E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Issues After Solenoid and Sleeve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Sport
Default Transmission Issues After Solenoid and Sleeve Replacement

After experiencing a transmission malfunction on my 2008 528i Sport (now at 117K miles) and unable to shift the car from park into drive a few weeks ago, the diagnosis by my BMW Indy was that one transmission solenoid had gone bad. He recommended all the solenoids, transmission pan and filter, electric socket sleeve, mechatronics adapter sleeve, all four sealing sleeves and transmission fluid be replaced to hopefully fix and avoid any future problems. Although the transmission seems to be shifting okay now, it is still not as smooth as it was before. It seems to be having a problem shifting smoothly into higher gears, especially on the highway when I step on the gas to speed up or pass another car. However, I am not getting any transmission malfunction warnings.

Then about a week ago, I was again unable to shift the car out of park one morning. However, this time no malfunction messages of any kind. After restarting the car about thirty minutes later, I was able to shift the car out of park and promptly drove it back to my Indy. He diagnosed it this time as some kind of "hiccup" causing the signal from the key fob not to reach the shifter. Since he was not able to duplicate the issue, he sent me on my way. Thus far, it has not happened again.

I had the job performed by a BMW Indy who has been servicing my car for almost two years now. He has always been very reliable and has given me great service. He claims to have reset the transmission adaptations. However, I am not certain this was done. I have been using the accelerator method of resetting the transmission every now and then to help solve the problem which seems to work for a day or two, then the issue seems to return.

At this point I am wondering if my transmission needs to be replaced. I am also considering getting rid of the car and buying a 2014 CPO 528i I have had my eye on at a local dealer. However, I love my E60 and I want to avoid getting rid of it if at all possible. I am also considering taking my car to a dealer to have them reprogram the car hoping it will solve the problem.

Although I am not a DIY guy, can anyone offer any recommendations as to what I might do next? I would much rather fix the problem if it is not going to cost me an arm and a leg and keep my car.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bmrboy2008; 11-27-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:18 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Hi.
In my experience of repairing valve bodies, your continuing issues are not uncommon.

It takes a little while for the transmission and the computer to settle down and start shifting properly.
The distance is usually about 100 miles but it can take longer.

My transmission took nearly double that.

If your Indy dealer did everything right then I would relax for a while and let everything have a little time.
If it continues i would be rechecking the fluid level again just to make sure.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:52 PM
New Members

Thanks E60Japanese.

Actually, the transmission work was done 1200 miles ago in late October. Resetting using the accelerator seems to help. However, the problem comes back again pretty quick. Makes me believe the adaptations were never reset to begin with. The car is drivable and I'm trying to take it easy on it. I just hope I'm not harming the trans by continuing to drive it.

I will ask my Indy if he will check the fluid level. The repair order says they used 6 liters. I am also thinking about taking the car to the BMW dealership that serviced the car when it was under warranty to have them reprogram or reset the adaptations.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Bmrboy2008; 11-27-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:38 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Sorry I never saw the date of your original post.

I would ask him to check everything as it doesnt seem right.

I have rebuilt 5 valve bodies after different degrees of problems but all have been perfect after about 100 to 200 miles.

My E60 had problems when I bought it.
The previous owner had driven it while it was in Safety mode for about 18months because he didnt have the money to replace the transmission which was the advice from BMW.

Its been two years nearly since I did it and I have never had any trouble with it since.
But about two months after I originally repaired it, I rechecked the fluid level and it did need a bit more.

I am not saying its your problem but the transmissions do need the correct level or they have all sorts of problems.

I will be interested to read what the Indy shop says if you get him to check it over again.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Bmrboy2008
Thanks E60Japanese.

Actually, the transmission work was done 1200 miles ago in late October. Resetting using the accelerator seems to help. However, the problem comes back again pretty quick. Makes me believe the adaptations were never reset to begin with. The car is drivable and I'm trying to take it easy on it. I just hope I'm not harming the trans by continuing to drive it.

I will ask my Indy if he will check the fluid level. The repair order says they used 6 liters. I am also thinking about taking the car to the BMW dealership that serviced the car when it was under warranty to have them reprogram or reset the adaptations.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.
That reset your doing with the accelerator isn't resetting anything except personal learning algorithms, which means how the car thinks you drive (slow or fast) and adjusts shifting patterns based on that. Holding down the accelerator makes your trans think you drive like a maniac, which means clutches engage and disengage faster. If you drive in DS you'll get the same effect. As E60japanese said the real adaptation (if done) takes a couple hundred miles. I'd take it to your indy and ask him to reset adaptation again if you aren't sure about it, for peace of mind. Your car should shift abruptly for the first couple days and that should tell you for sure that its reset.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:04 AM
New Members

After noticing the problem with the shifting after the work was done, I called my Indy, told him about my experience and asked him about his process in performing the update. We also test drove the car together, but not on the highway. He mentioned something about having to take the car out to drive it while he was performing the update. From what I have read thus far, the reset is a simple process usually done using INPA. During the test drive he said he thought the car was shifting okay. However, we never took it out on the highway.

My Indy has always been very reliable when performing maintenance work and replacing wear and tear items. At this point, I'm wondering if he performed the mechatronics work properly and if he did the reset properly. The car seems to be shifting just okay in lower gears. It is the higher gears it is having trouble with. Overall it is not as effortless to shift as it used to be.

Would it be better to take the car to a BMW dealer and have them do the reset/ update? I have already spoken to a dealer I am familiar with and they said at times repair shops bring BMWs to them to perform the reset/update after doing transmission work. It may cost me a couple of hundred dollars. However, at this point I'm willing to pay the dealer to get it right.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Bmrboy2008; 11-28-2016 at 09:15 AM.