E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Fluid Changed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dentity
why the new pan and gasket...? i was thinking about having my transmission and differential fluids changed. I was going to contact village european... i met one of the techs at the Bentley Publishers meet on their service book for the E60.
The filter is built into the pan. If you want to change the filter (and you do) you have to buy a new pan.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by safetywork
Just to confirm, the price you wrote was from a dealer correct? Or was it from an independent shop? I have just over 50k miles on my '08 550i and was thinking about doing this. Perhaps I should have the spark plugs changed first at 60k, wait for the transmission flush till I'm closer to 70k then do the radiator flush around 80k.
I think so... Based on what I have seen quoted for new engines it sounds about right. Also a ZF 6 speed Auto trans is a very complicated piece of equipment. I don't recall having sen anyone advertise rebuilds, not sure if anyone besides ZF is qualified to fix them. So new or junkyard might be the only option.

My independent told me of a horror story where a guy with a 745 came to them with a bad trans. The customer sourced a used transmission and they had all sorts of problems with it. They installed the trans and when they started the car the computer immediately put the car in limp mode and basically refused to recognize and run the car with the replaced transmission.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Where did you go?
I'm in MA and considering a full fluid change since I plan on keeping the car for a while.
I'm currently at 62k with zero transmission issues and would like to keep it that way.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jgt
Where did you go?
I'm in MA and considering a full fluid change since I plan on keeping the car for a while.
I'm currently at 62k with zero transmission issues and would like to keep it that way.
Scneller BMW
26 Middle Rd
Newburry MA

978-481-3655

Small shop, nice guys, lots of M cars around... which I alwasy consider a good sign
Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Not only is the filter in the pan, but the heat cycling on the plastic trans pan causes warping and once you remove the pan, the pan will never reseal properly again and will leak.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Members

Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

When I've been to the dealer over the last 2 years I've asked probably 20 different people... and a few outside of dealerships IF I should change the transmission fluid... a majority of people always said NO. (I've even started multiple threads on here about the exact same subject.)

So my car now has 87k miles on it.... so is everyone telling me this to screw me so I end up needing a transmission? (I don't plan on getting rid of the car ever...)
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
jgt
Contributors

Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

"Lifetime" fluids my ass!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

Why would we be smarter then BMW engineers?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

We may be smarter than the accountants which don't want to pay for the change of fluid changes as part of the service. We may be smarter than the stock holders of the companies who want the transmission to fail due to lack of maintenance. We may be smarter than the politicians who pass laws forcing companies to reduce the waste produced aka oils
Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brianstash
When I've been to the dealer over the last 2 years I've asked probably 20 different people... and a few outside of dealerships IF I should change the transmission fluid... a majority of people always said NO. (I've even started multiple threads on here about the exact same subject.)

So my car now has 87k miles on it.... so is everyone telling me this to screw me so I end up needing a transmission? (I don't plan on getting rid of the car ever...)

I turned this over many times myself, finally I asked Mike Miller who writes Tech Talk for the BMW Car Club magazine Roundel. He said there is no such think as life time fluid and recommends a fluid change at 60k miles. So far I am very happy with the decision the transmission shifts better and doesn't get lost between gears when slowing down.

If you plan on keeping the car forever I would do it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Changed