E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing the seal/adding more fluid is just going to help keep fluid in. It's possible, likely even, that something else is really the issue, solenoids being likely. Replacing the whole mechatronics unit would be an almost for sure fix, but it would cost more then just solenoids

Here is a video I did of changing the solenoids. Sorry, my camera died towards the end so I didn't get video at the end, only pictures

Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi (Silver)

Hey, i am thinking of doing solenoids aswell. My plan is for now to top up the trans fluid (if low, the dealer told me i had a small leak) and drive for a few days to see if my problem is resolved. If the top indeed worked, i am going to replace seal and refill with new fluid. If the problem persist i am going to do solenoids/sleeve/fluid and get my transmission reset from somewhere. btw since you where under a e60 with 6hp19, could you tell me how hard would it be to replace sleeve myself? and how did you jack up the whole car (if possible could you make a video)?

thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 06:49 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60

aye bro i have the same issue.... i thought it was the mechatronic valve sleeve but it wasnt...i added fluid to the transmission using bmw approved fluid.... still didnt stop the rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th. the 1st to second rough shift is more present when when not comming to a complete stop at the stop sign. (califonia roll)lol but the 5th to 6th is always garaunteed to b a rough shift i did more reserch and there is a guy that had the same issues with shifting...he purchased new mechatronic solenoid pack for about $500 solved all of his shifting probs.... just do more searching on google for e60 rough shifting..... dont let an indy tell u that the trans needs to b rebuilt, unless its slipping.... and also do a transmission reset, car off door closed, turn key to the start position without starting it and press accelerator all the way down for 30 seconds. turn car off then start and this will change transmission adaptation back to learn mode for 1000 miles or so.... its on youtube.com
Old 11-22-2013, 07:11 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi (Silver)

Aha, they should do some sort of recall on this and fix the sleeve issue for free, almost everyone is having this problem but anyways i am lucky not to have the issue you are describing. My car only shifts hard into first (usually when cold), rest of the shifts are smooth as butter. I am now planing to order the solenoids, if i am down there might aswell do them. I have a appointment booked for sunday at my local mechanic, he said he could top it off for me. Hope it solves the issue. thanks for all your guys help!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:25 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by e60rider
Hey, i am thinking of doing solenoids aswell. My plan is for now to top up the trans fluid (if low, the dealer told me i had a small leak) and drive for a few days to see if my problem is resolved. If the top indeed worked, i am going to replace seal and refill with new fluid. If the problem persist i am going to do solenoids/sleeve/fluid and get my transmission reset from somewhere. btw since you where under a e60 with 6hp19, could you tell me how hard would it be to replace sleeve myself? and how did you jack up the whole car (if possible could you make a video)?

thanks
For the front if you look under the car from the front, there is a piece of plastic that covers the subframe (right under the steering rack). You can jack the whole front of the car up front of the car up from that point, then use jack stands to hold it. I like to leave rhino ramps or something under the wheels too just to be sure I'm not getting crushed

For the rear, you just have to jack up one side at a time--I have read you can jack it up from the differential but I wouldn't try it. Doesn't look like a good idea