E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everybody,

I have E60, 525i, year 2004, mealage 127 500 km. In case of slow acceleration in the range ~ 30- 40km / h (especially if slightly uphill) - looking at the speedometer can be seen as an arrow after 1500. starts jumping up and down in the range 200-300-hundred rpm with a frequency of about 1 leap second. And I feel light twitching. With intensive acceleration this is not observed or observed very slightly.
2. In manual mode it is OK
No fault is recorded by checking system. Ten days ago in official BMW service have been changed the transmission housing with plug and added Oil 0.5 ltr. Can be problem linked with it? Any ideas about problem diagnosis?

Thank you very much in advance
Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Members

I think I'm having the same problem! did some doughnuts the other day and got a warning that the transmission had over headed!
the next day i heard some noise during shifting in low gears...
it's at a shop now and I'm waiting to see whats up!

I thought it was an axle or baring at first, but the mechanic said he's pretty sure it's the tranny!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 AM
New Members

But in my case ther were no messages regarding transmission problem and no noise. And everything is fine with tranny sport mode? May be it is a software problem for automatic mode? I do not trust much to our officials (local BMW service center), that is why I would like to know other opinions as well... Thank you!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 AM
1UP
Members

Mine has been the same since I had the sump pan replaced and new transmission oil and filter. (note I also had the swirl flaps removed at the same time but i'm pretty sure this is not associated with the problem).

Since then I have had a few slow or lurching starts, some very odd gear changes (eg in D the box just wants to get into the highest gear as fast as possible) plus when cruising at 40+ mph and only just applying very light throttle the car seem to surge every second or so by about 2-300rpm, but disappears as soon as you apply just a bit more throttle.

When the sump pan was replaced the garage re-set the box to learning mode (and as yet I have not been able to get it back to the garage to try a second re-set to see if this has any effect). Reading round all the forums on this problem there are explanations all the way from a software reset through to a failing clutch/torque converter or even worse a failing mechatronics unit.

If anyone else has more to add please do as it seems this is not an isolated problem and there are a few of us suffering this issue.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 520d 2006 model

Hello guys. Same problem for me. I have a 520d with the 6hp19 automatic. I 've just reached
185000 km on the clock and a week ago i replaced my transmission with another used one bought
from ebay. First day of replacement was going well but the man advised me to make an oil and pan change in order to give it more life. Instead of that i think we damaged it. My experience
after 3 gear oil changes tells me that since not all of the dirt is coming out just 5.5 litres
of 9 total it is logical right after the change to face a bad behaviour on the tranny. I have read on another post that if you want to keep as good as you can your box it is better to proceed to a second gear oil change probably after a week. That's gonna give you about 90% of new oil in the box. Make sure not to mix a different brand and type of oil.