E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Padilla74
Hi Kyle, hope all is well. So I'm getting ready to send out my valve body and wanted to ask a few questions. Once i get it replace and add the oil and filter, can i drive the car without resting the adaptations? reason i ask is that my mechanics shop few miles from my home and i would need to drive the car there so he can hook it up to the machine to reset everything. would this affect the car in any way? Thanks
Yes you should be fine driving the car. I still would reset adaptations as soon as you possibly can, but it certainly shouldn't prevent the car from being drivable.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Removed valve body which wasn't so bad. Removed the TCM and will ship the valve body tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I hope all goes well with your trans when you put it back in. Did you also but the gaskets to replace?
Old 07-03-2015, 04:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

Removed valve body which wasn't so bad. Removed the TCM and will ship the valve body tomorrow.
Don't forget to replace the four sealing sleeves and the square 'bridge' seal before you reinstall the new valve body! They're cheap parts, only accessible with the valve body out, and if they're worn (highly likely) you will be doing this whole job over again.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

I'm interested in this. I have an 04 545i. Only has a coasting jolt once in a while. Since it's an 04 I'm able to do the gas pedal reset of the trans & it runs fine for a period of time. (Seems to do it more when it's hot out).

Anyway I'm thinking of trying a solenoid rebuild or full VB rebuild. Subscribed.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
Don't forget to replace the four sealing sleeves and the square 'bridge' seal before you reinstall the new valve body! They're cheap parts, only accessible with the valve body out, and if they're worn (highly likely) you will be doing this whole job over again.
so I was able to install the valve body once again and the gears are shifting pretty smooth but when I get to fourth it hesitates to go into 5th and i get this code. 4f8a gear ratio monitoring, 4th-5th gearshift. any ideas?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

so I was able to install the valve body once again and the gears are shifting pretty smooth but when I get to fourth it hesitates to go into 5th and i get this code. 4f8a gear ratio monitoring, 4th-5th gearshift. any ideas?
Did you also replace bridge seal and the four sealing sleeves? Are you 100% positive your fluid level is correct? Which fluid did you use?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Members

QUOTE=KyleB;1566995]Did you also replace bridge seal and the four sealing sleeves? Are you 100% positive your fluid level is correct? Which fluid did you use?[ QUOTE]

I used about 6quarts of zf lifeguard 6 fluid. I did replace the bridge seal but i couldn't find the 4 sealing sleeves. I want to say yes about the fluid but how can i be 100% sure that it's filled correctly? I pumped about 4 quarts first, then started the car went thru the gears and waited for it to warm up (between 40-50 c) and pumped almost 2 more quarts. Before i plugged the fill plug, i made sure that the oil had a small stream coming out of the fill plug. i haven't checked it since then but can i get some advice so I'm sure it's at the proper level? Thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If you follow the refill procedure you did it right. It seems that you have. You got two quarts in the first try. That was good if you didn't have help. Was the car leveled when you put the fluid in? I know mine took about 6.5L on refill. Then again it sat for a few days leaking what was left over. The only way to check is lift it back up and start the warm fill up again and see if it takes more.

I would have ordered the sealing sleeves from the dealership. They are out there. Without replacing them you cant really know if the VB is the issue. The sleeves could be worn or cracked causing you to loose pressure giving you what you the error. Also did you change the mech sleeve?
Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
If you follow the refill procedure you did it right. It seems that you have. You got two quarts in the first try. That was good if you didn't have help. Was the car leveled when you put the fluid in? I know mine took about 6.5L on refill. Then again it sat for a few days leaking what was left over. The only way to check is lift it back up and start the warm fill up again and see if it takes more.

I would have ordered the sealing sleeves from the dealership. They are out there. Without replacing them you cant really know if the VB is the issue. The sleeves could be worn or cracked causing you to loose pressure giving you what you the error. Also did you change the mech sleeve?
Yeah I changed the pan, bolts on pan, and mech sleeve.
I just ordered the 4 sleeves. I was finally able to find them at a local dealer. I'm going to drop the VB again and replace the 4 sleeves. Also if the bolts aren't torqued to the specific NM would that effect it? I do have a torque wrench but it was on ft/lbs and not newton meters. When the oil is full does it drip? Or does it come down like a stream? I followed the directions from the zf guide but then again I'm not sure since there isn't a dip stick

Quick Reply: Transmission Solenoid