E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Diagnostic Help 4F8D, 2A98, 2AD0

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by teamsmith
. Did you pull yours apart yourself? Should I invest in a cable and one of the diagnostic software packages or just take it to a transmission place and let them figure it out?
Did the valve body repair myself. I posted a thread over in the DIY section. A cable and software are well worth the investment. It pays for itself the first time you use it.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT

Originally Posted by KyleB
Did the valve body repair myself. I posted a thread over in the DIY section. A cable and software are well worth the investment. It pays for itself the first time you use it.
Thanks again, Kyle. I know I can read this elsewhere and get a lot of other opinions, but can you recommend what cable and software pack I should get? My laptop is win7 and I've read that some software prefers winxp. I do have an old xp machine I can try to resurrect it really matters. Also, do I only need inpa for reading and clearing codes?
Thanks. I've ordered new pdc and antenna amp modules so I can start eliminating problems.

Last edited by teamsmith; 06-21-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
I just skimmed your post quickly and might have missed something, but I would look more closely at the alternator.

I don't know how cheap your cigarette lighter voltmeter is, but you shouldn't be seeing 13V on the system with your battery at less than an 80% charge.

Failure of the voltage regulator on the alternator can be very intermittent. When mine failed, the alternator ramp up was too slow, and with an already low battery charge the ECU and CAS would throw a low system voltage fault and kick out the terminal 30g relay, which provides power to the transmission control module and dynamic stability control modules among other things, lighting up the dash. I would pull over, turn off the engine, restart and it would be fine. But as time progressed and I monitored the cigarette socket voltmeter while driving the fluctuations in voltage were getting worse.

I would suggest you probe the connections under the hood with a multimeter while someone else starts the engine cold. Monitor the alternator ramp up voltage and have the person in the car occasionally call out the voltage they see on the cigarette socket voltmeter to check its accuracy against the multimeter. The first cigarette socket voltmeter I bought was terribly inaccurate but the one I have now is very accurate compared to a digital multimeter.
To follow up on this, what would you call 'too slow' for the alternator ramp up? It takes about 10-15 seconds to show 14.1 after starting. When I'm tapped in directly to the battery with a multimeter, it hits 14 just a bit faster than what I'm seeing in my cigarette volt meter. I can shoot a video if it would help. I would love to be able to diagnose the alternator or the voltage regulator. Both the independent and the dealer just zoomed in on the error codes, even after I told them that autozone tested the alternator as failing the 'diode test'.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:06 PM
New Members

Can an independant update the transmission software or can that only be done through the dealer?