is black you should have the charging circuit and battery condition checked. One easy way to determine where the fault may lie is to use a VOM on the battery terminals. With the engine running if you see 13V or higher it's a good sign the alternator is producing sufficient charge for the battery. If, when you turn off the car and see battery voltage at less than 12V and the battery voltage drops and stays lower with the headlights on and the engine off it's a pretty sure sign that your battery is not able to maintain its charge and is likely to fail [usually when you least expect it to!].

Beyond those basic checks, because BMW charging circuits are very complex, it's bring it to a dealer to plug in an investigate. There is no point in replacing a battery (IMHO) if the cause of its dead state hasn't been corrected. In many cases it's a problem of loose or corroded terminals - that's the first and the easiest place I'd start to look!

Oh ... and don't forget, BMW will expect you to drive your car according to some "real world standard" to ensure the battery level can be maintained. I say, the battery and charging capacities need to be re-engineered to ensure both are capable of maintaining battery charge during usual driving conditions [say like those under BMW's standard lease = 10K miles /year equivalent to 27.3 miles per day).
Old 01-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

FYI.....I have had my 545 stored in a Canadian garage in below 0 temps since November 28. I read this thread last night and was a bit nervous but it fired up today with not even a hesitation.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by simmer' post='758720' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:27 PM
FYI.....I have had my 545 stored in a Canadian garage in below 0 temps since November 28. I read this thread last night and was a bit nervous but it fired up today with not even a hesitation.
I'd call you LUCKY!
Old 01-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='758753' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:08 PM
I'd call you LUCKY!
+1
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='757482' date='Jan 1 2009, 11:36 PM
Mine attaches to the terminals under the hood with clips. BTW: Don't get the kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter--they aren't compatible with the 5 series.

Hey guys, are you attaching the leads from the tenders direct to the jumper posts under the hood?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

This problem is sort of a two edged sword. We rely so much on the electronics of the car to do so many things, and the down side is all of those sensors, meters, etc need a small amount of current to store information. With all cars, there is a benchmark in which the engineers design around. The assumptions made is that the car will be driven a certain amount over a given time. If you fall below that, you get the dreaded unfavorable driving mode. My friend Bruce drives a manual 550 from his house to work and back. He was having the same problem with the battery and the service department till they found out he was a lawyer. Then they ponied up for the trickle charger. I swear by the battery tenders, I have them in both Porsches, the Rover, the boat, and the 210. Although the 993 will go for months on a charge, the 964 lasts two weeks and it is dead as disco.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by simmer' post='759371' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, are you attaching the leads from the tenders direct to the jumper posts under the hood?
I may be wrong, but I VOMed the + post (and a close by ground) under the hood and found no voltage with the igniton fob out.

So I hard wired to the battery.

Will attach some pics in a few days.

sixcard
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='759655' date='Jan 5 2009, 05:39 AM
I may be wrong, but I VOMed the + post (and a close by ground) under the hood and found no voltage with the igniton fob out.

So I hard wired to the battery.

Will attach some pics in a few days.

sixcard
That's just as convenient - and you can extend the connector wire to the storage pocket on that side and keep it handy for connection as well as hidden for cleanliness! It's actually easier (for me) to open the trunk than to open the hood.

Of course you may need to use a suitable extension cord to attach the battery tender to reach a 120v outlet.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i (Canada); Deep Sea Blue Metallic; Creme Leather; M Sport Package; Premium Package; Nav Package.

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='753018' date='Dec 26 2008, 10:16 AM
There have been several incidents where on starting, I would get an ?initialize? active steering (AS) warning accompanied by much of the instrument cluster (clock, date, accumulated mpg and mph) being zeroed. The AS activates in a few minutes of driving.

Early in 2008 the dealer said the problem was fixed via a software update.

When it began again in the last few weeks I took it back to the dealer. Now they tell me the only fix is to use a trickle charger.

Seems that I drive too many short trips and the battery cannot recover the charge. In a sense, the battery charge just gradually fades until it cannot crank the engine without stealing from other needs.

Actually, I guess this could make sense. So BMW should come equipped like a golf cart. Built in trickle charger with a plug in receptacle (next to a Roundel) so I can plug it in when I garage the car, right? For $72K that seems reasonable. I had to get near profanity to get them to buy the charger for me.

I am not an electrical engineer, but I know a bit about volts, amp, watts, their relationship and DC power. How about a larger capacity battery and/or alternator? No dealer rep suggested a new battery.

BMWs are top of the line in my book. But they just can?t seem to build a car for an old fart that just drives to the grocery store and liquor store once a week, and burns the cobs out once a month.

Besides empathy, can anyone shed more light on this issue?

Can I find an official BMW document that discusses this issue?

Thanks sixcard
I just had this problem myself. I left my car for two weeks over the Christmas vacation, and when I returned it wouldn't start. This is the second time I've had to jump start the car (in 6 months of ownership). On another occasion, I had to reset the clock upon starting, after receiving a warning that the battery was too low to maintain the time of day. Also, when I originally test drove the car, the battery was dead from sitting on the lot.

I called the SA. He told me I'm probably not driving enough, and need a trickle charger. He said I certainly cannot leave the car for two weeks and expect it to start.

Interesting. I typically leave my car at the airport for up to a week or more. I'm not going to be too happy if it doesn't start. I can understand if the cars require sufficient driving to charge the battery. But it's not acceptable if the car draws that much current when it's parked that it will drain the battery in a week or two.

Very frustrating.

Quick Reply: Trickle Charger