E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I had my car in for an old recall notice and other service, including upgrade to 16.2. I complained about a transmission clunk, which was follwed by the car acting like it was in neutral even though it showed 1st gear (SMG transmission).

The post service report showed the "fix" for the transmission to be the software update. But, less than a mile out of the dealer's lot - clunk. Turn around, back to the shop, test drive with the shop foreman and fortunately, I am able to reproduce the clunk/stuck in neutral.

The foreman sent one email to Germany (PUMA procedure I believe) and the message came back - replace the entire transmission. I am scheduled for the change in about 2 weeks.

Because I have the SMG, I do not know if my clunk is the same problem others have had. But, if you can reproduce it for the service department, they have shown a willingness to do the right thing.

On a seperate note, I had complained about the AC smell and asked for a micro filter replacement. Rather than replace the filters, they deodorized. I prefer the musty smell to the smell of the cheap deodorizer. If given this option again, I would decline the service.