E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

transmission malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Long time no talk, hope everyone is well.

Had a strange issue with the E60 today. Started the car and a transmission fault came up on the screen. Thinking it was battery or something I turned it off and on but the same thing came up again. When I put the car in reverse it was making a very nasty CLUNK and GRIND noise and the RPM would almost drop to 0 and the car would feel like it was going to stall out, putting it in drive made the RPM shoot high and it would clunk as well. After letting the car sit for a while (engine off), I turned it on and everything is fine.

Only thing I could think of is last week on the highway, I was driving spirited with a E46 and shifted accidentally into M4 when I was in M5, the car redlined but everything was fine. I did it again when I was in M4, went to M3, car redlined hard again. I don't think thats the problem as automatic transmissions are supposed to have some "safety' feature that prevents the "money shift".

Any ideas? Car is a 2008 528i with 48k miles..

I forgot to add, when I started the car, it took a long time to crank. I had not driven in a few days, it started up fine in my garage, but at the store where this happened it took forever to crank.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Only time I've heard a clunk is when the gearbox was in limp mode and stuck in 3rd gear (because the battery was failing/failed). Taking it out of D, into N and back into D I heard a loud clunk, because it obviously went straight into 3rd gear.[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font][font="'Comic Sans MS"]First port of call would be to read fault codes IMO.[/font]
Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Sorry to hear. If you have an Indy shop have them Read the EM and IM and give you a copy of it and then ask them to clear both. I don't think reading P codes is goign to help you out with the EGS because a P code isn't going to cover BMW specific codes. Make sure your battery is up to par. The fact that your car took a long time to turn over + tranny issue is pointing toward electrical shortage.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 AM
Contributors

Sorry to hear about the unnatural noises coming from your transmission ... especially so soon and at such low mileage. I can't offer any "technical" advice at this point BUT I do recommend that if your car is out of warranty that you still get a dealer service manager and BMWNA involved ... NO WAY a failure like this is "NORMAL". I'm sure you are familiar with the "unwritten/hidden" warranty claims that BMW can process in situations like this (where a car is barely out of warranty) and a major failure occurs that is NOT the result of abuse or accident damage.

Good luck getting it sorted out!