E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problems: solenoid/valve body replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Model Year: 2004
Default Transmission Problems: solenoid/valve body replacement?

I am having problems with the ZF 6HP19 transmission in my newly bought 2004 530i. It's got around 127k on it, great condition, has always been dealer maintained. I've researched a lot, and I'm pretty sure I know what needs to be done but I'd like to hear about other's experiences before I spend too much money on the wrong thing.

Sporadically I would get the "trans fault" error when downshifting at high speed (like in order to pass on the freeway). Restarting the car always cleared the error. I ran the codes, and I got the following: 4F8A, 4F95, 4F85. These seem to be related to ratio monitoring: gearshift 4-5, clutch B-E, clutch e.

Now, it's permanently stuck in limp mode.

I suspect that a solenoid in the valve body was failing, and has now completely gone bad. My preferred option is to replace the valve body with a remanufactured unit ($800) but if something else is wrong (clutches) then I don't want to spend $800 to then have to then buy a whole $1200 used transmission.

So basically, has anyone had experience with this scenario? If so, did replacing the valve body fix your problem? I know there are other parts which can cause these errors, but just want to hear other opinions.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by gil_g
I am having problems with the ZF 6HP19 transmission in my newly bought 2004 530i. It's got around 127k on it, great condition, has always been dealer maintained. I've researched a lot, and I'm pretty sure I know what needs to be done but I'd like to hear about other's experiences before I spend too much money on the wrong thing.

Sporadically I would get the "trans fault" error when downshifting at high speed (like in order to pass on the freeway). Restarting the car always cleared the error. I ran the codes, and I got the following: 4F8A, 4F95, 4F85. These seem to be related to ratio monitoring: gearshift 4-5, clutch B-E, clutch e.

Now, it's permanently stuck in limp mode.

I suspect that a solenoid in the valve body was failing, and has now completely gone bad. My preferred option is to replace the valve body with a remanufactured unit ($800) but if something else is wrong (clutches) then I don't want to spend $800 to then have to then buy a whole $1200 used transmission.

So basically, has anyone had experience with this scenario? If so, did replacing the valve body fix your problem? I know there are other parts which can cause these errors, but just want to hear other opinions.

Thanks!
Yes, I replaced all shift solenoids, four sealing sleeves, bridge seal, Mechatronic sealing sleeve. Replaced pan/filter assembly, refilled with fresh Lifeguard6, reset adaptations. It worked for me, but it will only work if you address the problem right away. If you drove with your clutches slipping for an extended period of time, they're likely shot.

I documented this process in the DIY section of this forum.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Flguy76 (07-19-2020)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 AM
New Members

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately since I've had the car for three months, and I suspect that the previous owner had this on/off error for a while, I think that it's been driven with the problem for a while. I've heard that driving it with the error not only kills the clutches but can cause wear in the valve body.

So I suckered up and ordered a low-mileage 6HP26 transmission replacement. I think it's just more cost effective in the long run. We'll see how that swap goes...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately since I've had the car for three months, and I suspect that the previous owner had this on/off error for a while, I think that it's been driven with the problem for a while. I've heard that driving it with the error not only kills the clutches but can cause wear in the valve body.

So I suckered up and ordered a low-mileage 6HP26 transmission replacement. I think it's just more cost effective in the long run. We'll see how that swap goes...
I hope that's just a typo and you didn't order a 6HP26 transmission. It's not going to fit in your 530i. You need a 6HP19.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
I hope that's just a typo and you didn't order a 6HP26 transmission. It's not going to fit in your 530i. You need a 6HP19.
I thought so as well, at first. However this is a 2004 model, and the transmission that's currently in it is a 6HP26. So I went with what was there.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

I thought so as well, at first. However this is a 2004 model, and the transmission that's currently in it is a 6HP26. So I went with what was there.
Impossible. 6HP26 is only for V8 powered cars. It will not bolt up to an M54 block, which if you have an '04 or '05 525i or 530i, you have an M54 powered car.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 550i
Model Year: 2006

I have a 550i with 6HP26. The transmission fault 4F89 sometimes 4F83. The sometimes symptom are:
When using normal D shift: when it at 40-50km/hour, the engine is at about 1200rpm and when try to speed up, the transmission is trying to kick down the shift and the fault generated at that time.

When I drive at DS or Sport mode, this symptom has less chance to happen. There is not fault generated in the above situation but, when it has a long uphill, the transmission seems lazy to click down the shift. Sometimes even when I change to manual shift mode, it does change gear when to shift down.

My question: I want to buy rebuilt Valve Body and all the necessary sleeve and seals to replace. Would it solve my problem? Is there anyway to determine if other part of the transmission is still healthy?

Thanks you so much
Old 03-26-2018, 04:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i
Model Year: E60 2004
Engine: 545i / N62

Originally Posted by m5-fan
I have a 550i with 6HP26. The transmission fault 4F89 sometimes 4F83. The sometimes symptom are:
When using normal D shift: when it at 40-50km/hour, the engine is at about 1200rpm and when try to speed up, the transmission is trying to kick down the shift and the fault generated at that time.

When I drive at DS or Sport mode, this symptom has less chance to happen. There is not fault generated in the above situation but, when it has a long uphill, the transmission seems lazy to click down the shift. Sometimes even when I change to manual shift mode, it does change gear when to shift down.

My question: I want to buy rebuilt Valve Body and all the necessary sleeve and seals to replace. Would it solve my problem? Is there anyway to determine if other part of the transmission is still healthy?

Thanks you so much
I had the same symptoms in my 545. In my case the problem was cause by worn-out seals in the tranny. I did a full overhaul of the tranny and replace the valve body with a rebuild unit.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:22 AM
New Members

I ended up replacing my entire transmission instead of just the mechatronics. It was going to be $800 for a 6HP19/6HP26 valve body, or $1200 including shipping for a low mileage transmission from a front-end crash BMW.

Swapping the transmission took me about a day. No major issues. Been running strong for the past four years!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Have you changed your fluid? I would check the fluid and level first before changing parts

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems: solenoid/valve body replacement?