E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

You could order a replacement sleeve here http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...=187&parent=61 You might as well order the oil change kit at the same time and do that as well. It is not a difficult job, maybe half a day for a DIY owner. There are instructions on this board, just search. Or you could get a good independent BMW shop to do it for you.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Apparently the problem was caused by the low transmission fluid due to leaking at mechatronics sealing sleeve. I was too dumb not to have the car inspected while it was still under warranty a few months ago when I saw some clear liquid on the floor under the car. I was also surprised when the SA told me that transmission fluid level was not monitored by the computer (was wondering why I never got the transmission fluid low warning message). Anyway, long store short, in order to fix the problem the following parts were replaced:
Oil pan with oil filter; 21 torx screws; Brake cleaner; Sealing sleeve and 2 half liter oil. Parts cause $668.27 + tax and labor causes $620.00, for total of $1346.74.
Lesson learned - Have your car inspected by an independent authorized BMW service center before the warranty has expired or not have your car serviced at the dealer if the warranty has expired.

Also, my left front parking lamp was malfunction. Dealer charges $200.00 to fix it. I bought the light bulb from the parts department for about $60.00 and replaced myself with the help of my son's little hand.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Members

So... Your problem is solved? or does the work you mentioned still have to happen?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Oil pan with oil filter; 21 torx screws; Brake cleaner; Sealing sleeve and 2 half liter oil. Parts cause $668.27 + tax and labor causes $620.00, for total of $1346.74.

[/quote]
Hmmmm... they nearly tripled the on-line cost of parts.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Members

These Mechatronic sleeves are absolutley faulty. I had mine replaced under CPO but I had to threaten litigation before they would finally swap it out. I was ready to get a class action together.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bad Debt
These Mechatronic sleeves are absolutley faulty. I had mine replaced under CPO but I had to threaten litigation before they would finally swap it out. I was ready to get a class action together.
In case anyone is interested in the DIY for this: http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/6_...eplacement.pdf
Old 02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M

Originally Posted by Bad Debt
I have the exact same jerkiness in my auto trans shifting at low speeds, could i have the same issue? How do I get the dealer to fix this problem now that i am under factory warranty? I only have 45k and the car jerks at low speeds and is quite rough and unpleasant to drive.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Turtle
I have the exact same jerkiness in my auto trans shifting at low speeds, could i have the same issue? How do I get the dealer to fix this problem now that i am under factory warranty? I only have 45k and the car jerks at low speeds and is quite rough and unpleasant to drive.
If it is leaking, it should be pretty obvious. You tell them that you found some clear oily crap (looks like trans fluid) on the garage floor and would like them to check the level. They need to get it up in the air, drop the underbody panel(s) and unscrew the fill plug to test the level. If it is leaking, they will see fluid on the panel. You could DIY, it's pretty straightforward and it's documented on this site - just search.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by elhombre
hi,I have the same exact problem as Ballistic has.taking off is ok,but coming to a stop it jerks like getting hit from the back,I will be changing the tranny filter pan ,gasket,and fluid.then i will take it to dealer to get software 2-1 tip in to see if it helps....do any of you guys use a sprint booster?just want to see if that helps...thanks
You called it!!!! Mine shifts and drives smooth as silk, however, when I come to a stop I get a "jerk" as if the car is getting rear-ended! Please keep us posted. I'd love to resolve this issue. Thanks...
Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by Ballistic
So... Your problem is solved? or does the work you mentioned still have to happen?
So far so good after 72 hours. Much better and smoother drive than before.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem