E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A transmission Question for the BMW Vets..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.........I have an 08 550I with sports package and have felt that the transmission has had a bit of a problem shifting from the 2nd to the 1st gear when coming to a full stop.

It doesn't happen always but sometimes when it does that last shift it feels like someone has rear ended you. It is that bad.
So I have complained to the local BMW service guys and they have done a couple of transmission SW upgrades. Finally they said they can't do anything more than that since I haven't been able to reproduce the problem while having them in the car.

So last time when I took my car to them I was actually able to reproduce it with the foreman in my car. So they were able to escalate the problem to BMW of NA which approved a new transmission.

Sorry for the long winded tail but the real question is...........

What are the repercussions of getting the transmission swapped?
1) Since it?s the similar transmission would it solve the problem?
2) What impact would it have on the resale of my car when carfax would show a transmission swap?

Thanks in advance...........I am a little concerned with this.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

If you were buying a used car, and it had a new transmission, wouldn't you be glad??
Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by E60550I' post='979942' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:40 PM
2) What impact would it have on the resale of my car when carfax would show a transmission swap?
1) It should fix the problem but no guarantee. BMW should provide additional coverage to the powertran.
2) How would Carfax know about it? Dealer reports all warranty works to public.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

IMO no adverse effects on resale. If it were a car with a lot of miles, I'd consider it a plus for resale if it had a recently redone tranny.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545 alpine white/grey cold weather package, premium package

I dont think it should have a negative impact for re-sale. Taking my car to the dealers wednesday morning for the same issue, hope I will be able to reproduce the problem also, It's always a fight to get them to do anything on my car.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Members

Thanks for all the positive responses. I don't know if the warranty work shows up in the car fax or not. But in general I have seen a lot of people who don't know much about cars and warranties they tend to stay away from a car that has had something done on the engine and transmission.

So all I am worried is that it might not be easy to sell. It will add a stigma to the car. The minute I tell someone I have had the transmission replaced is going to raise a lot of eyebrows............ when its time to sell.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='979960' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:09 PM
If you were buying a used car, and it had a new transmission, wouldn't you be glad??
If you ask me I probably would not buy a car that has had the transmission done on it, especially a car of this calibre. Just because I would not know the details of it and would assume it probably has had other problems. Just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Contributors

A transmission "replacement" IMHO would not negatively impact resale value. Repeated transmission "repairs" would be a flag and I'd walk away from a pre-owned car with that reported in the BMW record! And yes, after such a replacement the new transmission warranty clock should restart. But, I don't think it does. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the replacement trans is warranted for 12 months / 12K miles unless already covered by the new car warranty.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, Cold Weather

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='980104' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:24 PM
A transmission "replacement" IMHO would not negatively impact resale value. Repeated transmission "repairs" would be a flag and I'd walk away from a pre-owned car with that reported in the BMW record! And yes, after such a replacement the new transmission warranty clock should restart. But, I don't think it does. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the replacement trans is warranted for 12 months / 12K miles unless already covered by the new car warranty.
I think what the OP is concerned about is not the trans replacement per se, but about what the act implies. If you're buying a used 550 or an M5, a trans replacement may mean a lot of abuse by previous owner (I DO NOT know any forum members that would do that to their leased vehicle), potential future failure of other components, and therefore become leery about buying the car.
In all other scenarios, a replaced transmission would be a plus I guess.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by E60550I' post='979942' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:40 PM
Hi all.........I have an 08 550I with sports package and have felt that the transmission has had a bit of a problem shifting from the 2nd to the 1st gear when coming to a full stop.

It doesn't happen always but sometimes when it does that last shift it feels like someone has rear ended you. It is that bad.
So I have complained to the local BMW service guys and they have done a couple of transmission SW upgrades. Finally they said they can't do anything more than that since I haven't been able to reproduce the problem while having them in the car.

So last time when I took my car to them I was actually able to reproduce it with the foreman in my car. So they were able to escalate the problem to BMW of NA which approved a new transmission.

Sorry for the long winded tail but the real question is...........

Thanks in advance...........I am a little concerned with this.

Damn!!! You are lucky. I cannot get the regional tech in my area to replace my transmission, he says it perfectly normal even though he has verified the real harsh jerky downshift when coming to a stop. I think that I may have to got out of state or out of this regional area to get my tranny replace. Look up my post to see what i have been through with BMW regarding the jerk transmission. Happy for you and feel real pissed about my car : {

Quick Reply: A transmission Question for the BMW Vets..........