E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Transmission failure. Possibly reduced acceleration... Drive mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 530d

This is the message coming up on my screen 50% of the time when I start the car. It lasts for a few seconds then it clears itself without a trace. No sign of any problems with the tranny. It's like it repairs itself.
Can't show it to dealer because when I try it just doesn't happen
They said they can't read error codes coz if the system is OK then there is no error stored. (is that so?)

Very annoying because it always has to happen when I have someone with me in the car and they always ask "how come your car is broken". Embarassing.

Any tips?

thx

Greg
Old 01-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='374060' date='Jan 5 2007, 10:15 PM
This is the message coming up on my screen 50% of the time when I start the car. It lasts for a few seconds then it clears itself without a trace. No sign of any problems with the tranny. It's like it repairs itself.
They said they can't read error codes coz if the system is OK then there is no error stored. (is that so?)

Very annoying because it always has to happen when I have someone with me in the car and they always ask "how come your car is broken". Embarassing.

Any tips?

thx

Greg
I have simalar issue with the right rear back up light. It goes out and I get a code. I checked the bulb and conection put it back in and it works fine. Message goes away. A couple days later I get the message again, and the lights out. I get to my destination and check it then it works fine, and the message is gone. Gremlins. Trany might be ready to go or a loose wire. Take a picture of the Error code and get it documented, so if it does go out later (after warranty if that is an issue) you will have some kind of proof. Maybe it will at least get the techs to take a look at it.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by f?nf drei?ig' post='374130' date='Jan 5 2007, 08:24 PM
I have simalar issue with the right rear back up light. It goes out and I get a code. I checked the bulb and conection put it back in and it works fine. Message goes away. A couple days later I get the message again, and the lights out. I get to my destination and check it then it works fine, and the message is gone. Gremlins. Trany might be ready to go or a loose wire. Take a picture of the Error code and get it documented, so if it does go out later (after warranty if that is an issue) you will have some kind of proof. Maybe it will at least get the techs to take a look at it.
You don't have any info on your car listed, but there was a tail light socket problem on 04 cars.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='374060' date='Jan 5 2007, 09:15 PM

Any tips?

thx

Greg
Seen the same thing once before when my battery was pretty low (had been running a 12v air compressor from the car without engine running). Was after a 5mile journey, then saw the error. Transmission was 'slamming' violently also. Switched off engine, and was ok after 5mins. Checked battery, and voltage was low.
Car went in for service the following week, had recharged battery in the meantime, but BMW technician told me that there were no fault codes stored, and that if it was a low battery voltage, I would have seen those symptoms, but nothing would be recorded.

Maybe worth having the battery/alternator checked?
I also remember from another thread, that some cars have had the low battery threshold set too high???
Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Members

I went to my dealer again yesterday and told them the problem is very annoying. The shifts are not very smooth either. I said I have warranty and if necessary they are going to have to replace the transmission. I mean, that's the warranty for!

He said he will make a few calls and try find a solution. So today he called back and said they are replacing some controller box on the tranny (I have noooo idea what) to start with. Then we will see. Part is ordered but could take two weeks (comes from factory).

I wanna add that a couple times I noticed a freaky grinding noise at kick-downs. Anyone else?

Greg
Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='376989' date='Jan 11 2007, 03:18 PM
I went to my dealer again yesterday and told them the problem is very annoying. The shifts are not very smooth either. I said I have warranty and if necessary they are going to have to replace the transmission. I mean, that's the warranty for!

He said he will make a few calls and try find a solution. So today he called back and said they are replacing some controller box on the tranny (I have noooo idea what) to start with. Then we will see. Part is ordered but could take two weeks (comes from factory).

I wanna add that a couple times I noticed a freaky grinding noise at kick-downs. Anyone else?

Greg
Mine is in the shop for the same or similar problem, when I start up 50% of the time I get a series of error messages as follows:

ControlSystem failure
Transmission failure
ABS failure
Servotronic failure
Run flat indicator failure

I have to reboot in order to clear it as the system does actually fail.... no power steering, trnsmission crashes into gear etc. It seems to fail to load the software codes. I have left it with them until Monday and borrowed a 530dA M sport with 172 19" wheels, it looks great but the ride is harsh, so I think I will probably go with the 535dSE, the new standard wheels look good, just a shame about the price increase, not much new added for the extra money comapred with 530d which gets auto air con thrown in!

Will let you know what they do to my car.

Simon
Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Members

Just got back from service. They replaced a part called "Megatronic". Not sure exactly but it controls transmission and a few other things. During my short test it seemed OK, ie. no warning message.

But they also said they had to replace the battery because it was too weak. Someone here mentioned that could be related to this problem.
Funny, they actually did it all under warranty (except battery) even though it has expired last year. Not that I mind

Greg
Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='383596' date='Jan 26 2007, 08:55 AM
Just got back from service. They replaced a part called "Megatronic". Not sure exactly but it controls transmission and a few other things. During my short test it seemed OK, ie. no warning message.

But they also said they had to replace the battery because it was too weak. Someone here mentioned that could be related to this problem.
Funny, they actually did it all under warranty (except battery) even though it has expired last year. Not that I mind

Greg

Fingers crossed it's fixed now!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I just got the "trans fault.... " message this morning and the car wouldn't move. Tried switching it off for a few mins, would go a couple hundred yards, and then stop. Then finally it juts wouldn't move (the car starts just fine) I finally gave up and called BMW RA. The car is being checked at the dealer.

I do have winter tires and was driving with the "DTC on, DSC Limited" due to the snow storm this morning. This happened about a 3 miles or so after I left home. Initially it seemed like the transmission was slipping and I attributed it to the road conditions. Hope it's not a major issue with the transmission.

:'(
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: At the moment I drive a 1998 E36 316 Individual.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='391104' date='Feb 13 2007, 06:37 PM
I just got the "trans fault.... " message this morning and the car wouldn't move. Tried switching it off for a few mins, would go a couple hundred yards, and then stop. Then finally it juts wouldn't move (the car starts just fine) I finally gave up and called BMW RA. The car is being checked at the dealer.

I do have winter tires and was driving with the "DTC on, DSC Limited" due to the snow storm this morning. This happened about a 3 miles or so after I left home. Initially it seemed like the transmission was slipping and I attributed it to the road conditions. Hope it's not a major issue with the transmission.

:'(

Hi I?m new here...

And have not yet bought a E60.

So when U talk about the transmission is it then the automatic/steptronic or the manuel.

Hope U understand. I?m from Denmark so my english is not the best

Quick Reply: "Transmission failure. Possibly reduced acceleration... Drive mod