E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Malfunction when wife/brother drives car

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Malfunction when wife/brother drives car

Hey everyone, I drive a 2007 530i. I've been seeing the dreaded Transmission Malfunction warning come on the iDrive when my wife or brother drives the car, but haven't had it when I drive it. I've tried the trans reset by holding down the accelerator for 25 with key in ignition, with no luck.

Typically the warning pops up around 80mph or sometimes after the car is slowing down to a stop, and picking up speed again on the side streets.

EDIT: Codes being thrown are P0700 & P17ea

When this happens, we pull the car over, turn it off and restart it and the warning is gone. I'm worried there is something wrong and through my searches it seems it can be anything from an alternator or solenoid, to a complete transmission replacement.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks

Last edited by korpse88; 02-06-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Members

Anyone think this may be a battery issue? Reading about that.

Boy wouldn't that be amazing ! lol
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Check if there are any trans fluid leaks under the car (electrical connector sleeve, pan are the usual suspects for leaks). If you see any signs of leak(s), you will need to verify the trans has proper amount of trans fluid.

How many miles on the car?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Members

Hey PCY

110k for me 2007

I have not noticed any leaks at all, just had radiator replaced due to a crack. However I have seen this trans malfunction before the radiator had problems, so I don't believe it's a result of that. But I am not entirely sure.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by korpse88
Hey PCY

110k for me 2007

I have not noticed any leaks at all, just had radiator replaced due to a crack. However I have seen this trans malfunction before the radiator had problems, so I don't believe it's a result of that. But I am not entirely sure.
At 110k, have you serviced the transmission fluid at all?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Members

Kyle - I have not serviced the transmission fluid.

I'm assuming this can be done at most mechanic shops? Any idea what this costs?

Thank you for your input
Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Kyle - I have not serviced the transmission fluid.

I'm assuming this can be done at most mechanic shops? Any idea what this costs?

Thank you for your input
BMW has revised its literature. 'Lifetime transmission fluid' is no more. It now has a 'Condition Based Service' interval of 100,000 miles. ZF manufactures your transmission, and recommends fluid replacement between 48000 and 72000 miles.

I would recommend you find someone who is familiar with the 6HP19 transmission that is in your car and have them drain the transmission fluid, replace the pan/filter assembly, and refill with fluid.

ZF has strict temperature requirements for filling its transmission. It is not as simple as 'drain it out, fill it back up', which is why I recommend you find someone who is familiar with servicing modern ZF automatic transmissions. This doesn't necessarily require you have the car serviced by your BMW dealer. This transmission is used by BMW, Rover, Hyundai; even Ford uses their version of ZFs 6HP26. Chrysler is also using ZF automatics in its cars.

Find a qualified mechanic that is well versed in ZF automatics, and have your fluid changed. When I ran my old shop (early 2000s), we cured many a transmission ill simply by doing a routine transmission service.

you can order parts yourself for less than $300 from thectsc.com

good luck.

Last edited by KyleB; 01-23-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Members

Thanks a bunch Kyle, would you recommend any preface procedures to be done before or alongside the the Transmission Service. Such as the alternator or battery?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks a bunch Kyle, would you recommend any preface procedures to be done before or alongside the the Transmission Service. Such as the alternator or battery?
Nope, not unless any of those other components have failed. If they're still in good working order, leave them alone.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 AM
New Members

You really need to figure out what the codes actually are..

New fluid can't hurt. thectsc.com has a kit with new oil pan (filter is built into it) & REAL ZF fluid.

I strongly recommend not using anything except the real stuff

Depending on the error you are getting, solenoids could be an issue at this point as well. I had all kinds of errors on my transmission that basically meant some clutches were slipping. After putting in new solenoids I haven't had a single error code and it drives like new. This is on a transmission with 207K miles

I have a video of installing the solenoids if you want. Most shops will try to replace either the whole transmission or the whole valve body / mechatronics instead of actually figuring out what's wrong. Solenoids will fix a lot of problems on these though

Quick Reply: Transmission Malfunction when wife/brother drives car