E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Seal Failure @ 46K miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

My Transmission Seal Failed @ 46K miles, however my warrenty expired 2 months ago.
Do our cars have known problems with transmission seal failures at this low milage?
What should I tell the dealer inorder to try and have it covered? Any SIB's on this subject?
Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by nonames123' post='785016' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:08 AM
My Transmission Seal Failed @ 46K miles, however my warrenty expired 2 months ago.
Do our cars have known problems with transmission seal failures at this low milage?
What should I tell the dealer inorder to try and have it covered? Any SIB's on this subject?
Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Mines failed a few months ago. I have an extended warranty with Fidelity, so it was covered with that, sans deductable & programming fee (not covered). I paid just under $200. The total cost on the invoice was about $980.00. I havent heard about any SIB's, but others may have. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction. My thoughts are they should be covered for the life of the car, considering BMW gives us no opportunity for preventive maintenance and checking by sealing the units.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

I'd try these steps

(1) Talk to the Service Dept Mgr and explain to him that your car is barely out of warranty. Sometimes they'll help you out either by paying it in full or asking you to only pay for labor.

(2) If that doesn't work, call BMW North America and tell them what's going on again and see if they can help you.

Michael

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='785026' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:19 AM
Mines failed a few months ago. I have an extended warranty with Fidelity, so it was covered with that, sans deductable & programming fee (not covered). I paid just under $200. The total cost on the invoice was about $980.00. I havent heard about any SIB's, but others may have. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction. My thoughts are they should be covered for the life of the car, considering BMW gives us no opportunity for preventive maintenance and checking by sealing the units.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='785179' date='Feb 4 2009, 05:37 PM
I'd try these steps

(1) Talk to the Service Dept Mgr and explain to him that your car is barely out of warranty. Sometimes they'll help you out either by paying it in full or asking you to only pay for labor.

(2) If that doesn't work, call BMW North America and tell them what's going on again and see if they can help you.

Michael
THANKS - I'll give it a try tomorrow
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

I assume both of these failures are Steptronics? It's way too early to see them to fail. what's your year/model?

Mike Miller at Roundel has warned about BMW's automatic transmissions forever. With these early failures, you don't even get to change the transmission fluid at 60K.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Members

My SA got BMWNA to pick up the cost of my alternator being replaced, just under $1000 I believe, when my warranty was only expired on time, But I was still under on miles. About 48000 if I remember correctly. That was the justification he said he used, so its possible, GL
Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='785179' date='Feb 4 2009, 02:37 PM
I'd try these steps

Michael

+1

BMW NA will generally work with you as long as you dont give them a lot of attitude and are reasonable.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by TMQ' post='785496' date='Feb 5 2009, 12:59 PM
I assume both of these failures are Steptronics? It's way too early to see them to fail. what's your year/model?

Mike Miller at Roundel has warned about BMW's automatic transmissions forever. With these early failures, you don't even get to change the transmission fluid at 60K.
nothing is way too early to fail or BMW dealers will be out of work
BMW say you don't need to change the transmission fluid at all, I don't trust them.
you change your transmission fluid at 60K miles.
Thats way too long time.
I did my in 45k km not miles and the oil was starting to become brown
Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

60K transmission fluid change for the automatics is recommended by several people (including Mike Miller at Roundel). I guess one can always change it sooner.

I bet 99% of the E60 owners have not changed their auto transmission fluid.

I think it's quite expensive?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by TMQ' post='786961' date='Feb 6 2009, 03:44 PM
60K transmission fluid change for the automatics is recommended by several people (including Mike Miller at Roundel). I guess one can always change it sooner.

I bet 99% of the E60 owners have not changed their auto transmission fluid.

I think it's quite expensive?
I got a quote of $298 from the part department just for the transmission fluid

I have to change it soon, my car already has 40K miles.

Quick Reply: Transmission Seal Failure @ 46K miles