E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, carbon black on black, sport automatic, M package (M-tech), Premium package, tech package, USB...

I have been having problem on my transmission. I have had a hard time shifting from Park to Reverse. Not just on cold engine. It doesn't happen all the time, but I will say about 50% of the time it happens. Since I can't go from P to R, I had to go from P to D and then to R. Anyone else is experiencing the same problem? I don't know if it's just a problem with the sport tranny or the same thing with the auto tranny.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

A LCI auto trans you have?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, carbon black on black, sport automatic, M package (M-tech), Premium package, tech package, USB...

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='725393' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:42 PM
A LCI auto trans you have?
it's the LCI sport auto tranny.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I have a normal auto in my LCI car and have just had a software update which seems to have improved the selecting of auto modes on my transmission, although it was only reverse i sometimes had to select twice as it wouldn't go in first time occasionally. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=65731
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by 08E60' post='725387' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:39 PM
I have been having problem on my transmission. I have had a hard time shifting from Park to Reverse. Not just on cold engine. It doesn't happen all the time, but I will say about 50% of the time it happens. Since I can't go from P to R, I had to go from P to D and then to R. Anyone else is experiencing the same problem? I don't know if it's just a problem with the sport tranny or the same thing with the auto tranny.
Same problem here...It's been acting up for a week now. P --> R not engaging and seems to be getting worse. The old "put it in drive and quickly engage reverse" is not working anymore. A visit to the dr. seems to be in order...
Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='725417' date='Nov 19 2008, 03:05 PM
I have a normal auto in my LCI car and have just had a software update which seems to have improved the selecting of auto modes on my transmission, although it was only reverse i sometimes had to select twice as it wouldn't go in first time occasionally. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=65731
What the "F" is wrong with BMW? You'd think after 5 years of this model they would have gotten this transmission bullcrap down pat. Shame on them. This is something you'd expect from KIA and maybe that new, $2500 indian car, but a freakin high-end BMW? Shame, shame, shame. I'm so pissed right now I could pee sitting down. Never in 30+ years of driving slush boxes have I ever experienced any transmission problems including two 3 series both 100k+ miles, and now my transmission is being replaced on a 3 yr. old, 36K miles 5 series. none the less, with the real prospect of this happening again. I have seen nothing on this and other forums that they have even tried improving the design of the transmissions. They are simply replacing a badly designed transmission with another eually badly designed transmission. It sucks, and they should be ashamed of themselves. I wish I had read this forum BEFORE buying the E60. I love the comfort and the luxury that the E60 exudes over the 3 series, but I will never, ever buy another one even if they gave it to me for free. Well, maybe, I'll take it for free. Or maybe I'll buy another one. I dunno. I'm just pissed that they still have transmission problems after all these years.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by moschse' post='726262' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:16 AM
Same problem here...It's been acting up for a week now. P --> R not engaging and seems to be getting worse. The old "put it in drive and quickly engage reverse" is not working anymore. A visit to the dr. seems to be in order...
moschse,

I suggest you take it to the dealer ASAP. Since it will get worse when the weather gets colder. They just replaced what they call "the shifter" for me. And it's as smooth as silk now when shifting.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 AM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='726280' date='Nov 20 2008, 06:50 AM
What the "F" is wrong with BMW? You'd think after 5 years of this model they would have gotten this transmission bullcrap down pat. Shame on them. This is something you'd expect from KIA and maybe that new, $2500 indian car, but a freakin high-end BMW? Shame, shame, shame. I'm so pissed right now I could pee sitting down. Never in 30+ years of driving slush boxes have I ever experienced any transmission problems including two 3 series both 100k+ miles, and now my transmission is being replaced on a 3 yr. old, 36K miles 5 series. none the less, with the real prospect of this happening again. I have seen nothing on this and other forums that they have even tried improving the design of the transmissions. They are simply replacing a badly designed transmission with another eually badly designed transmission. It sucks, and they should be ashamed of themselves. I wish I had read this forum BEFORE buying the E60. I love the comfort and the luxury that the E60 exudes over the 3 series, but I will never, ever buy another one even if they gave it to me for free. Well, maybe, I'll take it for free. Or maybe I'll buy another one. I dunno. I'm just pissed that they still have transmission problems after all these years.
As far as I know, the transmissions used in the 3 and 5 series are mostly the same, across similar engine models.

Of course, BMW is notorious for the auto transmission issues, including the infamous "no reverse" issue. I haven't heard too much about this, but will monitor this closely.

It will be helpful to others if you could provide more specifics on your transmission failure. at least it's still within warranty.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

I was given an '08 loaner a few months ago, and that car had the infamous problem as well. I had only read about it up until then, and it was a real pain in the balls to experience it first hand. The loaner was probably some buy-back.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I actually have this problem shown as a sometimes happening non-logical behavior.

Maybe the CIP 31.2 would do good for my car also.
I don't know what Progman CIP I have now, never been to the dealers for service.

I have a late Dec. '07 (Christmas) built LCI 520dA.

The 520dA did get the new autogearbox (and the new engine M57D20TU) in September '07.

Quick Reply: transmission problem