E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tremors

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='304069' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the posts - I'm confident it's not a tyre issue as I haven't dinged the wheels, don't have run-flats and the tremor is very irregular - not like a balancing issue.

EBMCS03 - you might be onto something. I tried reving slowly as you suggested. When the engine is under load it is smooth - no tremors, but when I lift of the gas there is some rocking from the engine, which feels a bit like the tremor I had noticed. If I gently blip the throttle and release I get an accentuated version of this. Obviously a certain amount of engine movement is to be expected - but I think perhaps this could be the issue.

It does feel a bit more like weight shifting around rather than something transmitting up from the wheels.

I'd be interested to know what you were thinking - at the moment I'm wondering if it could be an engine mount problem or balance shaft - either that or something wrong with the suspension.

Please let me know anyway - I'm going to phone my dealer tomorrow and get him to have a look too - better safe than sorry.

You are a perfectionist, aren't you

Not maybe only a wheel problem but also a diesel "engine brake one".

Pump it up and down all the way...?

It also could be the drive chaine, tranny or the reartrans.

I just hope you have the warranty on it.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='304069' date='Jun 27 2006, 01:15 PM
but when I lift of the gas there is some rocking from the engine, which feels a bit like the tremor I had noticed. If I gently blip the throttle and release I get an accentuated version of this. Obviously a certain amount of engine movement is to be expected - but I think perhaps this could be the issue.

It does feel a bit more like weight shifting around rather than something transmitting up from the wheels.

I'd be interested to know what you were thinking - at the moment I'm wondering if it could be an engine mount problem or balance shaft - either that or something wrong with the suspension.

Please let me know anyway - I'm going to phone my dealer tomorrow and get him to have a look too - better safe than sorry.

If thats what you're experiencing... initial guess would be engine mount. I think we've heard of a few cases here before... so thats not out of the question.

What I was really testing for was to see if there was vibrations from the engine at a certain RPM like constant steady vibrations from the engine at like 1200 rpms and no vibration at 1100 or 1300. If that was the case I was going to venture to guess overfill on engine oil.

I know some engines have harmonics... like the V8s have some harmonic vibrations at 1200 and 2400 rpms but is very slight... and if the engine has too much oil in it. it'll amplify the vibrations.

So I guess in your case demostrate it to the dealer and see waht they say... if they scratch their head then suggest engine mount.

Good Luck. and report back. I'm curious to know what the problem is.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='304206' date='Jun 28 2006, 01:17 AM
I know some engines have harmonics... like the V8s have some harmonic vibrations at 1200 and 2400 rpms but is very slight... and if the engine has too much oil in it. it'll amplify the vibrations.
I was thinking harmonics too. I think the diesel engine has a spot around 1400-1600rpm where it can be a little 'rough'...
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

Thanks again for your help guys - I think I can rule out anything like engine harmonics, since I am pretty confident that the car was fine on the way down to London on Sunday.

As soon as I pulled away on the way back I thought the ride felt 'fidgety' and 'crashy' so if there is anything wrong it happened then.

I've checked the oil a couple of times in the 5 months I have had the car, but it's always been fine and I haven't put any in - so excess oil can't be it.

I'm also wondering if it's something to do with the torque converter

Time to ring the dealer - I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

(oh and the warrenty runs till Mar 07 - so no need to panic )
Old 06-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Well I knew this would happen.

Just dropped into the dealer and a mechanic gave it a short road test. He said very little when he was driving. But then checked the tyres / wheels on the ramp and said they were fine.

He didn't think there was anything wrong and that the ride was right for the big wheels. I still think
something's changed.

Anyway good news is that he wiped down my door seals with silicon remover and they have stopped creaking (it had come back again recently).

he said that it was due to the use of wax with silicon compounds which dry out the seals. He recommended autoglym which is apparently silicon free.

humphh.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='304515' date='Jun 28 2006, 03:53 PM
Well I knew this would happen.

Just dropped into the dealer and a mechanic gave it a short road test. He said very little when he was driving. But then checked the tyres / wheels on the ramp and said they were fine.

He didn't think there was anything wrong and that the ride was right for the big wheels. I still think
something's changed.

Anyway good news is that he wiped down my door seals with silicon remover and they have stopped creaking (it had come back again recently).

he said that it was due to the use of wax with silicon compounds which dry out the seals. He recommended autoglym which is apparently silicon free.

humphh.
Felt exactly the same and discounted engine tremour as speed related on my 525D. My tremour is definitely related to tyre wear on my ordinary tyres (Perelli P7's on 255/55 R16 ). Perhaps the suspension set up causes uneven wear or strange behaviour on the tyres it was not designed for? Let us know what happens nexttime the front boots are changed.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

I had a long drive on Friday and this really started to bug me - it also started to feel more like a vibration - so I called into the tyre place that afternoon for a re-balance (?10.50).

And .... both front tyres were out of balance. The manager said they had probably 'thrown a weight' but this has never happened to me before and I couldn't see any evidence (wheels were pretty scruffy with brake dust so I sould have been able to see if a weight had come off.

Anyway - car is MUCH better now - so all's well.

Sometimes the most obvious explanation is the right one

Also - after the BMW man treated my door seals they were fine for a day then WORSE THAN THEY HAVE EVER BEEN. Don't know if it was what he did or cause I had my car waxed at the supermarket on Saturday.

I followed the WD40 advice yesterday and this morning - SILENCE.

Feel like I got me car back - GREAT