E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Default Transmission Assistance

Well, after doing the expandable coolant pipe and valley cover replacement, it would seem that my transmission is failing now. It could be the alternator though as I dont think it has been changed yet.

the transmission is shifting funny, not really slipping, but not smooth, and there is slight RPM surge while driving. I have a new battery in the car and the battery was coded two days ago, however got a little low prior to replacing the coolant pipe. Today the I-drive indicated trans malfunction, reduced speed yada yada, but when i shut it off and restarted the error was gone.

At this point i will go ahead and swap the alternator and see if that alleviates the issue, but if not, what route should i take on the transmission? Ebay has some used ones, and there is a shop here locally that advertises being able to rebuild mine, but i am a bit leery. im sure someone else here has replaced the trans, did you get a new one? manufactured? rebuilt?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by damian
Well, after doing the expandable coolant pipe and valley cover replacement, it would seem that my transmission is failing now. It could be the alternator though as I dont think it has been changed yet.

the transmission is shifting funny, not really slipping, but not smooth, and there is slight RPM surge while driving. I have a new battery in the car and the battery was coded two days ago, however got a little low prior to replacing the coolant pipe. Today the I-drive indicated trans malfunction, reduced speed yada yada, but when i shut it off and restarted the error was gone.

At this point i will go ahead and swap the alternator and see if that alleviates the issue, but if not, what route should i take on the transmission? Ebay has some used ones, and there is a shop here locally that advertises being able to rebuild mine, but i am a bit leery. im sure someone else here has replaced the trans, did you get a new one? manufactured? rebuilt?
I doubt that an alternator failure is the root cause of transmission malfunction BUT the e60s and most recent BMWs are supper fussy about system voltage etc. Before I went to the time and expense of replacing the transmission I'd have a thorough diagnosis done by a certified BMW indy or a BMW service center that you TRUST! Sometimes trans issues are resulting from low fluid. Leaks are common and some are simpler and cheaper to repair than a full replacement.

If you go the replacement route I strongly urge you to go with a BMW Re-manufactured unit. There is just too much uncertainty with a box from a salvaged car or a "used" transmission. The BMW piece may be more expensive but nothing compared to installing and DE-installing a bad box!

Good luck - and welcome to the world of "out or warranty BMW ownership"!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

There may have been trans code(s) set. As Luigi suggested above, thorough diagnosis includes reading the codes with proper equipment.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Members

ill have the codes checked again, just had it done a couple days ago. hopefully its something small
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

As others said, leaks are not uncommon for the trans as well as the engine, so look for that. Also, might want to check the version of software your trans has, older software versions were responsible for rough shifting (the dreaded "slam") and other issues, if you can get the system checked for leaks and voltage, might be a good idea to update the software as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Members

i did get a pretty good slam, and it is an 04, so there is a light glimmering at the end of the tunnel
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by damian
i did get a pretty good slam, and it is an 04, so there is a light glimmering at the end of the tunnel
I don't know for sure, but I read that there was another update to the trans software around a month ago. Get the latest you can possibly get and then have them reset it through INPA and you should see at least an improvement.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Members

thanks for the heads up, sir
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM
New Members

I haven't read the other responses, but:

Check oil level first. Mechatronics sleeve tends to leak. Low oil can cause all kinds of weird things
Consider changing solenoids next if you still have issues (~$400 for solenoids) instead of changing the whole thing). Much cheaper and fixed everything for me.