E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission update and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.
Thumbs up

Greetings, fellow members:

As many of you know, I've experienced the harsh shifting and the slam at slow speed that many members are experiencing. A few weeks ago, my dealer downloaded the latest software v.31.1 and after driving for nearly 900 miles, I've noticed the harsh shifting is down to about 7-8 times per 20 miles, while the slam remains unchanged. The slam I experience is mostly when I am slowing down to a near-stop and then re-accelerate before coming to a complete stop. It feels like a long delay between pushing the gas pedal and then finally getting a sudden jolt from the car, as it starts moving. My wife has mentioned the same thing, so I really don't think it's my driving style.

Anyway, this morning I left the car with the dealer, and after looking at the car again, they called me and said that they just ordered a new transmission under warranty. Ok so far, so good.

My questions to my esteemed friends on this forum are:

1) Have you ever had a transmission replaced by a dealer? If so, did you have any problems related to the replacement or because of it? Things like rattles, squeaks, vibration, etc.

2) Do you think that the transmission replacements are the same exact transmissions or are they an improved design? Part number is listed as 24-00-7-548-368 described as "RMFD AUTOMATIC TRANS."

3) After how many miles should I replace the fluid on the new transmission allowing for a period of "break-in?" I am aware that BMW claims 100K miles, but I am beginning to believe that many of these transmissions are failing because the fluid is not being replaced after break-in and regular 30-40K miles intervals thereafter?

4) Should I even go head with the transmission replacement? I am afraid I'd be opening a Pandora's box of sort.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer to all or any of the questions.

Sadly, my car is only a 2006, 525XI with 37K miles on the odo (fairly new).
Old 11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='713355' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:30 PM

As many of you know, I've experienced the harsh shifting and the slam at slow speed that many members are experiencing. A few weeks ago, my dealer downloaded the latest software v.31.1 and after driving for nearly 900 miles, I've noticed the harsh shifting is down to about 7-8 times per 20 miles, while the slam remains unchanged. The slam I experience is mostly when I am slowing down to a near-stop and then re-accelerate before coming to a complete stop. It feels like a long delay between pushing the gas pedal and then finally getting a sudden jolt from the car, as it starts moving. My wife has mentioned the same thing, so I really don't think it's my driving style.

Anyway, this morning I left the car with the dealer, and after looking at the car again, they called me and said that they just ordered a new transmission under warranty. Ok so far, so good.

1) Have you ever had a transmission replaced by a dealer? If so, did you have any problems related to the replacement or because of it? Things like rattles, squeaks, vibration, etc.

2) Do you think that the transmission replacements are the same exact transmissions or are they an improved design? Part number is listed as 24-00-7-548-368 described as "RMFD AUTOMATIC TRANS."

3) After how many miles should I replace the fluid on the new transmission allowing for a period of "break-in?" I am aware that BMW claims 100K miles, but I am beginning to believe that many of these transmissions are failing because the fluid is not being replaced after break-in and regular 30-40K miles intervals thereafter?

4) Should I even go head with the transmission replacement? I am afraid I'd be opening a Pandora's box of sort.

Needing a transmission replacement on such a young vehicle is disappointing; my previous trans experiences were with e32 and e38 740s. Both models has a history of transmission failures. They were serviced with a replacement remanufactured BMW transmissions. That set of experiences were what helped guide me to a 6 cyl e60. I do miss the torque of a V8 but feel the weak drivetrains were not yet resolved.

The life-time transmission fluids (IMHO) are referring to the life of your original factory warranty. After that, you're on your own. And to consider replacing several hundreds of dollars of BMW Specific transmission fluid at 30K miles is a sad commentary on a component that needs serious examination. Especially since the fluid and filter replacement may not be a guarantee that a trans failure will be avoided.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 90 325i, 97 328i, 06 530i

I don't think this is of any help but I had a problem with my old 328i where it would sometime slam when upshifting from 1 to 2nd and also when putting it in part. I changed the fluid and never had that problem again.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I have been told that our forum is full of E60 experts amd even BMW reps. Please, pretty please, won't you help a brother? I promise I will post the outcome to help others.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='713355' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:30 PM

Nope

you can check with realoem.com to see what the original part number. The RMFD, sounds like remanufactire which is standard procedure even if you pay for it. I haven't heard anyone getting new trans almost always remanufactured

I changed my trans fluid on my X5 and @40K miles it's real ugly, that's with no towing, off-road or track in other word normal use; can't imagine if you tow or abussive. For you don't worry about ATF since dealer will put new one with new hardware

if done at dealer you shouldn't worry too much, they drop the old trans and put new one. Just ask for new waranty on trans all the way to 100K miles on the new-remanufactured one

Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I had my SMG transmission replaced early on in my 2004 545. No problems since and you could not tell it was changed from a noise/rattle/squeak perspective.