E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Failure Message

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004 | 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Transmission Failure Message-dscn0206.jpg
I got this message this morning after my 1st stop :'( . I restarted the car and all was well. Yesterday I got similar message preceeded by Dynamic Drive Failure, OBC Failure and another one . Same thing. Restarted the car and all was well for the rest of the day.
Luckilly I am scheduled for my first "service" (at almost 11,000 miles) tomorrow .

I am hoping that this is just a software issue. The last time I had the car in at the dealer I had asked them to upgrade the software. I was told that unless there was a problem that they wouldn't do it. I think I'll get the upgrade now.

Anybody else got this one yet?
Old 10-18-2004 | 07:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Oct 19 2004, 05:11 AM
Attachment 2783
I got this message this morning after my 1st stop :'( .? I restarted the car and all was well.? Yesterday I got similar message preceeded by Dynamic Drive Failure, OBC Failure and another one .? Same thing.? Restarted the car and all was well for the rest of the day.
Luckilly I am scheduled for my first "service" (at almost 11,000 miles) tomorrow .

I am hoping that this is just a software issue.? The last time I had the car in at the dealer I had asked them to upgrade the software.? I was told that unless there was a problem that they wouldn't do it.? I think I'll get the upgrade now.?

[snapback]46588[/snapback]
Never seen this before. Kind of scary though. Glad it turned out fine so far.
Old 10-18-2004 | 08:12 PM
Members

Sorry to hear that but i got the same thing and also electronics failure
Old 10-18-2004 | 08:16 PM
Senior Members

Don't u just love BMW's sense of humor: "Transmission fault! Drive moderate"

God dam if I have a faulty transmission, Im pulling over for sure... heh heh...

Bunbun
Old 10-18-2004 | 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Sounds like the dealer needs to "reboot" your system. I had a similar occurence with transmission fault, followed by an emission system fault and finally an air bag fault. The trans fault was legit, but the others were not. A reboot took care of the latter.
Old 10-18-2004 | 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

realtyman, I hope it's just a reboot type problem. I'll venture a guess that you've got one of the highest mileage SMG's around. I hope there's not something bad looming on the horizon...
Old 10-18-2004 | 08:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 19 2004, 12:35 AM
realtyman, I hope it's just a reboot type problem.? I'll venture a guess that you've got one of the highest mileage SMG's around.? I hope there's not something bad looming on the horizon...
[snapback]46625[/snapback]
My thoughts exactly! I have not experienced any issues/problems/abnormalities with the SMG. It works fine.
I have actually been using the automatic mode about 40% of the time over the past couple of weeks (mostly when just cruising on the highway). Hopefully that's not what's causing the message (most likely not).

I'll let everyone know once it's diagnosed.

After 11K with SMG all I can say is that I like it more and more each day... And I LOVED it from day 1 .
Old 10-19-2004 | 12:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Oct 18 2004, 05:11 PM
Attachment 2783
I got this message this morning after my 1st stop :'( .? I restarted the car and all was well.? Yesterday I got similar message preceeded by Dynamic Drive Failure, OBC Failure and another one .? Same thing.? Restarted the car and all was well for the rest of the day.

I am hoping that this is just a software issue.? The last time I had the car in at the dealer I had asked them to upgrade the software.? I was told that unless there was a problem that they wouldn't do it.? I think I'll get the upgrade now.?

[snapback]46588[/snapback]
so were you still pleasant when you arrived pleasant street ? good luck on that .
Old 10-19-2004 | 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I got this message after I had my 545 SMG for only 1 week/ about 250 miles. It would not start at all and had to be flatbedded to the dealer. The dealer blamed it on a "software" problem and updated me from version 12.1 to 13.2. No problems since then.
Old 10-19-2004 | 09:27 AM
Contributors

Dropped off the car this AM. They have me in an X3. Not bad actually (wish it wasn't the 2.5 but it beats walking).
They said they would need the car for a couple of days so I'll post when I get it back.

He said I was the first one to bring in pictures of the error messages .

BTW the X3 has a temperature gauge .

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure Message