E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Fluid Changed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgt
You stated you had some Red Line motor oil.
Is the Red line motor oil better than the rebranded BMW Castrol?
Did you use only "BMW" brand fluids for everything?

I'm basically thinking of going Red Line all around...

I've checked out Red Line's website and I like what I'm reading so far.
http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13
I have always done an "extra" oil change at 7,500 miles in between the BMW free factory service. I started using Red Line a few years ago at the recommendation of some guys at Turner Motorsport (they are local to me). Turner also used Red Line differential oil when I had the Quaife LSD installed. I think Turner uses Motul, which is also supposed to be very good, in their race cars now (sponsor money?)

Schneller, who just changed my fluids, also used Red Line for the differential but used BMW fluids for the transmission and coolant. I didn't ask why one company?s fluid was used over another. I assume they have experience as to what works best. For the transmission I would be very surprised if any shop would use anything but BMW fluid, there is just too much risk.

I have been very happy with the Red Line motor oil and will use it exclusively now that my free maintenance is over. The motor is definitely quieter and runs smoother with the Red Line. Red Line also seems to stay cleaner longer (better base stocks I think). Even though I?m not yet due for an oil change I plan on changing it this weekend anyway. My last oil change was at the dealer and the BMW/Castrol looks pretty dark to me on the dipstick since I ran the car at New England Dragway.

Soooo my perspective is...

Motor Oil - Red Line
Rear Diff - Red Line
Manual Trans - Red Line
Auto Trans - BMW specified
Brake Fluid - Super Blue
Coolant - BMW specified
Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

I do an oil change between the bmw service with red line 10w30. the results for me are Quieter and smoother. When I changed the bmw castrol the oil still had its protective qualities so that i know my engine is protected. when I go with the redline for the remaining 7k the life remaining in the oil by the next change is even greater than that of the castrol at the mid point. over cautious is better since i track the car and run the car at New England Drag way.

After I go to Monticello NY for 2 days!!! in June I will change the trans and diff as well.

Originally Posted by mhs525
I have always done an "extra" oil change at 7,500 miles in between the BMW free factory service. I started using Red Line a few years ago at the recommendation of some guys at Turner Motorsport (they are local to me). Turner also used Red Line differential oil when I had the Quaife LSD installed. I think Turner uses Motul, which is also supposed to be very good, in their race cars now (sponsor money?)

Schneller, who just changed my fluids, also used Red Line for the differential but used BMW fluids for the transmission and coolant. I didn't ask why one company?s fluid was used over another. I assume they have experience as to what works best. For the transmission I would be very surprised if any shop would use anything but BMW fluid, there is just too much risk.

I have been very happy with the Red Line motor oil and will use it exclusively now that my free maintenance is over. The motor is definitely quieter and runs smoother with the Red Line. Red Line also seems to stay cleaner longer (better base stocks I think). Even though I?m not yet due for an oil change I plan on changing it this weekend anyway. My last oil change was at the dealer and the BMW/Castrol looks pretty dark to me on the dipstick since I ran the car at New England Dragway.

Soooo my perspective is...

Motor Oil - Red Line
Rear Diff - Red Line
Manual Trans - Red Line
Auto Trans - BMW specified
Brake Fluid - Super Blue
Coolant - BMW specified
Old 06-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

Well came back from Monticello and had the trans, diff changed and the oil service done! Full program! Wow what a difference New Juice Makes!!! I had it done at the dealership in RI. I actually was shocked at what the bill came too. The cost was at least half of what the other 3 Indy shops quoted me. pm me if you want further details.